Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane 😊 Wanting more info

Moving to Brisbane 😊 Wanting more info

Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane 😊 Wanting more info

Originally Posted by CBenn
Yeah think she's on a L2
That would mean her husband is on an L1, and he is on secondment from his employer's UK operations.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I only wanted advice on Brisbane not interested in negitive people getting involved if you can give me advice on Brisbane don't say nothing at all! It just shows I come on here for help and advise and yet it attracts negitive people who has nothing nice to say! Thanks to everyone who actually gave me abit of advice and to everyone els who made smarky comments hope you find some happiness in your lives instead of been negitive about everyone els's !!!!
Well just to labour a point, but do you realise how lucky you are. The OH and I are both from working class families and we have been fed, watered and educated. Would this have happened had we lived in another part of the world, I don't know, especially for me purely as the female. I count my blessings that I was born in a country as magnificent as the UK. Have you ever watched the news! You should try that sometime and then maybe you would learn how lucky you are.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I only wanted advice on Brisbane not interested in negitive people getting involved if you can give me advice on Brisbane don't say nothing at all! It just shows I come on here for help and advise and yet it attracts negitive people who has nothing nice to say! Thanks to everyone who actually gave me abit of advice and to everyone els who made smarky comments hope you find some happiness in your lives instead of been negitive about everyone els's !!!!
Everyone is entitled to their say on a public forum and people like Grayling who have lived in both coutries offer a lot of realistic information and views.

Just for your info, have a read of the UK forum and you will see it is as hard, if not harder, to migrate to the UK than it is to Australia.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:13 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Me, my partner & 20 month old daughter are looking to emigrate in next couple of years to Brisbane oz (can't wait) we live in Bradford West Yorkshire at the min we hate it!!! It's gone soo down hill and of course the weather is rubbish it's not somewhere we want to bring up our child and future children up.
My partner would be the one to get us in he's a fully qualified plumber and gas engineer, I was wanting to know if he can bring his family in (me & his daughter) even if we're not married?? (We are engaged but not yet married and don't want to rush into it) and do we need a curtain amount of money in the bank for when we apply for our visa??
Also is there any companies in Brisbane/Gold Coast area that will be a good place for him to work or even get sponsored by???? And does anyone know the arrange wage for his occupation with 5 years expirence?
Also does anyone know the best superb for us to be looking at? We want a family friendly place where we can meet friends not too far from a beach and the main thing is good schools for my daughter???? And of course in a flood free zone!!
We haven't been to OZ yet but we have done a lot of research and are very interested were only young so we're going to try it anyway but we are going on vacation in November to check it out 😊

Any information that people can give us would be a great help.

Thank you
Chelsea, Craig & Charlee
If your partner is the main applicant, then you and your child go on his application as dependents. You will need proof that you are in a de facto relationship - should be no problem as you live together and have a child

As your post is more about the lifestyle choices of where to live etc than the visa process I'll move the thread to our main forum.

Is it just Brisbane you are looking at>
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:19 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of great suburbs in Brisbane that have good amenities, parks and schools. Brisbane does have some beaches (Redcliffe, Manly etc.) but the better beaches are approximately 1 hour north (Sunshine Coast) or 1 hour South (Gold Coast). As a plumber/gas fitter your partner would likely to be able find work in many places so you might have more flexibility than those who need office based work in the CBD for example. It's hard to find work from overseas - especially as a lot of trade occupations require Australian Trade equivalencies which may require re-training/certifications in Aus.

Plenty of people live very happy lives in Brisbane - but it isn't perfect by any means. Can take a few years to adjust to the humidity - but overall the weather is great. Winter especially is awesome IMO.

I rarely find it too hot to be outside and enjoy a lot of outdoor activities. I head to the coast (usually Sunny Coast for me) about once a month, more in summer and enjoy exploring in and around Brisbane the rest of the time.

Maybe start having a look at the qualification requirements for Plumbers to pass the skill assessment and also if there are any further requirements to be licensed in Australia.

I'd also start saving your pennies - the visa and move can be costly and it's a good idea to have some money behind you to set up and survive the first few weeks/months without a regular wage coming in.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:02 am
Just Joined

stevensarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Brisbane 😊 Wanting more info

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If your partner is the main applicant, then you and your child go on his application as dependents. You will need proof that you are in a de facto relationship - should be no problem as you live together and have a child

As your post is more about the lifestyle choices of where to live etc than the visa process I'll move the thread to our main forum.

Is it just Brisbane you are looking at>

Thank you for your reply! we have looked at Brisbane, sunshine coast or perth. We are concerned perth is a little remote from the rest of Australia and sunshine coast might not offer as good job opportunities. So we seem to be setting our sights on Brisbane. Do you have experience of living in Brisbane?

Just a quick question regarding visa points system. My partner has a BA (Hons) degree in cabinet making which im told would achieve 15 points. He also has an NVQ level 6 in site managment. Would he be able to claim 10 points here aswell? or just 15 points in total for the degree?

many thanks
sarah
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:46 am
Just Joined

j.crean is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody else live in Corinda? It's looking likely that's where I will be relocating to. What's everybody's personal experience of the suburb?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:20 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Sherwood which is right next to Corinda. I'm curious as to why you would move there specifically as it is just a suburb with no industry/workplace that you would have to live there for. That being said its a nice suburb with good amenities and public transport. Primary schools are good but you may wish to consider other high schools (Indooripilly State High is excellent). Mixture of older Queenslander houses, post-war cottages and newer builds.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

j.crean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
I live in Sherwood which is right next to Corinda. I'm curious as to why you would move there specifically as it is just a suburb with no industry/workplace that you would have to live there for. That being said its a nice suburb with good amenities and public transport. Primary schools are good but you may wish to consider other high schools (Indooripilly State High is excellent). Mixture of older Queenslander houses, post-war cottages and newer builds.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
I currently have a friend residing in Corinda who I know from England. In first instance I was going to live with her (or close by) for a couple of months if it seemed like a good option. However, i'm totally open for suggestions of much better/livlier Brisbane suburbs. It would be nice to live close by but of course not necessity
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:52 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

I hope I didn't imply that there is anything wrong with Corinda! It's a lovely suburb and probably a good spot to base yourself in to have a look around - good transport links. There are 185 suburbs in Brisbane and most of them are pretty nice. It really will depend on work location (if you are working in the CBD, living near a train is a good idea, if you work Northside live on the Northside and vice versa for the Southside - traffic can be a pain) and other requirements.

There are bayside suburbs and there are more rural suburbs too. I like where I live as it's good for my workplace and is quiet and relaxed. It has good cafes and eateries and easy access to shopping when required.

It's very hard to recommend places as we are all so different. Best of luck!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Honi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Me, my partner & 20 month old daughter are looking to emigrate in next couple of years to Brisbane oz (can't wait) we live in Bradford West Yorkshire at the min we hate it!!! It's gone soo down hill and of course the weather is rubbish it's not somewhere we want to bring up our child and future children up.
My partner would be the one to get us in he's a fully qualified plumber and gas engineer, I was wanting to know if he can bring his family in (me & his daughter) even if we're not married?? (We are engaged but not yet married and don't want to rush into it) and do we need a curtain amount of money in the bank for when we apply for our visa??
Also is there any companies in Brisbane/Gold Coast area that will be a good place for him to work or even get sponsored by???? And does anyone know the arrange wage for his occupation with 5 years expirence?
Also does anyone know the best superb for us to be looking at? We want a family friendly place where we can meet friends not too far from a beach and the main thing is good schools for my daughter???? And of course in a flood free zone!!
We haven't been to OZ yet but we have done a lot of research and are very interested were only young so we're going to try it anyway but we are going on vacation in November to check it out 😊

Any information that people can give us would be a great help.

Thank you
Chelsea, Craig & Charlee
Hi. I'm new to this site and was generally just having a look at what people were saying regarding Brisbane as that is where my partner, son and I are looking at moving to.
I read ur question and have signed up specifically to speak to u. I've tried to message u but it is not allowing me. Can u try and message me and I can see if it will let me reply. Thanks 😊
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:40 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Honi
Hi. I'm new to this site and was generally just having a look at what people were saying regarding Brisbane as that is where my partner, son and I are looking at moving to.
I read ur question and have signed up specifically to speak to u. I've tried to message u but it is not allowing me. Can u try and message me and I can see if it will let me reply. Thanks 😊
When you have three posts you can use the private message system
Old Jan 29th 2016, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Honi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that's ☺
Old Jan 29th 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
I hope I didn't imply that there is anything wrong with Corinda! It's a lovely suburb and probably a good spot to base yourself in to have a look around - good transport links. ...
Yes, and 450 suburbs when talking about Greater Brisbane which covers the 2.2 million population. Impossible to narrow down without knowing lots about the person moving.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

mangotree is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have a look at Mount Gravatt down to Logan as that would give your partner good chance of work down southside where there's loads of development currently and also Brisbane area too. Transport links are good from there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.