Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz and then family coming over later...any advice or tips pls?

Moving to Oz and then family coming over later...any advice or tips pls?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough
Default Moving to Oz and then family coming over later...any advice or tips pls?

There's a good possibility I'm going to be moving to Australia in the next few weeks and my family will follow a few months later. Has anyone else had experience of this and what should I be considering?
For example:
- Do I need to give my wife power of attorney?
- Should I make our joint bank account a single account in her name?
- Should I remove myself from the mortgage details?
- And anything else I've not mentioned here.....!

Many thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:15 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz and then family coming over later...any advice or tips pls?

Originally Posted by chasmw
There's a good possibility I'm going to be moving to Australia in the next few weeks and my family will follow a few months later. Has anyone else had experience of this and what should I be considering?
For example:

Many thanks!
Have you already done a validation trip with your family? The reason I ask is because (if I'm not mistaken) you have to all make the intial entry together.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz and then family coming over later...any advice or tips pls?

For example:

Many thanks!
Why would you need to change the bank account etc?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
(if I'm not mistaken) you have to all make the intial entry together.
You are mistaken!! Usually the main applicant has to go first or with his/her family, although anecdotally that condition is not being imposed as often as it used to be. The rest of the family can either accompany the main applicant or follow at any time before the validation expiry date.

To the OP - I can't see any reason to change the bank or mortgage accounts, but a power of attorney might be useful if you are, for example, in the middle of selling your house.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by louie
You are mistaken!! Usually the main applicant has to go first or with his/her family, although anecdotally that condition is not being imposed as often as it used to be. The rest of the family can either accompany the main applicant or follow at any time before the validation expiry date.
I hope you're right - was having a bit of a minor panic there! Perhaps somebody else could confirm if this is the case?
Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you're right - was having a bit of a minor panic there! Perhaps somebody else could confirm if this is the case?
Thanks.
My understanding is also that main applicant must enter first but rest can come later as long as it is before latest validation date.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Sorry
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Definitely don't all have to arrive together. Just as long as the main applicant comes through first.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Why would you need to change the bank account etc?
I wondered if there were any tax implications, due to the fact that I'd be earning an interest on the money (albeit a pittance!).
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

We are doing the same, in fact, my OH is in the air en route as I type. Now that I've stopped crying the only thing we had thought of was to obtain POA for selling the house. We haven't changed bank accounts/mortgage (could you even change your mortgage, I doubt it if your income was used to obtain it?) I'm not even going to claim the single person discount for council tax

Hadn't thought about any tax issues tbh?