Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving dogs from UK to Oz

Moving dogs from UK to Oz

Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Hurst2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving dogs from UK to Oz

We may be moving from the UK to Sydney for a couple of years and plan to bring our pet dogs with us. Can anyway share their experience of having moved their dogs and all the things we need to consider. So far, I have a quotation and can see it is expensive and that they will need to be in quarantine in Melbourne for 10 days, but other than that, I know very little. Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2016, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving dogs from UK to Oz

The other main consideration is rabies vaccinations. You would need at least six months for this, more probably because of the practicalities of getting tested etc. it is only ten days in quarantine if you have done the rabies process, otherwise it is six months.

If you have got quotes you presumably have been in touch with pet shippers and they are best placed to go into the process in more detail.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The only big issues apart from what you have identified are that some airlines won't fly at certain times of year and some won't fly certain breeds.

If you haven't had a quote from Pet Air then I would urge you to as they have an excellent reputation and are ran by vets.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

BJKLiffey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There, I have done this twice, once when moving to OZ. Then after 10 years in Oz moved back to the UK with 2 dogs.
Pets passport is great & saves the requirement for along stint in kennels.
I used Jet Pets from OZ.
Both times my dogs flew with British Airways .
I would suggest you speak with your vet as your dog will need a series of vacinations.
It is not a cheap process, I would do it again .
Good Luck
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:43 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

Another nod for Petair (Google Petairuk) - we flew two big hairy olde english sheepdogs out 3.5 years ago. Its an expensive process with lots of paperwork and potential hitches. You can do alot of it yourself but you need to be organised and know exactly what you're doing. We delegated all that to Petair and so glad we did. We had a hitch with one of their blood tests (there's more than just rabies) and they helped enormously at a very stressful time. Our two flew with emirates and we had updates at every stage. Back then the quarantine requirement was much longer and it was hard - we sent the dogs out in advance which worked well for us. Be aware that although qantas will fly dogs on their domestic network there is a size limit - ours were too big so we had to pick them up from Melbourne and drive them to their new home. Good luck!