moving to nz

Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:30 am
Just Joined

hattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink moving to nz

hi everyone. just joined so guess i'm a toddler member now. would like to hear about people's experiences of emigrating to NZ. we're coming out in dec. for a look around. there'll be four of us- hubby is a a fireman (firefighter if you're politically correct) and i'm a mental health nurse and we have 2 kids. if there's anyone out there with similar backgrounds too it would be really good to hear from you. i'm not sure i'm ready for pb et al's kind of emails so go easy guys.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

alilandeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to nz

[Hi Hattie

Welcome. we are moving to NZ also and going on a fact finding trip August. We have been several times before and we love it over there.

How are you applying to get in, under what catogory? Do you have family over there. Also what part are you heading to. Sorry for all the questions it not that often we get my NZ soon to be ex-pats on here, most people seem to be going to oz.

Allison
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:01 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hattie
hi everyone. just joined so guess i'm a toddler member now. would like to hear about people's experiences of emigrating to NZ. we're coming out in dec. for a look around. there'll be four of us- hubby is a a fireman (firefighter if you're politically correct) and i'm a mental health nurse and we have 2 kids. if there's anyone out there with similar backgrounds too it would be really good to hear from you. i'm not sure i'm ready for pb et al's kind of emails so go easy guys.
having been in mental health ,you should have no worries with P.B............................ mm
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Hattie

We are also lloking at moving to NZ soon. We are a family of 4, we have two kids aged 5 and 1.
We are hoping to move out on the general skills category using my wifes quals as Nuersery Nurse.

Our first step is to get assessed by a consultant and we are using the Emmigration Group. We hope to know more by Monday next week.
Passports are now upto date with the full ten year.
Police Checks requested
Will wait on the medicals for a while.

Things are slightly different for us, compared to others as I am being made redunent at the end of July and we are already trying to sell the house. So it will all be about timing, as with everything.

If you need any help, do let me know.

PF
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Alun is an unknown quantity at this point

HI ALL,
WE'RE LOOKING AT GOING OUT TO NZ IN NOVEMBER.
WE HAVE THREE CHILDREN WITH THE YOUNGEST TURNING 1 LAST WEEK.
WE'VE GOT OUR MEDICALS NEXT WEEK AND HOPE TO GET OUR POLICE CHECKS THEN TO.
WE'RE DOING IT ALL OURSELVES (WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS ON EXPATS) IT'S HARD SLOG BUT WE WANT TO PUT OUR PR IN NZ HOUSE BY THE END OF THE MONTH.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL GOING THROUGH THE REAMS OF PAPER WORK

JUDY & ALUN
Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Under what category are you applying?
What do you do for a living?
Where are you lloking at living?

PF
Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:27 pm
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hattie

Im a nurse to ,you shouldnt need to use a consulant the paper works quite straight forward the hard bit it getting your qualification registered as it seems to take forever and you cant proceed with anything else until you have that. There are quite a few nurses on here going to nz so just shout if you need help.
Good luck,
Claire
Old Jun 11th 2003, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hattie
Hi, welcome, there more than you realise going to NZ.

Are you going to visit North & South Islands or do you have a particular place in mind?

Use the Search Tab above, and look at loads of posts to help you on the way. Plenty of great advice available from people emigrating and some already living the dream
Old Jun 11th 2003, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

hattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by alilandeg
[Hi Hattie

Welcome. we are moving to NZ also and going on a fact finding trip August. We have been several times before and we love it over there.

How are you applying to get in, under what catogory? Do you have family over there. Also what part are you heading to. Sorry for all the questions it not that often we get my NZ soon to be ex-pats on here, most people seem to be going to oz.

Allison
Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hattie, welcome to the forum!!

I am also a nurse both general and mental, and have got a job already in Christchurch Hosp. We have applied for PR and as Claire has already said no need for an agent, just waiting now for the visa and the house to sell!!

Any ideas yet where you fancy to settle? Are you visiting both islands in December? If i can help in any way, just ask?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

deddog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
Hi Hattie, welcome to the forum!!

I am also a nurse both general and mental, and have got a job already in Christchurch Hosp. We have applied for PR and as Claire has already said no need for an agent, just waiting now for the visa and the house to sell!!

Any ideas yet where you fancy to settle? Are you visiting both islands in December? If i can help in any way, just ask?
We have just started on the road to NZ we are hoping for PR as my wife Deborah is nurse and a midwife.
We need to locate in the best area for our kids (16 & 15), although Deb likes the look of the Bay of Plenty area we have not ruled out anywhere.
A couple of things you may be able to help us with are:
Did you get your job through an agency?
How long will the job offer be held open?
Deborah has two Bsc hons degrees in midwifery and in health visiting. Will she be able to claim additional points for qualifications(I believe that either qualification is worth 10 points in the general skills category)?
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Afraid you will only get 10 points for your qualifications.

It took me four months to get NZ RN qualified - a very incompetent organisation so keep on their backs.

I managed to get a job by cold calling. Agencies are always faxing cvs to nurse managers and the bin is by their desks. Many hospitals probably don't deal with them. I found that the personal touch worked.

No need to use an agency. As long as you're a registerable nurse with several years experience a visa will be a cinch.

Good luck.

Roger
Old Jun 12th 2003, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

tezzabart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Roger
Afraid you will only get 10 points for your qualifications.

It took me four months to get NZ RN qualified - a very incompetent organisation so keep on their backs.

I managed to get a job by cold calling. Agencies are always faxing cvs to nurse managers and the bin is by their desks. Many hospitals probably don't deal with them. I found that the personal touch worked.

No need to use an agency. As long as you're a registerable nurse with several years experience a visa will be a cinch.

Good luck.

Roger
Hi Roger
About this NZQ thang,i needed to get my quals looked at for bricklaying,after i had argued with my agent that they were ok and contacted city &guilds and got conformation(had to pay 30quid)that they were ok,my agent still did'nt want to risk it.
So we sent them off to NZQA,but you can fast track it, and we had it back in 4 weeks(paid $600.oo)
I guess you're situation may have been diferent,but if any one needs it done quickly,it's an option
regards Tezza
Old Jun 12th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Deddog!!

As Roger has already said no need for an agency - i made initial contact with an email in response to an internet advertised job and got a very enthusiastic response. we were going over on a holiday anyway and managed to arrange an interview while we were there (although most hospitals will also employ you on the strength of a telephone interview). Our choice is Christchuch but if you do a search for any of the health boards most seem to advertise nursing posts regularly. Choose the one you want most and go for that in the area you like best as they really are quite short and your chances are high.

The other thing is, my job offer simply has written on it "commencement date to be confirmed" and i know of one or two others who have got offers like this. I have also promised to keep in touch with the ward sister to let her know how the process of visa and house selling are going but the main thing is be honest from the start and let them know that you need a written job offer in order to apply to immigration and that you will do your best to make everything else happen as quickly as possible!

The Tauranga area sounds nice although I'm afraid we didn't make it there while we were on holiday. nice to have you on board - please keep in touch!
Old Jun 12th 2003, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

deddog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Roger and jajpe, very useful.
We were considering a two week trip in August to check out a few places but to my surprise we've decided to save the cash for a few beers when we get there.
Deb has got the form from the NMC to apply for registration and we will start looking for jobs when she is registered.
My eldest daughter likes the look of Christchurch (she claims she doesn't want to go but knows more about NZ than me already) but is concerned about the flipping tourists! (" I mean who wants to live in a town full of tourists." she moans)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.