Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne and Job Vacancy in the beginning of 2011

Moving to Melbourne and Job Vacancy in the beginning of 2011

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne and Job Vacancy in the beginning of 2011

HI All,

I need some information about Job vacancy in Melbourne. Do you think Applying a job in Melbourne around late February or Early March 2011 is a good Idea? I mean will there be any vacancies around that time or people will be still in holiday mood.

I am a Mech. Eng technician with skills in CNC Machine tools. Just wondering which the suitable job agency should i approach off-shore so i can arrange interview as soon as i arrive in Melbourne.

As i am working as engineer/technician, i have a collection of trade tools such as grinders, clamping tools, verniers and so on. I would like to bring to Melbourne. I am just wondering if i will get charged/taXed for that tools? Or should i just bought a new one in Melbourne.

Anyone can share their experiences when arranging job interview with companies/ or agent in Mechanical Engineering field?

Thank you for sharing
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne and Job Vacancy in the beginning of 2011

Can't help with job vacancies but Mr P (a plumber) finds that tools are far more expensive in Aus and the choice is worse.

Generally if you have owned an item over 12 months, and it is your personal property (or that of your family) no tax is levied.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I doubt you'll have much success applying before you get there, as your trade isn't in high demand, so you'd be best off getting in contact with a few agencies before you leave and let them know your arrival dates, and hopefully they should be able to set up a few interviews shortly after you get there.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

LDNmassive4 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should look on Gumtree as well - always lots of jobs on there, might just find a few weeks work at a time while you're waiting for something more stable to come along. Melbourne's a great place, you'll love it there!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks for your information.

I am also aware that it will be 99% impossible to secure a job while overseas. I also do not want to accept any job offer without seeing the workshop or the hiring people. So i am just hoping i could get interview as soon as i land in Melbourne.

Thanks for suggestion for gumtree....i will be have a look. Maybe find a temp job in closely related to my skills..then hoping the suitable opening to come up.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:51 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Nah the respones are correct. People get emails every day interested in working in Australia and many aren't in the country. Don't worry about applying until you are physically on the ground in Melbourne.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:09 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

school hols are all over end of January so everything is back to normal after that. Cant help with job availability, but we often have new arrivals from all walks of life, and they all seem to find work reasonably easy. Sometimes it might not be their present trade to begin with, but it brings money in, also quite often if they have trade qualifications, they need to retake exams to have their qualifications accepted over here.

Bring your tools over, you wont have any problems. You will have to get an electrician to change all the plugs & tag them if you are planning on using them in your line of work over here.

If you are shipping them, make sure they are all cleaned well. I brough heaps of tools over but all for personal use, and didnt have any problems. I find the choice is very good here in Melbourne, but cant comment on how prices are compared to the UK, but due to the poor exchange rate I would expect UK to be cheaper. Good tools are never cheap wherever you are.