Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia

Moving to Australia

Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:46 pm
Banned

cheapflightsgatwick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Australia

Why is it so hard to gain entry to live in Australia when you live in the UK. We have lots of relatives in OZ with out mother who is ill over there, but because she lives with her husband who has just got over cancer and because ten miles away my mothers step daughter who she does not get on with lives with her family, we are being told that we cannot go over and stay and look after her.

But it seems so easy for people coming from OZ to stay in the UK, it seems very unfair and I feel that either they should relax the laws for UK people or in the UK we should make it just as hard for people wanting to come here to live from OZ
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:53 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia

Originally Posted by cheapflightsgatwick
Why is it so hard to gain entry to live in Australia when you live in the UK. We have lots of relatives in OZ with out mother who is ill over there, but because she lives with her husband who has just got over cancer and because ten miles away my mothers step daughter who she does not get on with lives with her family, we are being told that we cannot go over and stay and look after her.

But it seems so easy for people coming from OZ to stay in the UK, it seems very unfair and I feel that either they should relax the laws for UK people or in the UK we should make it just as hard for people wanting to come here to live from OZ
Sorry to hear about your mother being ill. I think you will find there are criteria in place for migrants from Aus to UK and vice versa that must be fulfilled before you can live in either country. It's not easy to move from one country to the other and you have to meet the visa requirements. Maybe you could look into short term holiday visa if it's to look after your mum? Good luck mate
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:57 pm
Banned

cheapflightsgatwick is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that. My mother would need long term care as she is now 75 years of age and is not well. In our area we have lots of people who have come from OZ to work here which includes in our local leisure centre as a receptionist and we have people working in shops etc.

It just seems to me that it is much easier to come and live here than it is to move over there
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

While I'm sympathetic to people who have families split across differen countries, I don't see why people from the UK should be allowed into Aus any easier than people from any other country. Why should the Brits be special?
Its not that easy as an Aussie to get a visa to emigrate to the UK either, whatever the newspapers may tell you.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that. My mother would need long term care as she is now 75 years of age and is not well. In our area we have lots of people who have come from OZ to work here which includes in our local leisure centre as a receptionist and we have people working in shops etc.

It just seems to me that it is much easier to come and live here than it is to move over there
Australians you see working over there may be on 2 year working holiday visas. And it's just as easy for Brits to get the equivalent visa in Australia...albeit the UK offers much more attractive visa conditions. Other Australians can easily move to the UK because they have UK ancestry...and again similar applies in the opposite direction.

For anyone where none of these apply I reckon it's just as easy / hard to get into either country.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:13 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have any idea how someone got to live in UK then it's all guesswork mate.

Is your mum a UK resident? Can she come live in UK so you can look after her as opposed to you moving over to Aus?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

First off, it is NOT easier for Australians to go to UK to live/work than it is the other way around. A visa must be applied for and criteria must be met before a working visa will be issued. In our area we have lots of people who have come from UK to work which includes our local hospitals, shops, pubs, etc. Have you ever looked into what the requirements are to move to UK as a non EU citizen? No? Well, I have and it's not easy.

Second, there are carers' visas available if you and the peson needing care qualify. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/carer/116/
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:16 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Its impossible these days to aquire a UK working permit and its getting harder.

Have you been to Australia? We have many brits here as well!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:22 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Education: 30 points for a UK equivalent Bachelors Degree.
Past Earnings: $85 000AUD You have earned 30 points for your past earnings.
You have scored a total of 80 points. Success

That's the absolute minimum entry for UK Tier 1. Also there is a limit of how many visas are issued as well.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Education: 30 points for a UK equivalent Bachelors Degree.
Past Earnings: $85 000AUD You have earned 30 points for your past earnings.
You have scored a total of 80 points. Success

That's the absolute minimum entry for UK Tier 1. Also there is a limit of how many visas are issued as well.
That seems a lot easier than getting an Australian visa? What kind of visa is that for.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That seems a lot easier than getting an Australian visa?
Not really. I plugged in the details for a 33 year old IT grad (10 years ago) earning upto GBP65k from Australia with no previous UK experience and scored 75 - 80 points required for Tier 1 Highly Skilled.

The next tier requires a sponsor.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not really. I plugged in the details for a 33 year old IT grad (10 years ago) earning upto GBP65k from Australia with no previous UK experience and scored 75 - 80 points required for Tier 1 Highly Skilled.

The next tier requires a sponsor.
Well it sounded easy based on the criteria Weebie posted. Degree, slightly above average salary, under 30 and bingo. Is it the age that does it? Perhaps UK is biased agianst over 30's. Australian process has got a lot harder for over 30's too and definitely over 35's.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:35 am
Banned

Ridiculous,

Once you hit over 30 you salary must be over 105k, Once you hit 35 plus yo need 125k Australian. Once you hit 40 unless you have a PHD or an MBA from Melbourne Business School or Australian Graduate School of Management you can't get in.

Most people on this forum wouldn't qualify for a visa in the UK.