Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne from London... some questions...

Moving to Melbourne from London... some questions...

Old Oct 7th 2015, 4:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne from London... some questions...

Originally Posted by bcworld
There are definitely plenty of venomous snakes in some of the bushier areas of the suburbs, I think particularly in the north, like in Eltham where my OH's parents live...they've had the snake catcher out a couple of times at least for the nastier ones. However you never hear about anyone dying from snake bites...their pets might be another story!

What's more of a concern is the harmless critters, namely the huntsman spider...non venomous but could probably cause you to crash the car! Very funny incident this morning. I was waiting in a queue of traffic to turn left onto a major road...any the only time you can pull out is when a pedestrian has triggered the crossing to get to the tram stop in the middle of the road. We waited, and waited, and waited, and waited and finally...someone pressed the button. Then we waited ages for the traffic lights to change. Just as our queue of traffic started moving the old man driving the car in front opened the door and got out...well I was annoyed! Then I saw he was trying to flick a giant huntsman off his car! First it ran over the windscreen, he was trying to flick it off but couldn't keep up...then it ran across the roof...but the poor guy, he'd left his door open...so it ran straight back inside the car!

I could tell he was freaking out but his only choice was abandon the car or get back in and drive off, which fortunately he did. Poor guy!
And that story right there...is why I completely refused to move to Australia. I would never have got back in the car.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

lorraine.81 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for so many replies - been a bit busy havent had time to reply to everyone, lots of great info here!
Old Oct 13th 2015, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote property under 1klm to the city. That should have read 10klm to the city. Apologies.

Auction of demolish job in yarraville on saturday, guide price 650 went for 889. Its getting worse.

12 bidders at least.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 3:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne from London... some questions...

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I wrote property under 1klm to the city. That should have read 10klm to the city. Apologies.

Auction of demolish job in yarraville on saturday, guide price 650 went for 889. Its getting worse.

12 bidders at least.
Such is the result of the popularity of Melbourne as a place to live.

It's the same where we are and we are 25ks out.

BB
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow moving from London, for less money in a more expensive, dumpy city. Lol definition of insanity right there.

Buy hey at least the coffees good LOLZ
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Such is the result of the popularity of Melbourne as a place to live.

It's the same where we are and we are 25ks out.

BB

Luckily we bought land 2 years ago, but no time to build.

Sydney and Melbourne are too overcrowded, far too high a ratio of buyers for each house, and public transport. People really need to consider further afield if climate and work factors align.

Brisbane still at 2008 prices looks good, financial times thinks so too. But it is subtropical.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geezer123
Wow moving from London, for less money in a more expensive, dumpy city. Lol definition of insanity right there.

Think the unit market is a lot better than housing,less competitive. But it does depend on area.

One of the sons is renting in near St kilda, shoe box sized 2 beds opposite a beautiful cemetery, street reminds me of parts of London. Its real old, even has the old boiler unit for hot water in the kitchen. Sold for mid 400's. So maybe not all units but there are cheapies too.

As for coffee, all vietnamese or greek coffee near our rental, well worth trying.

Eating in the food court at the weekend in the QV centre. Guy walks up to woman sitting in front of us, on mobile of course...... puts hand in bag has wallet in split second, until I yelled out, but they do it right near the stairs, out the centre, straight out into the crowds.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

well that is a bit odd, we were looking at flats and were thinking to get something that is at 400pw + bills when in London at the moment we have a flat at 350pw + bills with the difference that my husband's salary will be actually 2x in Australia IF he takes this job, so i dont think it's a bad move...

is 400pw + bills not real for Melbourne city centre these days?

thanks
Old Oct 13th 2015, 8:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne from London... some questions...

Originally Posted by lorraine.81
well that is a bit odd, we were looking at flats and were thinking to get something that is at 400pw + bills when in London at the moment we have a flat at 350pw + bills with the difference that my husband's salary will be actually 2x in Australia IF he takes this job, so i dont think it's a bad move...

thanks
Yes plenty of apartments can be had for that. Apartments & Units For Rent between $0 and $400 in Melbourne, VIC 3000 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au

Melbourne city is lovely - European pavement cafe type feel, with wide tree-lined streets and the ever-present trams. I fell in love with it in Nov 2006 and I still love it.

BB
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
2 times in sterling? or 2 times in unit currency?

What is your husbands salary?
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Most research points to any Australian city vs London being better value for money when you put average salaries up against average living costs.

The exchange rate has little or no bearing. Its your earning v your outgoings in the cities you compare.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What size flat do you require. We went through the entire renting thing this year. You mention family? 400 a week city is a studio/one bed hotel room size. Check car park too many don't have one or. Its an extra.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 8:08 am
Just Joined

2 times in sterling? or 2 times in unit currency?

What is your husbands salary?
well probably between 110-120k
Old Oct 29th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What size flat do you require. We went through the entire renting thing this year. You mention family? 400 a week city is a studio/one bed hotel room size. Check car park too many don't have one or. Its an extra.
well we'd like a one bedroom flat, modern and high spec in the center ideally..that's what we really like...then you can always adjust of course. we dont have a car.

compared to what we're used to in London i guess that they will look really big or not? for instance i'd be happy with 60-70 square meters for a 1 bed flat.

thanks
Old Oct 30th 2015, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think it is too!

But it's not that. London + about 3 or 4 degrees according to long term stats.

Some summers experience very short spells of extreme heat, others it doesn't happen at all. I don't think I've experienced a 'non summer' in Melbourne like you might in the UK. January is the hottest month with average max a shade under 26C. I find winter a total breeze...as long as your house is properly heated and insulated which is often an issue here.
3-4 is probably a bit meagre and doesn't reflect typical temps.

Temps are often discussed :
In summer it can be close to 10 degrees with a typical summers day going from 30-35 when it's only 20-25 in the UK but I suppose the range peaks in Summer. Obviously it can also go down to teens in summer and then up to 40...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.