Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Ha ha you have obviously never been to baggers,they dont know what car insurance is,and who is going to enforce it.
Really? Never? Wow!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:36 am
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Oh for heavens sake...

I didn't get that at all from the OP.

You were very lucky to have got that experience. So, have you made a decision then?
We will be validating the visas early next year. Would like to have a look at some smaller towns as we dont want to live in a big city, really. It all depends on work though! I am quite lucky in where we live now (York) as I work in Leeds which is only a 30 min drive.
Any suggestions would be much apreciated!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:49 am
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
The problem I have is with the negativity that some posters bring to the migration experience. Fact is, you've chosen to go and live in another country - that is a fantastic opportunity for people, and yes, it's great for kids to have the chance to live in, meet & go to school with people from other cultures. It has the potential to be such a positive thing - but you have people who's every post has to be from the 'gone to the dogs', 'sh!thole', 'get me out of here', 'I get stabbed every time I leave the house' school of thought. Why make it all about the negatives? I think a lot of these people will just find new things to moan about when they get here.

I may point out that in a lot of ways Aus is no different from the UK, I don't think that's patronising....and maybe it doesn't go along with the massive list of grumbles some people cite as their reason for leaving, but I still live here regardless of that.
Very difficult to escape from 'negativity'. Read a paper, put on the news, talk to the bloke in the pub and, unfortunately, you are fed from a constant stream of 'negativity'. Very difficult, sometimes, to take a step back and count our blessings, which, in our Western society, are many.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:54 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Really? Never? Wow!
Your weird
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:02 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Your weird
The point I was making (in my 'weird' way) is that I was aware of the fact you stated about Baghdad. My Brother in law has served in both Gulf Wars, Kosovo, Bosnia, took part on the Sierra Leone rescue mission etc etc and has told me plenty about the places that he has visited with the British Army.

That's all.

Have a nice day.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:13 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

The point I was making (in my 'weird' way) is that I was aware of the fact you stated about Baghdad. My Brother in law has served in both Gulf Wars, Kosovo, Bosnia, took part on the Sierra Leone rescue mission etc etc and has told me plenty about the places that he has visited with the British Army.

That's all.

Have a nice day.
Yeah that may well be so dear boy,but YOU havent been there,anyway i would take what the british army have to say about their ops with a pinch of salt,now you have a nice day
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!
Mike,

Sorry to hear that things haven't worked out for you

Moving your whole life to any country is difficult and sometimes even moving somewhere different inside the same country is just as bad.

It takes time to make networks of friends and I know that I have sometimes longed to have someone to pop to for a coffee and a chat after a particularly bad day...

Despite that I actually like living here and can see lots more opportunity for my family here - we have been very lucky to find good jobs, friends etc and I am grateful!

When I moved I made a promise to a friend that I would leave enough money aside in a bank account to be able to easily return if I needed - the money is still there and I think that is excellent advice.

It is not for everyone

Regards,

Lau
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Yeah that may well be so dear boy,but YOU havent been there,anyway i would take what the british army have to say about their ops with a pinch of salt,now you have a nice day
I haven't been to New Zealand either but I know they've got a f**k load of sheep.

I don't want this to descend into some sort of pointless volley of retorts but my Brother in Law generally tells it like it is (and given you don't know him how can you assume he is talking crap?). He has specially and uniquely commissioned paintings on his wall from the special ops that he has been on (mostly supporting the SAS) so unless he found the paintings in a car-boot sale, I don't really have any reason to disbelieve him.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:24 am
FREE TIBET

I haven't been to New Zealand either but I know they've got a f**k load of sheep.

I don't want this to descend into some sort of pointless volley of retorts but my Brother in Law generally tells it like it is (and given you don't know him how can you assume he is talking crap?). He has specially and uniquely commissioned paintings on his wall from the special ops that he has been on (mostly supporting the SAS) so unless he found the paintings in a car-boot sale, I don't really have any reason to disbelieve him.
I didnt say your BIL was talking crap,anyway i have a lovely COMMISSIONED painting of the summit of everest,and i've never been there.Oh and your right there are a shitload of sheep in NZ
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:29 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

I didnt say your BIL was talking crap,anyway i have a lovely COMMISSIONED painting of the summit of everest,and i've never been there.Oh and your right there are a shitload of sheep in NZ
You're the verbal equivalent of a dripping tap!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:34 am
FREE TIBET

You're the verbal equivalent of a dripping tap!
Relax will ya
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!
Very wise ... lots of people go to the UAE, get into debt to pay 12 months rent up front, and end up stuck there!

Also, i have lived in Aus my whole life I think the isolation issue is a big one, both in travel time and now also travel cost with oil prices.

Housing affordability is the biggest issue by far, so big in fact that even after having owned 2 houses in sydneys north and having and saved every penny it makes me want to leave a place I love in just about every other way :curse:
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:41 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, and men have the nerve to say women are argumentative!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:43 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Are you looking to start an argument?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:44 am
FREE TIBET

The lads a mite uptight and needs to chill out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.