Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Is Perth still open ??? i thought it was closed due to lack of interest
No, all the tickets sold out.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Originally Posted by mindblower
Better than yob culture, knife wielding, binge drinking britain i would have thought ?
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:26 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Originally Posted by mindblower
Better than yob culture, knife wielding, binge drinking britain i would have thought ?
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Oh Britain! I though he said Essendon
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:31 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Oh Britain! I though he said Essendon
Bloody bayside snob
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:44 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody bayside snob
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:14 pm

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Ummm, my OH is over 40 and me vast approaching. I think emmigrating when 30 and emmigrating when 40 is very very different!

For us, I thought ok, I'll miss my mates big time but I'll make new ones and my little ones are too young for an impact to be seen.
Reality check:
Making friends is not neccesarily as easy as it was when you had your kids as people have their lives established. Me & my UK mates were strongley bonded within months, have only felt that sort of connection with one person here, who has a very busty life and its difficult to sort out schedules. yes I get out and about.
3 year old is vissibly lonely. As you have older kids they will probally be ok but with little ones they rely on you.

I think when you hit 40 you are fairly established in life and having to start again and sometimes settle for less in whatever area is a big shock to the system (I've done all this before).

Not meant to deter you just to give you some first hand feelings.

ooo er sounds fascinating. What does this involve????
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
I doubt very much theres many people who emigrate without thinking very carefully, especially if theres kiddys to think about.

I'm one of the I'd rather regret what i did do than regret what i didn't brigade. My sunnies are definitely not rose tinted, I hope we all love Oz but if not then hey ho at least we've tried it.

Lindsay x
Im in that brigade too, you never know unless you try....No use wondering "what if" for the rest of our lives!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:13 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody bayside snob
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!
WOW! First post in years.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
WOW! First post in years.

Well spotted Ozzidoc!

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
Well spotted Ozzidoc!

Lindsay x
Which makes me think that the OP must be quite concerned if he/she is actually posting. ie...they are serious and not just flaming...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:35 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
hush heathen
My names Bernie actually.and i thought you mods were articulate
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Which makes me think that the OP must be quite concerned if he/she is actually posting. ie...they are serious and not just flaming...
Completely agree It's just I feel that people who make the move and don't like it can assume everyone else only views the move with rose tinted sunnies ( to repeat a cliche!) which I think is very unlikely especially if you have litlteys.

Better to regret what you've done as they say.......................................

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

I think this is a wise post, the OP is not trying to put a downer on peoples dreams, he's just wants to express his feeling on his experience.

I sure some people want it so much they come into denial that things can go bad, best to listen to both good and bad threads.

I went over, and i never worked for me, nothing to do with family (but it was hard to be away from close ones) but work. I do plan to give it a try again but i'll make sure i have a job secure before leaving and i won't transfer all my assets straight away!

Chris.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris96
I think this is a wise post, the OP is not trying to put a downer on peoples dreams, he's just wants to express his feeling on his experience.

I sure some people want it so much they come into denial that things can go bad, best to listen to both good and bad threads.

I went over, and i never worked for me, nothing to do with family (but it was hard to be away from close ones) but work. I do plan to give it a try again but i'll make sure i have a job secure before leaving and i won't transfer all my assets straight away!

Chris.
completely accept what your saying and all advice is gratefully received, it's just sometimes I find that folks can be a touch patronizing and assume you've not considered the cons as well as the pros

Lindsay x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.