Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Originally Posted by northernbird
I couldn't afford it at 17 and not many people I knew could. We were working class Lancashire folk. Holidays abroad were for the rich people when I was 17. My parents had no money and I was slaving for 28 quid a week on a YTS scheme. The furthest we got was a week camping in Great Yarmouth!

The YTS - a blast from the past! My old man remembers NVQs- called them 'Not Very Quick'.

As for the same old, same old, look there will always be the usual glum people looking for an easy escape. Good luck to them. I think many people will struggle now - but for others, it will be the best thing they ever did...some people would rather press on in the sun than back in Blighty given a level playing field.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
As for the same old, same old, look there will always be the usual glum people looking for an easy escape.
Staying here and just “putting up” actually sounds more like the “easy escape” – Don’t aim or fight for what you really want, just “put up”, yea that’s definitely the way to go in life

Some people love it, some people don't. That's life!

Mikey
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:19 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Pro's and Con's to it all really.

Personaly i wouldnt move to iraq or afghanistan - why? Because i have made an informed decision through research and listening to others experiences!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Staying here and just “putting up” actually sounds more like the “easy escape” – Don’t aim or fight for what you really want, just “put up”, yea that’s definitely the way to go in life

Some people love it, some people don't. That's life!

Mikey
Disagree - staying in Australia does not have to be an exercise in putting up.
Agree - some people love it some people don't.

I was actually referring more to the people, as migrants, who want to come to Australia for sun sea and surf and er that will do (and it is crap in the UK). And nothing will go wrong. These people will cop it from all quarters...

Come for the pull not the push etc etc.

But as I've said before, I tend to be tolerant with these people because often they can't be sure until they get here, and some do OK. Conversely, people who are here can be more realistic having seen both sides.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 15th 2008 at 1:29 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:13 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
At some point you just have to take a chance 'cos the only certainty in life is death!
And taxes
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Townley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant future

All,

Thought I would give you my take on this topic for many reasons...
1) My parents emmigrated to Australia with me and my 3 other siblings when we were all under 6 years old.
2) We came back to the UK when I was 11
3) I am now going back with my (Australian) OH

I agree that emmigrating is a big step for anyone - especially when there are children involved. For all those parents wondering whether they are doing the right thing my answer to you is YES! My reasons are as follows

1) The lifestyle for children in Australia is way ahead of the UK. I spent my childhood OUTSIDE whether on the beach, at the local national parks, having bbqs with other families and at school (yes u spend a lot of time learning outside of the classroom). When I came back to the UK I felt extremely sad when the sun went down at 3pm... non of my friends wanted to 'play' or were not allowed because it is dark/not safe... but it was ok to go over and watch TV or play computer games. Sports at school consisted of 1 hr a week and an annual sports day... i was doing some kind of sports every day in Oz.
2) The opportunity for your children to experience a different culture, different people and have to adjust to a new school and make new friends may seem daunting a first... but it gives children priceless skills of adaptability, tolerance, acceptance and confidence. These are extremely difficult things to learn in your 'comfort zone'. In addition it allows childrens minds to be opened up to other ways of life... I find the UK almost suffocating in respect to how narrow-minded people can be. When I went to Australia as a child i was welcomed and made friends so easily but when i returned to the UK i was ostracised because of my accent (australian by this point)... i remember thinking how sad it was that that little girl would never have many friends because there were so many people that did not speak like her.
3) You can come back! You are not signing away your rights to live in the UK.

I have become more and more sadenned by the way this country is going over the past 10 years. I have always promised myself that I will give my children the experiences i had as a child. I am not saying it is always easy - my parents found it tough at times, and a few years ago i thought that I resented them for not giving me a 'normal' upbringing in the UK. But I would bet my life savings on the fact that had they not doen wat they did I would not be where I am today.

I have not said as much as i would have liked - but i have just looked at the clock and i need to make a move... feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Take Care & Goodluck

TP xxx
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Townley
When I came back to the UK I felt extremely sad when the sun went down at 3pm...
so whereabouts in the Shetland Isles did you live?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your experiences Townley - it's very interesting to get a different perspective. The few friends that we do have over in Oz have sadly said recently that things theyarea changing over there and the easygoing attitude and lifestyle is not what it was even from 3 years ago. Just wondering if others have found the same thing? I'm still optimistic that the Aussies will stay optimistic though
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:23 pm
jonah

Its their experiences - not yours!

How many times have you been mugged in uk?
How many muggings have you witnessed in uk?
How many times have you been assaulted in uk?
How many assaults have you witnessed in uk?

How much crime do we actually witness ourselves anywhere?
Not very much!

We read about it, we see it on the TV - but for most we are not actually a victim!

The list of 'what has happened to you' with 'zero' as the answer is infinite.

Unfortunately as we humans get older we tend to dwell on issues that didnt bother us in our teens and 20's. The problems where still there, they just didnt ring a bell!

Pro's and Con's - thats life
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:21 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonah38
How many times have you been mugged in uk?
How many muggings have you witnessed in uk?
How many times have you been assaulted in uk?
How many assaults have you witnessed in uk?
Several 6 +
[/QUOTE]

However isnt it good to know that as we UK residents are going to Oz in record numbers we can all be louts over there to.

I have been assaulted in Sydney as well, by an engilsh back packer.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I find the UK almost suffocating in respect to how narrow-minded people can be

Oh come on,now .. compared to the mentality of "best country in the world because i said so even though my holidays have been spent camping on stradbroke island cos i can't afford to do anything else but why would you want to live anywhere else"

Last edited by rabsody; Aug 15th 2008 at 4:30 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia

I have been assaulted in Sydney as well, by an engilsh back packer.
Yeah, thank god the aussies don't do crime. I thank my lucky stars every day that i live in utopia!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:37 pm
jonah

Originally Posted by Zambia

Several 6 +
However isnt it good to know that as we UK residents are going to Oz in record numbers we can all be louts over there to.

I have been assaulted in Sydney as well, by an engilsh back packer.[/QUOTE]

Not bad statistics for someone from Belfast, which by my understanding was the most violent place on the planet some years ago.

The point i was making earlier was that if we all followed the herd and ran our lives the way others see the world then we would all live in fortresses with our heads up our arses.

Cpt Cook, Darwin and Christopher Columbus must of been deaf then
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:39 pm
jonah

Originally Posted by rabsody
I find the UK almost suffocating in respect to how narrow-minded people can be

Oh come on,now .. compared to the mentality of "best country in the world because i said so even though my holidays have been spent camping on stradbroke island cos i can't afford to do anything else but why would you want to live anywhere else"
Not sure which side of the fence you sit rapsody
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

The point i was making earlier was that if we all followed the herd and ran our lives the way others see the world then we would all live in fortresses with our heads up our arses.
Tell that to the editor of the Daily Mail!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.