Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:23 am
BowlingWarnie

Mike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really niceMike 74 is just really nice
Unhappy Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Wise words! (etc etc)

Get in line...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Yawn
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:47 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yawn
Is Perth boring you?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:49 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Is Perth still open ??? i thought it was closed due to lack of interest
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:49 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Too late for me,perhaps you can still save somebody!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

i can see where you are coming from. When i met OH in UK while i was living there we decided we would make our life in Oz (where i am from). Now i spend my days wishing for the friends i left behind, the different life i had in Uk and the regular travel. These days we can hardly afford a trip down south. So now we are home (my home) and he is completely happy and i miss Uk everyday
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

I doubt very much theres many people who emigrate without thinking very carefully, especially if theres kiddys to think about.

I'm one of the I'd rather regret what i did do than regret what i didn't brigade. My sunnies are definitely not rose tinted, I hope we all love Oz but if not then hey ho at least we've tried it.

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree but I'd also add that I can't believe anyone would not think long and hard about such a life changing move, especially when they have children. Also I would assume that no one would totally accept another persons personal views on something as gospel. No one learns from other people's mistakes - some rarely learn from their own

There is also no way you can know how you (general) feel about what you've left until you've left it so if you don't leave you are likely to take everything around you for granted and always wonder if you should be somewhere else.

No easy answer. You have to suck it and see.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'd agree but I'd also add that I can't believe anyone would not think long and hard about such a life changing move, especially when they have children. Also I would assume that no one would totally accept another persons personal views on something as gospel. No one learns from other people's mistakes - some rarely learn from their own

There is also no way you can know how you (general) feel about what you've left until you've left it so if you don't leave you are likely to take everything around you for granted and always wonder if you should be somewhere else.

No easy answer. You have to suck it and see.
completely agree, you are so much more articulate than me!

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:12 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why she gets to be a mod,pretty articulate that lot,until they've a few too many wines,then its just the same bullshit as us mortals
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Thats why she gets to be a mod,pretty articulate that lot,until they've a few too many wines,then its just the same bullshit as us mortals
Oh bum, I've not got no hope then, I talk sh** with or without the wine!

Lindsay x

Last edited by desperatehousewife; Aug 10th 2008 at 3:22 am. Reason: I've had too many wines myself!!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:26 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
Oh bum, I've not got no hope then, I talk sh** with or without the wine!

Lindsay x
Oh i think you might well qualify for CHIEF MOD
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:32 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds wise to me - we arrived in Australia last May and I am missing everyone - however, I have to say that I get on much better with my family and inlaws when we are a few odd thousand miles away! hehe!

Close friends etc.. now.. I do miss them a lot, but i suppose (for me) the need to travel and be in a warmer and more spacious climate was a bigger pull than having them around the corner... eek.. does that sound callous and cold? probably - mind you.. I am an excellent correspondent if I don't mind saying myself, and I do text and pop things in the post (postcards and the stuff from the souvenir shops for about $2) very often! In fact, I find that I am in touch with people more so and speak to them a lot more BECAUSE I am away (does that make sense?)

Anyway, enough rambling!

Em x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Oh i think you might well qualify for CHIEF MOD

Cool, I'm looking for a hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsay x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.