Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Moving to Melbourne

Old May 19th 2011, 7:24 am
Just Joined

catbarnes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne

Hi,

We are moving to Melbourne from the UK in July or August and are looking at the Mornington Peninsula. We have a 10 year old son who we would like to go to a private school which will very much decide on the area we go to. My fiancé will be working in central Melbourne and will need to commute, having done this in and out of London every day he is happy to do so but where we move to will also need to be within an hou to hour and a half commute distance.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good places to live with children?

I have contacted Woodleigh School, Toorak College and The Peninsula School, all of which do not have places in his year group. Does anyone have any suggestions of other schools that are a good option?

Any help would be appreciated
Old May 19th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

There are few train lines on the Mornington to residential areas(just down the more industrial Hastings side) , so anyone who lives there and works in Melbourne has to endure a long car commute to CBD or a drive to Frankston station.

For some reason an hour's commute in Melbourne area seems a lot longer than an hour into London. Also it is good to enjoy life, and opt for a shorter commute.

There are lots of private schools in greater Melbourne- not sure of the stats but probably 50pct of kids go to private school, so wherever you are there will be a choice of good/reasonable/indifferent private schools to chose from.

So probably easier to think of a budget (renting or buying) what you require (transport, beach, community, bush) and this will narrow the areas....then you can find a private school not too far away.

Private schools are nowhere near the elitist system they are in UK.
Old May 19th 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

catbarnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your advice, I have spent hours searching the internet looking at properties area's and prices. We are coming out next week for a quick visit (not so quick a journey) and I was hoping to visit some schools then, I think we will have to find a couple of area's that we like and look at schools from there
Old May 20th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catbarnes
Thank you for your advice, I have spent hours searching the internet looking at properties area's and prices. We are coming out next week for a quick visit (not so quick a journey) and I was hoping to visit some schools then, I think we will have to find a couple of area's that we like and look at schools from there
Hi,

Welcome to British Expats.

Bit of background on us, may help...we moved out here 6 years ago. I had almost a 2 hour commute each way between rural Hampshire to London, grew tired of the train delays and rarely seeing the family. When we moved here we initially looked at the Mornington Peninsula but everyone told us we were mad - very few folks commute "long" distances compared to London.

We agreed that the reason we moved to Oz was for a better quality of life, more time together as a family and having time/energy to do things after work. Yes we could buy a huge place on the Peninsula (which is beautiful) but it would be back to long commutes.

We therefore rented, then bought, in Beaumaris. Far enough out to be suburban and quiet but close enough to beaches, the city (concerts, restaurants, sport) and the Peninsula. Looking back I firmly believe we made the right choice.

As someone says above it seems to be a longer commute. I have 2 colleagues who do this. For them its about 1 hour 45 mins each way. Drive to Frankston South, then train to City. Driving is ok if you leave very early morning but shocking late afternoon/early evening.

Depending on your budget then consider Mordialloc, Mentone, Parkdale, Beaumaris, Black Rock and Sandringham. The latter few are more expensive, largely as they are close to the city but are fabulous areas. That also gives you access to numerous private schools. Our 11 year old has just moved from the local primary school to a private school in Brighton, and she's loving it. Happy to tell you which schools we looked at and why we selected the one we did.

Hope that helps - feel free to PM if you have any other questions. Good luck with the trip and the move.

Col
Old May 20th 2011, 7:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Our 11 year old has just moved from the local primary school to a private school in Brighton, and she's loving it. Happy to tell you which schools we looked at and why we selected the one we did.
Hi Col, did you consider the state school Mentone Girls Secondary College at all?

BB
Old May 20th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Col, did you consider the state school Mentone Girls Secondary College at all?

BB
Hi Buzzy,

Yep, looked at Mentone, Firbank, Haileybury and St Leaonards. Went for the latter, largely due to their focus on arts and drama and her lack of interest in sport !

Also wanted a break from local area.

Cheers
Col