Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:15 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Brisbane (redcliffe) ?

Originally Posted by GCS15
lynnlovessun - I have been to that restaraunt. It is fantastic. The Lady who owns that used to own Bullivants which owned Natures Own (supplements). Her husband and herself sold out, bought two large houses side by side (each lives in their own house if you can believe it). Anyhow she was bored so opened up the restaraunt and here's the kicker... employed homeless street kids!!! I'll support her any day! In my humble opinion she deserves recognition from the state govt

Anyhow back onto Redcliffe. I used to work there as a bouncer and I can assure you that there are a lot of rough people there. There is a large Pacific Islander and aboriginal population. The people there are hard. I got on just fine with them but the area is lower socio-economic. I don't have a problem with this as that is exactly the spot me and my missus are in and we don't have any pretentions. If you don't want to live in a high crime area with lot's of unemployed, homeless youths with to much time on their hands and nothing to lose then go for it. I liked them because what you see is what you get. Redcliffe also serves as a dropping off point for people who have just got out of jail. That is no BS. The amount of times someone would come up to the door and tell us that he is out for a good time / not looking for trouble because he has just gotten out of jail was surprising for me. One time we had a fellow put two of my fellow bouncers in hospital and once we had him secured on the ground I told him he wasn't getting up until the cops arrived, that's when it got nasty. Whilst on the topic of hospitals Redcliffe's leaves a lot to be desired.

Just my observations.
Yeah that was my understanding of the area too - but only heard this through my aunt who is the CPN not seen this 1st hand. I ate there in the 'fish bowl' (really disapointed its not there anymore) and another hotel along the front which served really nice food (turned out it used to be a mans hostel or still was, but the retaurant was really lovely !!! we only found that out later!) I never saw the beach as was only there at night!

Lynn
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Yeah that was my understanding of the area too - but only heard this through my aunt who is the CPN not seen this 1st hand. I ate there in the 'fish bowl' (really disapointed its not there anymore) and another hotel along the front which served really nice food (turned out it used to be a mans hostel or still was, but the retaurant was really lovely !!! we only found that out later!) I never saw the beach as was only there at night!

Lynn
I do not believe there is a mans hostel on the front at present! What year/century could you be referring to.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:43 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScuntoBris
I do not believe there is a mans hostel on the front at present! What year/century could you be referring to.
Dec 2003 - its not 'oficially' A hostel but a hotel. Queensland at the time placed homeless men there as no other accomadation available. Similar scheme to ones in the UK. I can assure you it was true at the time as my aunt used to work in redcliffe on the mental health service and worked with homeless men routinely. Maybe they have integrated in to the community very well and you haven't noticed? they don't exactly broadcast this and it wouldn't put me off renting in Redcliffe or something as I quite liked it.