Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from NZ to OZ

Moving from NZ to OZ

Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Default Moving from NZ to OZ

Hi all, this is just a shot in the dark but could somebody tell me how easy (or difficult) it is to move from NZ to OZ, we've been in NZ from the UK for 2 years and the OH is an Electrician (NZ registered).
Whats the work situation? What are the best areas for us to be looking at (me, hubby and 2 kids aged 7 and 10)......
Please help??????
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving from NZ to OZ

Originally Posted by aalls73 View Post
Hi all, this is just a shot in the dark but could somebody tell me how easy (or difficult) it is to move from NZ to OZ, we've been in NZ from the UK for 2 years and the OH is an Electrician (NZ registered).
Whats the work situation? What are the best areas for us to be looking at (me, hubby and 2 kids aged 7 and 10)......
Please help??????
Are you NZ citizens? If so, hop on a plane as you get a TR444 visa on arrival. If you are NZ PR or TR then you have no visa rights in Oz and have to apply as if you had never lived in NZ.

I do not know whether NZ electrician registrations can be ported to Oz, this may vary from state to state.

A fully qualified electrician in Melbourne should earn around AU$70 per hour. Not sure elsewhere.

Work is far more plentiful here than NZ in general, the wages are higher and the cost of living lower.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving from NZ to OZ

Hi we are resident here in Nz but not citizens so how does that work???? and melbourne is the area we have been looking at

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
Are you NZ citizens? If so, hop on a plane as you get a TR444 visa on arrival. If you are NZ PR or TR then you have no visa rights in Oz and have to apply as if you had never lived in NZ.

I do not know whether NZ electrician registrations can be ported to Oz, this may vary from state to state.

A fully qualified electrician in Melbourne should earn around AU$70 per hour. Not sure elsewhere.

Work is far more plentiful here than NZ in general, the wages are higher and the cost of living lower.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we are resident here in Nz but not citizens so how does that work???? and melbourne is the area we have been looking at
I'm afraid your NZ residency gives you no advantage in Australia over anyone else from any other country. For immigration purposes, it counts for nothing in Australia.

Maybe start by having a look at http://www.immi.gov.au for tips on applying to emigrate to Australia. Electrician is on the skilled occupations list so you have a good chance of success.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Please help??????
Your situation will be different if you become NZ citizens (as buzzy was impyling).

Have you looked into that?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianandhelena View Post
Your situation will be different if you become NZ citizens (as buzzy was impyling).

Have you looked into that?
If they have only been in NZ 2 years then they will have another 3 years to wait before they can apply under normal circumstances.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

yeah unfortunately that is correct, but hey!!! life brought us here to NZ who's knows where it will take us next

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
If they have only been in NZ 2 years then they will have another 3 years to wait before they can apply under normal circumstances.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:19 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

yeah unfortunately that is correct, but hey!!! life brought us here to NZ who's knows where it will take us next
why did you move to NZ and not OZ in the first place?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

the lack of creepy crawlies haha

Originally Posted by mohogony View Post
why did you move to NZ and not OZ in the first place?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

gunn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the move from Wellington to Brisbane just over 2 years ago, for my partner's work. It might sound really obvious, but it blindsided me a bit - they are completely different places, with quite different attitudes and ways of life. That might work for you or against you, but just don't expect to come to a hotter, sunnier NZ!! (I think I did... )
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you want difference you have to move to Sydney or Melbourne, we left NZ and I moved to Sydney and then on to Melbourne after a couple of years and we would not leave now.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:53 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

the lack of creepy crawlies haha
Theres still creepy crawlies in OZ they havent suddenly all disappeared in the past 2 years, so are you no longer affraid of them?. l've never had any problem with them apart from the flies which can be annoying in summer.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 14th 2010 at 10:00 am.