Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Ch3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really nice
Default Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Hi all,

I have been offered a job in Sydney as a Senior Test Consultant and I am trying to work out what sort of package I need as they will be paying for me to come across but I will have to pay for my wife and 2 small children.

The first question I have is what is a 'liveable' salary in Sydney? We would be renting a house in the suburbs so I would expect probably an hours travel in. I am coming across on a Talent Accredited Employer Work Visa where as the wife would be in on a 457.

I guess the biggest question is what is the cost of Education as my son would be 2 and my daughter would be 5 so in primary education.

The other question is around tax and NI. Do we have to pay anything in the UK on top of what we would pay in Aus?

I appreciate I have just asked for the moon on the stick there, but I would really appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Originally Posted by Ch3w84cc4
I am coming across on a Talent Accredited Employer Work Visa
Isn't that the name for a New Zealand visa? What's the subclass number for the visa?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Ch3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really niceCh3w84cc4 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Australia and trying to work out the cost for a young family

Ah I may have got that bit wrong then, because they are hiring for New Zealand as well, so it may the 457 then.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Clarky_X is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Is that the fella from the Planit interviews held on Thu in Brum? The chap who I chatted to just up the road from the conference at lunch time?

I just joined this forum too.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Yeah its Employee Sponsored Visa
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Excellent Yep that is me.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I'd say around the $120K mark - should be doable if you have a reasonably modest lifestyle.... Have you got a niche skill? If a skill in demand, then worth asking for more.....
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:52 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I have been offered a job in Sydney as a Senior Test Consultant and I am trying to work out what sort of package I need as they will be paying for me to come across but I will have to pay for my wife and 2 small children.

The first question I have is what is a 'liveable' salary in Sydney? We would be renting a house in the suburbs so I would expect probably an hours travel in. I am coming across on a Talent Accredited Employer Work Visa where as the wife would be in on a 457.

I guess the biggest question is what is the cost of Education as my son would be 2 and my daughter would be 5 so in primary education.

The other question is around tax and NI. Do we have to pay anything in the UK on top of what we would pay in Aus?

I appreciate I have just asked for the moon on the stick there, but I would really appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Many thanks.
You will have to pay SCHOOL FEES on a 457 visa in New South Wales, so factor that into your maths.

Full Details here - http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu....s/trp/fees.pdf

http://migrant.nabgroup.com/en/educa...7-visa-holders

457 Visa holder fees for government schools, per child, are as follows:

New South Wales

$4,500 Years kindergarten – Year 6 primary school
$4,500 Years 7–10 Junior high school
$5,500 Years 11–12 senior high school

More info
http://www.mumsgone2aus.com/2011/10/...ary-residents/

http://www.decinternational.nsw.edu.au/
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks.
I just don't think it is possible to put a $ on a "liveable salary". People make all kinds of things work for them.

I would advise understanding what the market rate for your occupation is and also understanding what is comparable to what you have now and then making a decision accordingly.

Example: If you live in London on GBP 50k, then in Sydney you would want about $120k plus school fees for example.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Congrats on the offer J. Silvana rang me last night and left me a voicemail as I had gone bed. Just left her a vm back so will see what today holds.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

I too have just had a job offer from Planit. Realistically it will be 12 months before we can get over I think.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Firstly thank you for your responses and yes Clarky I think it will be the same time scale to be honest. Trying to work out whether it is better to sell the house or to rent it out.

The School Fees is a relief because they are about what I am paying at the minute. I guess the big one will be the cost of renting.

I have a choice of Melbourne or Sydney. I was told that Sydney has more of a pub culture where as Melbourne has more of coffee culture (companies words not mine!). The question I have is Melbourne cheaper to live in than Sydney?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Rapid1980paul is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly thank you for your responses and yes Clarky I think it will be the same time scale to be honest. Trying to work out whether it is better to sell the house or to rent it out.

The School Fees is a relief because they are about what I am paying at the minute. I guess the big one will be the cost of renting.

I have a choice of Melbourne or Sydney. I was told that Sydney has more of a pub culture where as Melbourne has more of coffee culture (companies words not mine!). The question I have is Melbourne cheaper to live in than Sydney?

I lived in sydney back in 2004 and i found it cheaper than London, but i have friends that live ther enow and they say it has increased quite a bit, renting an apartment in the CBD will cost you around $1000 a month i imagine you will want a house which will cost you slightly more obviously. Best bet is google an ozzy equivalent of rightmove and you will get up to date prices. Sydney is a great city and definatly a pub/club culture bit like most citys really. Personally my heart lies in sydney, im not usually a city type but it was such a nice clean city to live in its where i will start off, saying that most citys i went to where extrmely clean. Some rough areas but there are everywhere. If i was you i would rent my house out for a year make some money on rental cover morgage and subsize with your ozzy cost, even if you made £200 a month after covering morgage would help you in oz then you know you always have a place to return without starting all over again and then if after a year or 2 your settled in sell up or continue to rent.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Bear in mind the school fees in Oz are for state schools not private (and factor in the same costs as the UK - ie uniforms etc - and I think you have to buy all your own books too)

I suspect Melbourne will have the lower COL, specially if you're looking at an hour's commute to the city. Locals will be able to give you some nice suburbs at the right distance - and then check out www.realestate.com.au for indicative rental costs.

I'm not sure if it's changed in the last few years but the Aussie 'pub' is not like the UK one - or bar for that matter - maybe Sydney has adopted the more European flavour - but watch out for the pokies. And well done if you find any time for pubs with 2 youngsters!

Best of luck
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rapid1980paul
I lived in sydney back in 2004 and i found it cheaper than London, but i have friends that live ther enow and they say it has increased quite a bit, renting an apartment in the CBD will cost you around $1000 a month i imagine you will want a house which will cost you slightly more obviously. Best bet is google an ozzy equivalent of rightmove and you will get up to date prices. Sydney is a great city and definatly a pub/club culture bit like most citys really. Personally my heart lies in sydney, im not usually a city type but it was such a nice clean city to live in its where i will start off, saying that most citys i went to where extrmely clean. Some rough areas but there are everywhere. If i was you i would rent my house out for a year make some money on rental cover morgage and subsize with your ozzy cost, even if you made £200 a month after covering morgage would help you in oz then you know you always have a place to return without starting all over again and then if after a year or 2 your settled in sell up or continue to rent.
Your not going to get anything for $1000 a month in the city. We lived there in 2008 and a two bedroomed appartment was $650 and that wasnt anywhere near the CBD. I dont think the price will have come down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.