Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Moving to Melbourne

Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:38 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
What is the Melton region like? I spoke to a lady today at the school and she says her sister lives in Melton, so just wondered if any one had any in put on this area.
Mandy
Melton is ok. A bit out of the way in the West, near to Bacchus Marsh. The locals are really friendly, but it is not convenient for central Melbourne, as it takes ages to travel in by train, or in a car as the roads are a nightmare, either Ballarat road or the west gate bridge freeway. Saying that the area is really lovely, with easy access to the Great Ocean Road, Yoo Yangs national Park, not too far from Ballarat and goldmining country, and outside of suburban Melbourne sprawl. It ain't for everyone but some would love it, and it is relatively cheap to live there compared to most inner Melbourne areas.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
What is the Melton region like? I spoke to a lady today at the school and she says her sister lives in Melton, so just wondered if any one had any in put on this area.
Mandy
I love that whole area around there, the Macedon Ranges are beautiful and there is more wildlife than you can shake a stick at :P

We are building further out there (Riddells Creek) but feel free to come take a look next year when the house is finished :P It probably takes about 50ish mins by train to get into Melb from Riddells Creek but I'm not sure I would be so keen on doing the journey by train during rush hour, it would probably take about an hour and a half at peak times.

Its worth it though! Like you I hate city living and prefer to have green areas around me and to be able to talk in my house or garden without the neighbours being able to hear everything I say
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:46 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Mandy, just read this thread, you might be interested in the dandenong ranges, its not to far from cbd, nor penninsule about 35 mins in other direction. There is lots of towns there clustered together with beautiful scenary, greenery etc, nature trails, puffing billy steam train goes from emerald through the dandenong ranges, its very picturesque. Or wantirna near fern tree gully is also a goof family suburb within 5 minutes of knox city, a huge shopping area with cinemas , restaurants, bars gaming places etc, great for the kids. If you want to go further out , then pakenham near berwick is on route to 'THE VALLEY' gippsland, which is country the further down you go. Pakenham is really only newly developed in past few yrs, so house and land still cheap and they have great plans for future. Its also last stop on train for melbourne line straight from flinders street in cbd.
We are also thinking of moving to the Dandenong ranges. Everyone tells me how long it will take to get to work in the CDB so we might have to re-think it in the future. We stayed in a B&B in Kallista last year on our validation trip and visited the area and thought it was a great place to live, especially for the kids. We are also not city people and can't wait to get out of Bangkok.

Dave & Jen
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by thebears
Sounds good (house exchange and work)

The reference to specific property is more for you to get a feel for the area that the property resides - ie if a certain road or area seems to tick all the boxes - what the agents dont give you is the shots of "normal" life ie the shops the width of the street - the flow of traffic (even type of traffic ie big trucks)

Kiwi
OK well any time you are out Frankston South / Mount Eliza / Langwarrin way photos would be great - if I see something specific there I'll let you know, also I guess a bit futher in Patterson Lakes.

But only if you're planning a trip there anyway... very kind of you!

Buzzy
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:22 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
There are already two Ex pats in Ferntree Gully so its getting way to busy.

You could also look around Berwick area Mandy.
Or Emerald/Cockatoo areas - then I can visit when out seeing the rellies
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davidclifford
We are also thinking of moving to the Dandenong ranges. Everyone tells me how long it will take to get to work in the CDB so we might have to re-think it in the future. We stayed in a B&B in Kallista last year on our validation trip and visited the area and thought it was a great place to live, especially for the kids. We are also not city people and can't wait to get out of Bangkok.

Dave & Jen

Its a great place for kids.We were going to go to Penninsula but having a rethink as house and land alot more expensive, we are thinking of berwick, at least for the first 2 yrs then we can move on or whatever, Ihave friends and family all over the place so picking up some good tips.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidclifford

Dave & Jen
It'd be an hour by train. There's a station at Boronia - I think.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:57 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
It'd be an hour by train. There's a station at Boronia - I think.
There is but Upper Ferntree Gully would be closer.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:12 am
Just Joined

lynn59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trisha100
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to live in Melbourne - the best or better areas. Would then hope to move out to Geelong at a later stage.
hi Trish just saw ur thread we are moving to geelong in september,just waiting to compleat the house sale, we are thinking of renting in hyton my friends went out there at easter,thay are renting in belmont and have said that hyton is better, when we were last out tyher we had a drive around geelong and found hyton and bellpost hill are the best , thay have allot of ammenatis close bye. good luck
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

bryoak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We moved to Upper Fern Tree Gully just over a year ago from the UK. I must say it is the best place i have ever lived and the people are just sooo friendly.

For example we had only been here 2 months when my wife fell ill with pneumonia, she had to spend a week in hospital (also pregnant at the time with twins!!) I had just started a new job so couldn't realy get any time off. Someone at the local kinder heard about our situation and called all the other mums and dads together and sorted out a rota for looking after the kids making tea etc... They picked them up took them to kinder and then brought them home again!! We made some very good friends in a very short time. I would say we have made more 'real' friends here than we ever had in the UK.

As for UFTG - we had the chance to move into a few different areas. Some of the houses we looked at were stunning but at the end of the day we are going to stop where we are, we know when we are on to a winner!!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:53 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bryoak
Hi

We moved to Upper Fern Tree Gully just over a year ago from the UK. I must say it is the best place i have ever lived and the people are just sooo friendly.

For example we had only been here 2 months when my wife fell ill with pneumonia, she had to spend a week in hospital (also pregnant at the time with twins!!) I had just started a new job so couldn't realy get any time off. Someone at the local kinder heard about our situation and called all the other mums and dads together and sorted out a rota for looking after the kids making tea etc... They picked them up took them to kinder and then brought them home again!! We made some very good friends in a very short time. I would say we have made more 'real' friends here than we ever had in the UK.

As for UFTG - we had the chance to move into a few different areas. Some of the houses we looked at were stunning but at the end of the day we are going to stop where we are, we know when we are on to a winner!!

That would have been the Angliss hospital. They tell me the nurses are fantastic in there.

I bet you didn't know Shane Warne & Steve Irwin were both born in Upper FTG.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

That would have been the Angliss hospital. They tell me the nurses are fantastic in there.

I bet you didn't know Shane Warne & Steve Irwin were both born in Upper FTG.
If those 2 are the poster boys its no wonder I don't want to live there
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:05 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Teliko21
If those 2 are the poster boys its no wonder I don't want to live there
My Mrs said something very similar. But we do love living here to be honest.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

My Mrs said something very similar. But we do love living here to be honest.
I've been through there (but never lived there!) and I don't remember hating it Our hand has been forced as far as where to live by the gift of land but don't think I am bad mouthing UFTG, I try not to voice opinions on suburbs I'm not very familiar with but I do happen to have a dislike to those 2 blokes
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:19 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I've been through there (but never lived there!) and I don't remember hating it Our hand has been forced as far as where to live by the gift of land but don't think I am bad mouthing UFTG, I try not to voice opinions on suburbs I'm not very familiar with but I do happen to have a dislike to those 2 blokes
I'm not easily offended I promise.

I'm not in Upper FTG anyway.

I'm in the normal FTG My Mrs is an A&E nurse at the Angliss though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.