Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family tax benefits part A/B, baby bonus & rent assistance

Family tax benefits part A/B, baby bonus & rent assistance

Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future
Default Family tax benefits part A/B, baby bonus & rent assistance

I’m on 176 PR Visa, landed here last July with my wife. After sometime wife went back untilI get settled & also she was pregnant.

By the end of September I found a job & it’s going well.

Wife is expecting delivery end of March 2011.She will be back in Oz next January.

I heard news on paid parental leave scheme effective from Jan 2011 & I'm not eligible since I ve not being 10 months in my current employment.

So my query is.

1. Do I qualify for baby bonus when baby is born?
2. If I qualify will I qualify for family tax benefit part A & B, subject to income tests?
3. Further I understand that 104 weeks of waiting period for new migrants for centrelink payments. But centrelink website gives some vague details saying that if new residents have a baby they can claim rent assistance
So do I qualify for rent assistance after baby is born?

Last edited by charw; Nov 21st 2010 at 5:41 am.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Family tax benefits part A/B, baby bonus & rent assistance

Originally Posted by charw
I’m on 176 PR Visa, landed here last July with my wife. After sometime wife went back untilI get settled & also she was pregnant.

Wife is expecting delivery end of March 2011.She will be back in Oz next January.

I heard news on paid parental leave scheme effective from Jan 2011 & I'm not eligible since I ve not being 10 months in my current employment.

So my query is.

2. If I qualify will I qualify for family tax benefit part A & B, subject to income tests?
3. Further I understand that 104 weeks of waiting period for new migrants for centrelink payments. But centrelink website gives some vague details saying that if new residents have a baby they can claim rent assistance
Hello

I am here on a 309 PR visa and my Aussie Mrs has just had our baby.

I cannot be sure on the facts but I can offer at least some knowledge.

Centrelink asked for my tax file number which of course I did not have at the time so as they couldnt be arsed with the problems that this presented, they put her down as a single mum, until I get my tax file number ( which i now have ) But as I am unemployed they still persist that she should remain on the system as a single mum. So if wifey is Aussie citizen then she is entitled to baby bonus, and rental assistance, you just have to be a bit clever about it. I am not suggesting you cheat the system but merely lean on the circumstances. We were honest about our situation and it swung in our favour, but the fact that you have a job may come into play. You may still get rental assistance but not as much, but as for baby bonus, you, or her are more than entitled.

Is your wife Australian citizen?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Hello

Centrelink asked for my tax file number which of course I did not have at the time so as they couldnt be arsed with the problems that this presented, they put her down as a single mum, until I get my tax file number ( which i now have ) But as I am unemployed they still persist that she should remain on the system as a single mum. So if wifey is Aussie citizen then she is entitled to baby bonus, and rental assistance, you just have to be a bit clever about it. I am not suggesting you cheat the system but merely lean on the circumstances. We were honest about our situation and it swung in our favour, but the fact that you have a job may come into play. You may still get rental assistance but not as much, but as for baby bonus, you, or her are more than entitled.

She is not an Australian citizen but permanent resident. Centrelink website clearly states that holders of permanent visa are eligible for baby bonus, if I m not mistaken.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

So my query is.

1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - The waiting period applies to unemployment benefits and not family tax benefits or rental assistance payments

So in short, when your wife has her baby then she can claim the baby bonus and will be entitled to FTB and rental assistance - subject to income testing. How long you have lived here is irrelevant so long as you are PR
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - The waiting period applies to unemployment benefits and not family tax benefits or rental assistance payments

So in short, when your wife has her baby then she can claim the baby bonus and will be entitled to FTB and rental assistance - subject to income testing. How long you have lived here is irrelevant so long as you are PR
Many thanks Wendy . Impressive. May be you re sharing your experience. I’d go to family assistance office tomorrow & confirm the same for peace of mind & will post their response too.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Wendy . Impressive. May be you re sharing your experience. I’d go to family assistance office tomorrow & confirm the same for peace of mind & will post their response too.
Yes, we claimed both FTB and rent assistance for the first year we were here. Didn't need the baby bonus though thank God
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, we claimed both FTB and rent assistance for the first year we were here. Didn't need the baby bonus though thank God
I know what you meant . lol
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:22 am
ABCDiamond

Just a few things on the Paid Parental Leave - Maternity Pay in Australia

January 2011 implementation
  • This Parental leave is for eligible working parents of children born or adopted on or after 1 January 2011.
  • It is paid for up to 18 weeks at the National Minimum Wage - currently $569.90 a week before tax (2010)
  • Claimants must be Australian residents with an income of under $150,000 per year.
  • Claimants must have worked for at least 10 of the 13 months prior to the birth of the child.
  • Note: You cannot receive Parental Leave Pay and a Baby Bonus payment for the same child. You get one OR the other.

Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

That's pretty crazy - maybe I'm reading it wrong but are you saying Centrelink are claiming she's a single parent, even though she isn't? So effectively cheating their own system, even though you are being upfront with everything?!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's pretty crazy - maybe I'm reading it wrong but are you saying Centrelink are claiming she's a single parent, even though she isn't? So effectively cheating their own system, even though you are being upfront with everything?!
I would guess it's just loose wording with regards to FTB part B which is for single parents or where one parent earns very little.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Pretty much Poll...

When I arrived we went to CL and said here I am, the partner and Father of the child, they asked me for my Tax file number which I said i do not have yet, as at the time I still didnt have my Visa, I was on ETA still. I think they were unsure what to do in this case so it was kind of swept under the carpet, but I generally got the impression that they couldnt be arsed with the additional admin that this would create, or even if there is a procedure for such a circumstance. However, now I have my visa, and my tax file number. ( received last week, they shall be informed ) Yes Crazy, but not complaining.

I would like to point out that i would much rather be earning to my full potential which would far outweigh any government assistance, which is great and very generous but makes me cringe having to rely on the Aussie government. Good jobs are rare on the coast but we know that
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Pretty much Poll...

When I arrived we went to CL and said here I am, the partner and Father of the child, they asked me for my Tax file number which I said i do not have yet, as at the time I still didnt have my Visa, I was on ETA still. I think they were unsure what to do in this case so it was kind of swept under the carpet, but I generally got the impression that they couldnt be arsed with the additional admin that this would create, or even if there is a procedure for such a circumstance. However, now I have my visa, and my tax file number. ( received last week, they shall be informed ) Yes Crazy, but not complaining.

I would like to point out that i would much rather be earning to my full potential which would far outweigh any government assistance, which is great and very generous but makes me cringe having to rely on the Aussie government. Good jobs are rare on the coast but we know that
I think we stand to lose a bit of money but not much ....
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

She is not an Australian citizen but permanent resident. Centrelink website clearly states that holders of permanent visa are eligible for baby bonus, if I m not mistaken.
Kerching!!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much Poll...

Beggars belief really doesn't it, you try and do things properly and they can't cope with it!
Good luck with the job hunting not the easiest of areas to find work at present as I understand it
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Beggars belief really doesn't it, you try and do things properly and they can't cope with it!
Good luck with the job hunting not the easiest of areas to find work at present as I understand it
It does!! I couldnt believe it, but I really got the impression they couldnt care less.. LOL

Yes, looking for a job is a full time occupation in itself but determined not to move or commute to Brisbane. Went there the other day on the train, it was horrific, great place but not for me, I came here to escape the rat race. And I love Sunny Coast, however that is a contradiction of terms and even borderline trade description fraud as its rarely bloody sunny !! but I know its coming and everyone speaks of the worst spring ever, and that "wet season" is around the corner....umm, so whats the last 2 months been all about then? preliminary wet season?.....

That said I love it here, just need a damn job! had my feet up for couple of months now, going insane, highlight of my day is collecting fallen palm throngs and putting them in a pile, maybe one day i`ll treat myself and cut the bastard things up! But then baby girl is always a pleasure to be around so maybe i should enjoy xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.