Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Originally Posted by With All Due Respect...
I'd like at least 2 beds with 2 baths and you don't even really see any apartments with that until around the $450 mark. Nice ones (from what I can see online) are more yet.

Have a nice trip! Get some pleasure in with that business. Not sure whether I'm going to take the plunge myself yet - I may have a job lined up back here in the UK that I could then transfer to Oz or SE Asia in a couple of years. I don't really fancy going all in and decimating my finances (again!), so unless I can pick up something from the other side of the World then I may be looking at the long game.
Thank you, I am lucky in that I work for a huge global company who relocate me lock, stock and barrel. I have been in the USA for the past 2.5yrs and visa runs out in January so it was a choice of renewing/extending the US visa, going back to the UK or considering some other options, so as I have always liked the idea of Australia, that's the option I am pursuing, at least for now.....
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:39 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Sounds great! You should certainly make the most of it until you find that one, sweet spot. Hmmmn, that's my dilemma right now though - scratch my itchy feet and head back overseas, or fight out getting this job with a huge, global company that will allow me to move all over the place in future whilst still working for them? I know what I want to do and what my heart says, but I think I should listen to my head for once!

Once again, enjoy! Now I'm off before I get spanked for threadspoiling...
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Clarky_X is an unknown quantity at this point

Ch3w84cc4 there is a PM waiting for you if you don't have email notifications for your PM.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Clarky_X is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
ah ok, further out than I was looking, that explains it - I guess 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, you either pay higher rent closer to where you work (if in the city itself) but less in travel cost and time or less rent but more money and time on transport, car or public transport.
My last few jobs in the UK have been 80 miles from home and 2 hour commutes each way. So for me 25-30 miles is nothing.

I'm hoping the trains and trams are reliable and not too expensive or overcrowded. If they are I'll just buy a push bike and cycle to work assuming most places in the city have showers. May have to live nearer to 20 miles than 30 to bike as cycling 20 miles is still a fair old chunk of the day. Anyway, anything is better than UK commutes.

Surely.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarky_X
My last few jobs in the UK have been 80 miles from home and 2 hour commutes each way. So for me 25-30 miles is nothing.

I'm hoping the trains and trams are reliable and not too expensive or overcrowded. If they are I'll just buy a push bike and cycle to work assuming most places in the city have showers. May have to live nearer to 20 miles than 30 to bike as cycling 20 miles is still a fair old chunk of the day. Anyway, anything is better than UK commutes.

Surely.
I am currently in Melbourne checking the place out for my potential move later this year. I've been impressed with the public transport, plenty of it and prompt. One of the guys in the office lives 50kms away and cycles a certain distance to a train station then comes the rest of the way using public transport. I like that the zones 1 and 2 Myki travel card which covers all forms of public transport, is capped at $3.50 for a weekend day (or Public holiday) so it makes coming into the city at the weekends very cheap.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 11:52 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Are you sure your looking at monthly rentals and not weekly? My daughter was paying over $400 per week for a 4 bed house in Wollongong - and I am sure its more expensive in Sydney.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 11:59 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ulla-410585299

Cronulla is a nice area to live, close to beaches and doable to CBD by train or car. This link shows a very nice apartment. Looking at real-estate.com.au for that area the average is around $700 pw.