Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is everything out to kill you over here?!!

Is everything out to kill you over here?!!

Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:02 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is everything out to kill you over here?!!

I was just walking back from an appointment with my little boy in his buggy, through the suburbs, minding my own business and I was swooped upon by a mahooosive bird - resembled a magpie/crow - five times! I even hid under a tree after the fourth time as it was scaring the crap out of me!!! I thought I'd lost it when it came back for one last go. The bloody thing was getting closer every time! Aaargh. Is this a regular/normal thing..? - I need to know if I should expect this everytime I go out!! This is only the second time I've walked around our neighbourhood and I'm completely amazed at the balls the bird had - I swear I was ready to take a swipe at it with my bag after the fifth time!!!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is everything out to kill you over here?!!

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
I was just walking back from an appointment with my little boy in his buggy, through the suburbs, minding my own business and I was swooped upon by a mahooosive bird - resembled a magpie/crow - five times! I even hid under a tree after the fourth time as it was scaring the crap out of me!!! I thought I'd lost it when it came back for one last go. The bloody thing was getting closer every time! Aaargh. Is this a regular/normal thing..? - I need to know if I should expect this everytime I go out!! This is only the second time I've walked around our neighbourhood and I'm completely amazed at the balls the bird had - I swear I was ready to take a swipe at it with my bag after the fifth time!!!
Rather like the seagulls we had back home in Brighton, second cousin to an eagle
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

very common ! welcome to australia....hee hee.
http://www.trevorsbirding.com/do-bla...ird-behaviour/
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:30 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Magpies swoop in spring.

This is what I said on another forum:

Magpies can become dangerous in springtime. They are very fierce when it comes to protecting their young, and they ‘swoop’ people from September to early November. These birds are quite large, with very strong beaks, and all schoolchildren get lessons in how to deal with them.
You come learn which birds in your area are dangerous – sometimes the local government or council will put warning signs on trees where dangerous birds are residing.
If a magpie is watching you the best thing to do is to stare at it until you have left ‘their area’. They will not approach you if they know your eyes are on them.
At that time of year you will see that anybody who is out walking carries a big stick. This is used both to provide something higher than your head, should a magpie swoop you, and also to hit a bird away should it become too aggressive. Some bike riders paint eyes on the top of their helmets, and some schoolchildren wear hats with eyes painted on the top.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:33 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SNH
Magpies swoop in spring.

This is what I said on another forum:

Magpies can become dangerous in springtime. They are very fierce when it comes to protecting their young, and they ‘swoop’ people from September to early November. These birds are quite large, with very strong beaks, and all schoolchildren get lessons in how to deal with them.
You come learn which birds in your area are dangerous – sometimes the local government or council will put warning signs on trees where dangerous birds are residing.
If a magpie is watching you the best thing to do is to stare at it until you have left ‘their area’. They will not approach you if they know your eyes are on them.
At that time of year you will see that anybody who is out walking carries a big stick. This is used both to provide something higher than your head, should a magpie swoop you, and also to hit a bird away should it become too aggressive. Some bike riders paint eyes on the top of their helmets, and some schoolchildren wear hats with eyes painted on the top.
Wow, that is really interesting - thank you. Funnily enough, once I did start keeping my eye on where it was it stopped. Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons why air rifles should be legal in Australia.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Yes it’s swooping season, and magpies swoop you (some people have been killed – I’m serious). Make sure you don’t look at them so they don’t swoop at your eyes and try wear a hat.

The first time I came to Oz I was 11 and me, my Mum and Brother decided to walk to the shopping centre, on the way we got attacked by Magpies, had no idea what was happening.... we just ran down the road screaming, it looked like a scene from Hitckcocks’ “The Birds”

Mikey
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Wow, that is really interesting - thank you. Funnily enough, once I did start keeping my eye on where it was it stopped. Thanks
The reason you shouldn’t look at them is because of this: “A 74 year old Mildura man died after a magpie attack in which he received a serious eye injury.”

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/animalattacks.htm

Mikey
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:55 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

I've actually just reported the incident to the Environmental Protection Agency as it happened right next to Moreton Bay College which is quite concerning - there's a lot of little kids in that area. Not sure if anything will come of it but it's worth a try.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc

The first time I came to Oz I was 11 and me, my Mum and Brother decided to walk to the shopping centre, on the way we got attacked by Magpies, had no idea what was happening.... we just ran down the road screaming, it looked like a scene from Hitckcocks’ “The Birds”

Mikey
Ya big fairy!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually just reported the incident to the Environmental Protection Agency . . .
You've only been here two minutes and you're writing strongly worded letters to the council already!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartacus
Ya big fairy!
Hey, we had been in the country 2 days and out of no where got attacked by about 8 birds, lol.... you would of done the same, admit it!

2 days in the country you are looking out for spiders and snakes, not normal birds.

Oh, does anyone know why the magpies attack you here but not overseas?

Mikey
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:05 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

Originally Posted by spartacus
You've only been here two minutes and you're writing strongly worded letters to the council already!
Are you kidding! I had to write to the council the other day after the bloody bin men depostited half our rubbish in the middle of the road for the birds to pick at - including my kid's messy nappies. Not nice at all. I'm not a whinger (normally) but I figure if you don't speak up then the only person to blame if it happens again is yourself. Anyway. I'm gonna complain about the bloody noisy frogs in our garden next - and the crickets - how dare they spoil our evening peace
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:06 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Oh, does anyone know why the magpies attack you here but not overseas?
I reckon there's something in the water or something that sends all these creatures into a murderous frenzy.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you kidding! I had to write to the council the other day after the bloody bin men depostited half our rubbish in the middle of the road for the birds to pick at - including my kid's messy nappies. Not nice at all. I'm not a whinger (normally) but I figure if you don't speak up then the only person to blame if it happens again is yourself. Anyway. I'm gonna complain about the bloody noisy frogs in our garden next - and the crickets - how dare they spoil our evening peace
You're an habitual moaner. They'll have your cards marked!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.