Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving from brisbane to cairns

moving from brisbane to cairns

Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving from brisbane to cairns

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
Hi

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm presuming thats by car? What time is classed as peak hour? does it take less by train? Questions questions..... sorri........

We were looking at moving to Wellington Point area, which is even further out. We thought it was about a 40 minute commute. I think its back to the drawing board again. Argh!!!!!

Thanks for you help

Dawn & Ste
I catch the train from Wellington Point on a morning and it takes about 45 mins. I have not actually driven into Brisbane in rush hour, but if I leave at about 9am it only takes me 40 mins so no problem.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snappy
At Kewarra itself there isn't a mass of shops just a few bottle shops etc
Says a lot about the locals

That's why QLD supermarkets dont sell grog.

WW
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:47 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
PMSL - you must know my friends as well then

I've got used to asking people if they want a beer instead of a cup of coffee and tea when they call in now as no time is too early or so it seems to have a quick beer
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:03 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

WW
theres actually just one bottle shop in kewarra.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:07 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
Hi

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm presuming thats by car? What time is classed as peak hour? does it take less by train? Questions questions..... sorri........

We were looking at moving to Wellington Point area, which is even further out. We thought it was about a 40 minute commute. I think its back to the drawing board again. Argh!!!!!

Thanks for you help

Dawn & Ste
the train is quicker about 50mins or so we dont really use the train much though as o/h does mobile air con so he cant carry a van full of tools on the train although he does have a trolley suitcase type thing on wheels for smaller tools wich he pulls around city for different jobs and depending on where the job is sometimes he has to park up and get the city cat because theres no parking available but if you need to be in the city before 9am on a good day it will take at least a hr birkdale is right next to wello point so not much difference in time for travelling
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:12 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by youngy73
Sorry I meant there was a couple of bottle shops etc as in there are other shops there but for the life of me I can't remember what they are just that the bottle shop sticks in my mind for some reason
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:28 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

As Youngy said No comparision - different worlds. I like living here as it is much less hectic than Brisbane, which is a lot less hectic than Sydney, which is a lot less hectic than..... Bloke I work with reckons Cairns is too hectic for him!!???

We found Brisbane to be too cold Took Bix's advice and headed north (now we know who to blame if it all goes pear-shaped)

We had a quote (big high profile firm) for a total pack n move I didnt know that many bank managers to get a loan from.
Ended up packing the boxes ourselves, so we could prioritise the boxes (essential/non-essential in case we short-term rented).

Removalist packed the container and sent it by rail. Rail has at least a week lead time. They unpacked the container at this end. Used Family Removals. No problems. They stored the container in Brisbane until we wanted it up here (dont store in Cairns due to humidity). Brisbane-Cairns is more than Cairns-Brisbane.

WW
thanks for ww i think brisbane is cold too!! i hate having to wear covered in shoes and iv even had to wear socks for a few days this yr brrrrrrr

wow snappy thanks fantastic reply i think the boys will give up the surf beaches as long as they can still go fishing,and kayaking ,swimming ,camping and you never know i might give in and agree to get a boat.
but 20mins 1/2 hr in to the city sounds great iv just been back to the uk and the traffic was better there than it is in brisbane.
i know the sea air corrodes everything we lived on the seafront in the uk but it makes up for it being able to hear the waves and look at the ocean.
we have looked at coming up for a holiday but flights were really expensive so were thinking of driving up in september for a look around
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:34 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Thought that I was set on Brisbane but on visit last month it seems to be a long way from good beaches (90 km to sunshine coast is a bit much) so am re-evaluating again.

What's Cairns like from a business point of view, Is there anything but tourism and tourism support infastructure? I work in corporate IT so not sure I would find suitible employment.

Also isnt 1700km from Brissy a bit remote and whats to do after dark?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
we are possibly thinking of a move from brissy to cairns
we really like the idea of living by the beach with the facilities of a city but apart from the obvious differences dont know that much about cairns or how much it will cost to move ? if wages are higher or lower? wich suburbs we should be looking at for the family beach lifestyle? so whats cains really like in comparision to brisbane?
has anyone made the move from brisbane to cairns?
im excited but nervous at the same time as after being here almost 2yrs we have only just recently felt settled and made a good bunch of freinds here any advice from anyone would help us alot
kerry
If I had my time again and didnt need to worry about work , we wouldve moved further up north, good call and good luck!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:32 am
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Thought that I was set on Brisbane but on visit last month it seems to be a long way from good beaches (90 km to sunshine coast is a bit much) so am re-evaluating again.

What's Cairns like from a business point of view, Is there anything but tourism and tourism support infastructure? I work in corporate IT so not sure I would find suitible employment.

Also isnt 1700km from Brissy a bit remote and whats to do after dark?
No we all like to act like mushrooms up here Of course there is heaps of pubs and clubs up here and plenty of things like bands, night markets etc etc etc you could even go and cuddle a koala after dark at the zoo if you so wished

Corporate side of things not too sure but due to the location the trading with the countries such as China, Japan etc makes things easier for businesses. It may not have the abundance of choice you would get in Brisbane but may be worth a look.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by youngy73
whats the schools like in kewarra areas??
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Thanks Kelli & Mand for your replies, much appreciated!!!

All the best with your move..

Dawn & Ste x