Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to melbourne

Moving to melbourne

Old May 28th 2007, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

jeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to alljeezer73 is a name known to all
Red face Moving to melbourne

Hi all,

Just discovered this site and love it! So helpful and informative, I can see me spending hours here.

Anyhoo, My Girlfriend and I have just got residency (activated it on a flying 5 day visit to Darwin and back in Feb!).

We're looking at moving to Oz for good in October this year and are planning on moving to Melbourne to try the life there.
We've both done the 1 year working visa when we were younger and both stayed in Sydney for the majority of the time so feel (although we loved it) that we've seen it and done it so to speak in regards to Sydney.

Does anyone have any good tips on melbourne in regards to best area' s to live i.e to get a great feel of the city, also any other general titbits of information that may be useful?????

Also be good to hear from other people who have made the move to Melbourne and their stories.
Old May 28th 2007, 4:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to melbourne

Originally Posted by jeezer73
Hi all,

Just discovered this site and love it! So helpful and informative, I can see me spending hours here.

Anyhoo, My Girlfriend and I have just got residency (activated it on a flying 5 day visit to Darwin and back in Feb!).

We're looking at moving to Oz for good in October this year and are planning on moving to Melbourne to try the life there.
We've both done the 1 year working visa when we were younger and both stayed in Sydney for the majority of the time so feel (although we loved it) that we've seen it and done it so to speak in regards to Sydney.

Does anyone have any good tips on melbourne in regards to best area' s to live i.e to get a great feel of the city, also any other general titbits of information that may be useful?????

Also be good to hear from other people who have made the move to Melbourne and their stories.
I don't live in Australia so can't help I'm afraid but I just know you will soon be inundated with people helping you out as they are a friendly bunch here. I just wanted to welcome you to the site.
Sue
Old May 28th 2007, 7:39 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi Jeezer - Welcome to B.E.
We're off to Melbourne at the end of the year too.
What kind of place are you wanting to live? near the sea, the bush, the nightlife? How much can you spend etc. this will all help people to give you some suggestions.
Also if you go to Britvics you will get more specific info as it's for people living in Melbourne/ Victoria.
Old May 28th 2007, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Murf is an unknown quantity at this point

The Murphy clan are shipping out to Melbourne July 31st we have researched loads of stuff and hopefully will be able to point you in the right direction. We are definately going to keep on BE to help others like ourselves, this forum has been a gem ! feel free to ask ! and good luck
Old May 29th 2007, 3:20 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

As Kapri mentioned earlier try asking this question on Britvics as its a forum solely for people moving to Victoria. If you want to be within striking distance of the city then I would say either St Kilda, South Yarra, Prahran are all lively places with plenty of cafe life etc and shops.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:01 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeezer !

We're off to Melb but havent a clue exactly where we'll end up

Good luck

Lee
Old May 29th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

b Welcome and good luck! BE is a valuable source of info and we have learnt sooo much. We fly out on 31st July and still know that there is so much to learn. Britvics is great for more Vic specific advice! I get all my strength from this forum, especially when I start to wobble!
Good Luck
Bex
Old May 29th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Wow Bexie....so soon

That's brilliant news, bet you can't wait. Thanks for the advice by the way re: VIT approval. All came through in the end and got my STNI sponsorship last week....send off visa app on saturday, so hopefully I won't be far behind you
Old May 29th 2007, 11:37 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Try this thread for starters

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453473
Old May 29th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Wow Bexie....so soon

That's brilliant news, bet you can't wait. Thanks for the advice by the way re: VIT approval. All came through in the end and got my STNI sponsorship last week....send off visa app on saturday, so hopefully I won't be far behind you
Am so glad to hear that freckles! Congratulations! Am feeling very ecited and nervous as the time approaches! So much to do, so litle time left. This half-trm will fly by and then only 5 weeks til we break for summer. Jobless, homeless carless but going to Oz and very excited! Good luck to you and I will await your Visa with anticipation!

Last edited by Bexie; May 29th 2007 at 11:53 am. Reason: typo