Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia from Edmonton

Moving to Australia from Edmonton

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

bobby.souva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Australia from Edmonton

I am looking for anybody that can help me along the way... I am a 26 year old female law student looking to move to brisbane, Australia. I currently live in edmonton, alberta, canada... I am quite sick of the cold weather and would really like a change... Could anybody tell me what i need to move there and how to get started...

thanks..... Looking to go down under....
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:57 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Australia from Edmonton

Why don't you start with a working holiday visa to see what you think of the place? If you like it it would help you to figure out where you would like to live, and what kind of lifestyle suits you - without having to commit to anything too permanent.

Unfortunately it seems Canadians do not (yet) have the same generous visa conditions for work in Australia that they have granted to Australians. But you are still able to work in Australia for a year, with the possibility of an extension depending on what kind of work you do.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Australia from Edmonton

Well to get started you'll need some sort of visa. If you're wanting to mover over then I expect you'll want to be able to make some money working.

Start here to figure out what kind of visa you can come on.
http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm

Your visa options appear to be the working holiday visa. As mentioned this would allow you to come over for 1 year. You can only work for an employer at most for 6 months and then you'd have to find another one. If you do some farm type work (think picking fruit, etc) for a total of 3 months then you can get a 1 year extension on your visa. After this visa is done then you would have to leave the country. So it's not a way in to stay long term.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work.../417/index.htm

Or... you could get a student visa if you're prepared to finish school here. This visa would allow you to work 20 hours a week, but no more. I would guess that you would be charged international tuition fees though so it could be expensive.
http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...oser/index.htm

Your other options are to finish school in Canada and try and get a little work experience. These visas would get you into Australia on a temporary or permanent basis (depending on which visa).
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ns-outside.htm

The skilled permanent visa (175) requires recent working experience. Whereas the temp visa (457) I don't think requires it, just an employer willing to sponsor.

I hope that gives you a few options. We came over on a 175 visa, we applied for it on our own because we wanted the security of being able to stay (we've got 2 little kids).