Reload this Page >

moving to doolandella brisbane

moving to doolandella brisbane

Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

futureoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to doolandella brisbane

hi all
well our plans of changed yet again thanks to hubbys job, we are now moving to doolandella brisbane, I was wondering if there's anyone in the area with teenage girls to help me decide where to send my youngest to school, any help on this area would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
kaz
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:22 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to doolandella brisbane

I had never heard of Doolandella, had to look it up!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by futureoz
hi all
well our plans of changed yet again thanks to hubbys job, we are now moving to doolandella brisbane, I was wondering if there's anyone in the area with teenage girls to help me decide where to send my youngest to school, any help on this area would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
kaz
stay clear of Inala, Carole Park and many of the other dodgy neighbourhoods out there.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 1:01 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at buying a block out there not long ago - some very nice properties mixed with some decrepit ones! I'd be looking into the myschools website to look at how the local schools achieve, but wouldn't be surprised if you might have to drive/bus a distance to find a 'good' school. If you can get your daughter to the Ipswich/Rosewood train line then Indooroopilly State High is very well regarded - and also offers the IB rather than 'normal' Years 11 & 12.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

thank you een warned about Inala, I've been looking at the st thomas more catholic school hopefully be ok thanks for the advice
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:43 am
Just Joined

williamandruby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We live very close to Doolandella, in Forest Lake, we have been here now for 4.5 years and lived in Forest Lake for a similar time. It is very difficult to chose an area, but is worth listening to some advice, however the more you listen the more conflicting advice becomes. We spend 6 weeks looking at lots of property and suburbs, not having any previous prejudices abouts suburbs and went with what we saw. Alot will come down to cost and how close you wish to be to the CBD and place of work. I work very close to home and hubby works in city and catches train. (costs $180 per month). Schools, well that is a completely different ball game and nothing like UK. My 3 children went to the local state school to start with until I was able to gain more knowledge over time about schools, which I am glad I did. there are state schools which generally accept from catchment areas, a few exeptions (but then they are very difficult to get into) and then there are the catholic private schools which are generally very cheap... and then a selection of other private schools which fees vary considerably, rising upto near $15000 per year plus for the senior school. (not forgetting the book costs and school uniform and other stuff). Once we had settled and I had a more understanding of the schools we settled with the local private school which allowed the children to be close to home, and we were happy with the school, we had got to know people who children were there. It is a very difficult decision to make and needs time to absorb all the different information you will receive.
As for renting/property, again gain lots of info, in my opinion lots of suburbs nearer the city are very expernsive for what you get and more congested.
I hope this gives you a little insight.....I agree in staying clear of Inala, it's not as bad as it use to be, very large Vietnamese community there now, as is Darra. Carole Park is a suburb in need of lots of TLC and lots of agencies are working in there with families.....Richlands is directly next to Inala, very industrial, however more residential being built, has the local station. Heathwood, very new, Pallara large plots and expensive, very small school. durack, split by main road, with some new build and other side directly with (merge) with Inala, Oxley not really sure again split by motorway, new and old parts. Forest Lake, purpose built suburb finished approx 5 years ago, stated more than 10 years ago, established with own selection of shops, several schools both state and private, regular buses.

Good Luck
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Hey thank you for your info, we are moving to doolandella then looking to buy in forest lakes, been looking at schools in the area, my daughter went to catholic school when we first moved to oz 3 years ago and hated it put her in the public school then and as thrived since, I am going to see how she goes in public then if she don't settle will put her through private
Thanks so much