Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canada to Australia

Canada to Australia

Old May 18th 2011, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada to Australia

Is there anyone on the site done the move from Winnipeg to Australia?

I just wondered if anyone knew of the best removal firm to use when sending over?

Many Thanks
Old May 19th 2011, 12:55 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canada to Australia

I don't know of any from Winnipeg. I know another poster on here used Allied Pickfords (from what I recall anyway). I don't think you need any info specific to Winnipeg as any shipper that would ship to Australia is likely to be nationwide.

Do you have a visa yet, or do you qualify for one?

Where would you be headed?
Old May 19th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Edmonton to Perth here...

Phone around and see who offers overseas shipping in your area. You might not have much of a choice. I called three or four companies and they all redirected my calls back to Starline, so that's who we went with as there wasn't much of an option...

http://www.starlineoverseas.com/
Old May 19th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Japonica
Edmonton to Perth here...

Phone around and see who offers overseas shipping in your area. You might not have much of a choice. I called three or four companies and they all redirected my calls back to Starline, so that's who we went with as there wasn't much of an option...

http://www.starlineoverseas.com/
I'm about to swap places with you. Perth to Edmonton! or maybe Perth to Calgary ... not sure yet!
Old May 19th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
I'm about to swap places with you. Perth to Edmonton! or maybe Perth to Calgary ... not sure yet!
Too funny...good luck! Hope you the move goes well...er, you did a reccie right, so you have an idea what your new home will be like...it's a lot different from Perth...
Old May 19th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

definitely pick Calgary ..Edmonton would have to be the MOST BORING 'city' on the planet. I spent a week there and was completely underwhelmed, spent my days wondering the "mall" there like a zombie.

Then again, you may love it!!!
Old May 19th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Too funny...good luck! Hope you the move goes well...er, you did a reccie right, so you have an idea what your new home will be like...it's a lot different from Perth...
Definately did a reccie, plus I lived in Edmonton and Jasper for 15 months on a working visa :-)

Got any tips?
Old May 19th 2011, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussietobe
definitely pick Calgary ..Edmonton would have to be the MOST BORING 'city' on the planet. I spent a week there and was completely underwhelmed, spent my days wondering the "mall" there like a zombie.

Then again, you may love it!!!
I didn't mind Edmonton! Loads of festivals during summer! Perth takes some beating at the boring city title :-)

Would be moving to Melbourne if I wasn't set in Canada I think!
Old May 19th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definately did a reccie, plus I lived in Edmonton and Jasper for 15 months on a working visa :-)

Got any tips?
Nope, if you were there for 15 months, then I think you have a pretty good handle on things...I have a friend who also moved from Perth to Canada (married a Canadian) and the first winter took a bit of getting used to.

Summer is one festival after another Personally, I always found the months from Jan to March to be the toughest...Christmas over, sick of shovelling, -30C spells on and off, and just waiting for spring to show up. They had a particularly long and miserable winter this year, with snow on the ground until late April and a couple of spring snowstorms.

I do miss the variety of restaurants in Edmonton though...and hey, I just heard the downtown stadium will be going through...so that will liven up the area a bit. Now just to get a team who can actually win some games playing there...

Go Canucks!
Old May 20th 2011, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Nope, if you were there for 15 months, then I think you have a pretty good handle on things...I have a friend who also moved from Perth to Canada (married a Canadian) and the first winter took a bit of getting used to.

Summer is one festival after another Personally, I always found the months from Jan to March to be the toughest...Christmas over, sick of shovelling, -30C spells on and off, and just waiting for spring to show up. They had a particularly long and miserable winter this year, with snow on the ground until late April and a couple of spring snowstorms.

I do miss the variety of restaurants in Edmonton though...and hey, I just heard the downtown stadium will be going through...so that will liven up the area a bit. Now just to get a team who can actually win some games playing there...

Go Canucks!

Canucks .... I bet your friends will shoot you down with Oilers water pistols!

Only spent 4 months in Edmonton, spent the rest in Jasper ... man that place is awesome! I have kids now so the Jasper school system (or lack of) keeps me away from there!.

I loved the restaurant scene too, that is one thing that is really lacking over here!

Only reason I'm considering Calgary is because my Sister lives there! Haven't spent much time in Calgary, they get the Chinooks to relieve the winter every now and then, so hopefully that will help get through the brutal winters!

Would you ever go back there?
Old May 20th 2011, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Canucks .... I bet your friends will shoot you down with Oilers water pistols!

Only spent 4 months in Edmonton, spent the rest in Jasper ... man that place is awesome! I have kids now so the Jasper school system (or lack of) keeps me away from there!.

I loved the restaurant scene too, that is one thing that is really lacking over here!

Only reason I'm considering Calgary is because my Sister lives there! Haven't spent much time in Calgary, they get the Chinooks to relieve the winter every now and then, so hopefully that will help get through the brutal winters!

Would you ever go back there?
I think my Oilers buddies are all in hiding...except my auntie who is a diehard fan and doesn't care if they're dead last in the standings.

We're just coming up to two years in Perth...I don't know if we'd go back to Edmonton. Canada, sure, but I've spent most of my life in Edmonton and hubby spent 20+ years there and I think we're done with it. Sad part is that with his work, if we did come back to Canada, in all likelihood we'd end up in either Calgary or Edmonton again...so I guess we'd better stay in Perth until he's ready to retire and we'll just move to BC. LOL.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

I think my Oilers buddies are all in hiding...except my auntie who is a diehard fan and doesn't care if they're dead last in the standings.

We're just coming up to two years in Perth...I don't know if we'd go back to Edmonton. Canada, sure, but I've spent most of my life in Edmonton and hubby spent 20+ years there and I think we're done with it. Sad part is that with his work, if we did come back to Canada, in all likelihood we'd end up in either Calgary or Edmonton again...so I guess we'd better stay in Perth until he's ready to retire and we'll just move to BC. LOL.
If it wasn't for the rain in Vancouver, we would move there in a heartbeat! I'm in construction / mining management so Calgary is the place for me at the moment I think!
Do you not find Perth sleepy?
Old May 20th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

If it wasn't for the rain in Vancouver, we would move there in a heartbeat! I'm in construction / mining management so Calgary is the place for me at the moment I think!
Do you not find Perth sleepy?
Yeah, but then we're not big party animals...we have young kids and don't get out much anyway. Right now, the whole parks, beaches, playgrounds thing is ideal...we like that we can take the kids out year round to run around and let off some steam. That gets tougher back in Edmonton in January when the playground equipment is buried under snow and the kids complain about being cold and want to go back home.

Construction/mining management hey...I hear there's some big projects coming up so that should keep you busy.

As for Vancouver, yeah, the area is beautiful but the climate would drive me bonkers and the house prices are unreal (can't believe I'm saying that living in Perth...LOL). It's not for us either...now maybe the Okanagan when we're way past it...
Old May 20th 2011, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother bought a house quite a few months back in Carstairs (north of Calgary)...said the other day that his street has just came alive with all these kids that he didn't even know lived there (he has 2 young girls) ...it seems it was a long hard winter this year...I think that might be why they go festival crazy in summer.