Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

im sorry but some people dont really get what is happening in england at the moment so i will enlighten you.

1. the econemy has gone down hill so all wages will now stay the same for the next 3 years

2. no one can afford houses to be built or to buy one that is on the market as intrest rates are stupid

3. interest rates have even stopped people having alterations and extentions on there houses as no money will be lent out.

4. people cant afford there lifestyle no more as wages have stayed the same but prices have gone up i.e pint of beer £3.00 loaf of bread £1.20 just 2 to mention taxi prices bus prices petrol deisal you mention it the price is stupid and i come from where it should be cheap in the south west of england

5. the big one the weather we have had 4 good days in what is called the english rivera not really happening to be fair where is the attraction in that.

6. the work situation has become so bad people cant get jobs you may say they are out there but they are not. im a bricklayer and we would have to travel to london to work(3.5 hours at least) the recession is coming beleive me i worked fro a major building company and they have said that in 6 months we will be in recession.

now for all those people that say i want to go back what the hell for. family will allways be there , on the phone txt whatever you can. there is no way any child can build a future in england even young adult there is nothing here for them to enjoy that they can afford.

you weigh up the pros and cons and you can see why im moving to oz i need to this place just cant offer me what i need. people think before you go back to england cause it could become a big mistake
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dyson99
im sorry but some people dont really get what is happening in england at the moment so i will enlighten you.

1. the econemy has gone down hill so all wages will now stay the same for the next 3 years

2. no one can afford houses to be built or to buy one that is on the market as intrest rates are stupid

3. interest rates have even stopped people having alterations and extentions on there houses as no money will be lent out.

4. people cant afford there lifestyle no more as wages have stayed the same but prices have gone up i.e pint of beer £3.00 loaf of bread £1.20 just 2 to mention taxi prices bus prices petrol deisal you mention it the price is stupid and i come from where it should be cheap in the south west of england

5. the big one the weather we have had 4 good days in what is called the english rivera not really happening to be fair where is the attraction in that.

6. the work situation has become so bad people cant get jobs you may say they are out there but they are not. im a bricklayer and we would have to travel to london to work(3.5 hours at least) the recession is coming beleive me i worked fro a major building company and they have said that in 6 months we will be in recession.

now for all those people that say i want to go back what the hell for. family will allways be there , on the phone txt whatever you can. there is no way any child can build a future in england even young adult there is nothing here for them to enjoy that they can afford.

you weigh up the pros and cons and you can see why im moving to oz i need to this place just cant offer me what i need. people think before you go back to england cause it could become a big mistake
Sounds rather like here really. Please don't come here thinking the economy is fantastic and everything is cheap, because it isn't.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice

oh no i understand what im coming to and fully understand the aussie way of life having lived in perth and sydney before so im aware of what its like.

i need a better lifestyle if you understand what im saying england doesnt have things that you have in australia where i live we have nothing to do what so ever let alone money to spend.

im a rugby player and cricket player all i want is to be able to watch and play my sport be next to the beach earn a fair income and live a good life. i have some friend in perth and a house lined up in shenton park or wembley and a job to go to as well.

here so far i have nothing but working for the weekends and then being broke again by monday and that isnt the life that i want to be in.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:07 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, everything you have said is the same here in Australia, I kid you not. Why is it that people back home have these superb visions of Oz???? It has to be the pathetic programmes that certain channels are putting out, it just has to be. There is no utopia and we in Australia are going through the same old crap you are. High interest rates, houses not selling, prices coming down, land not selling, extortionate food prices, increases in petrol costs, loaf of bread $4, pint of beer $7-9etc.etc.etc. Don't come here thinking it will be any different because it certainly will not.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You have just described Australia!

Mikey
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Mate

If you're coming here to escape your points 1 - 4 then it might be time for a re-think because the situation, for many, is already like that here and likely to get worse in the short term

We've not reached your point 6 yet, but I fear it won't be long before we're there.

I'd imagine that sunshine, blue skies and beaches are not much consolation when you're having to work your t1ts off just to stay 'on track'

Most people who think differently either 1/ came here more than 2 years ago, 2/ bought and sold their house at the right time in the UK, 3/ have their own successful business...IN MY OPINION
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

If anyone thinks they are going to move over here without ever missing anything or anyone at some point then dont come. I agree with lots of posters it gets boring listening to cynics who always worry about what they left behind etc.....life can be exciting and different or it can be safe and routine....
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

PS:

You say you have lived in Sydney and Perth before, but how long ago? I lived in both, and both have changed completely in such little time. Before now, I lived in Sydney for a few years up until 2006 – it was perfect, I came back in October (only 18 months later) and it is completely different, rent shot right up (my rent for a 2 bed penthouse, pool etc etc near CBD was $350 a week in 2006, now i’m renting a studio in the CBD and it’s $450 a week), wages still the same but cost of living shot up. It’s a very different place. 5 years ago my parents got a house and land package in Perth for 80K, you’ll be lucky to get land for that – houses over 400k over there now.

Not trying to put you off as Sydney is a great city, but it’s changed so much in less than 2 years.

Mikey
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Hey Mikey,

Prices have shot up worldwide mate so its the same sh*t everywhere.

They will come down a bit soon everywhere.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Economy of Australia isn't all that shit hot, either. Wages here are not as high as they may have been in the past.
No one can afford to buy or build in Perth, either. An average 4x2 on a decent block in a decent suburb is going to set you back well over $400k. Interest rates are now are edging close to 10%. (We've just applied for a building loan and our interest rate is over 9%)
Interest rates here have even stopped people having extensions and alterations done on their houses.
Loaf of whole wheat bread from Coles - $3.59. From bakery across from Coles $5. Pint of beer at the local pub $6. Converted that's 3GBP for a pint and 1.75GBP for a loaf of bread. I don't see the difference.5. the big one the weather we have had 4 good days in what is called the english rivera not really happening to be fair where is the attraction in that.
We had the coldest, wettest winter on record here in WA. It's too wet and cold to go outside during the day and it's dark by 6 o'clock, so not much going on in the evening, either. Summer it's 40 in the shade with UV index in the Extreme range. You can't go out between 10 and 4 because of the heat and sun. Where's the attraction in that?
Take a look at some of the brickie threads on here recently. Building boom is not what it was a year or two ago. With the cost of materials and interest rates things have slowed down.

Will look forward to reading your experiences after a year or two living here. I think you need to take a more realistic look at Australia.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
PS:

You say you have lived in Sydney and Perth before, but how long ago? I lived in both, and both have changed completely in such little time. Before now, I lived in Sydney for a few years up until 2006 – it was perfect, I came back in October (only 18 months later) and it is completely different, rent shot right up (my rent for a 2 bed penthouse, pool etc etc near CBD was $350 a week in 2006, now i’m renting a studio in the CBD and it’s $450 a week), wages still the same but cost of living shot up. It’s a very different place. 5 years ago my parents got a house and land package in Perth for 80K, you’ll be lucky to get land for that – houses over 400k over there now.

Not trying to put you off as Sydney is a great city, but it’s changed so much in less than 2 years.

Mikey
You wouldn't get land anywhere near Perth for only $80k. We're 45 km north and our block was $250k for only 608 m2.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Hey Mikey,

Prices have shot up worldwide mate so its the same sh*t everywhere.

They will come down a bit soon everywhere.
Oh I know, That’s my point. Someone who comes back here thinking it’s the same as it was last time they were here will be in for a shock. People say they are leaving the UK because prices have gone up, no one can buy a house, crime has gone up etc etc... it’s the same here!

Some people have this idea that in Australia you get great wages, everyone owns a house and pool, work half the day and spend the rest of the day at the beach

Mikey
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You wouldn't get land anywhere near Perth for only $80k. We're 45 km north and our block was $250k for only 608 m2.
haha, I know. I remember going to Yanchep as a kid (and i'm only 23) and my family looking for a plot of land and they seen one for 7k next to the beach, but thought it was too much.... last time I seen Yanchep the same bits of land where over 150k (probably gone up even more now) - They are obviously kicking themselves they didnt pic up the 7k one, lol.

Mikey
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

oh no i understand what im coming to and fully understand the aussie way of life having lived in perth and sydney before so im aware of what its like.

i need a better lifestyle if you understand what im saying england doesnt have things that you have in australia where i live we have nothing to do what so ever let alone money to spend.

im a rugby player and cricket player all i want is to be able to watch and play my sport be next to the beach earn a fair income and live a good life. i have some friend in perth and a house lined up in shenton park or wembley and a job to go to as well.

here so far i have nothing but working for the weekends and then being broke again by monday and that isnt the life that i want to be in.
Dyson, I think the WA posters are trying to tell you that Perth's a washed-up croc.

Best stop where you are.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know where you are coming from Mikey, I have settled though and loving the work and lifestyle but its not for everyone.

I just think that forget work, careers, money etc sometimes you have to give things a go and at least experience something different while you can. The title for this thread was think VERY carefully but I feel that if you thought to deeply about everything you could end up have a safe boring but dependable life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.