Reload this Page >

Moving to Adelaide in July

Moving to Adelaide in July

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:02 am
Just Joined

laetitia1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Adelaide in July

Hello all,

I am following your post for now two months and it is now official we will move in July in Adelaide?

I have plenty of question as we have two kids 8 and 4, what are the best school? where is teh ebst neighbourhood? My husband will be moving first and we will come a month later when school is finished in Uk, we are french.

We did move a lot every 5 years now but never moved that far so i do not know if I should sell the curtains or other things that I have no clue if needed?

I have very concerned by my 2 cats of 12 years old buit I will check the ambassy this month as rules changes so often

Let me know if you have some tips.

thanks

Laeti
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Adelaide in July

Hi be happy to help you with info, however you have to be a little more specific on areas, adelaide is around 85k in length from north to south and about 50k's east to west. Where will you work? Do you want to live in the city? by the beach? north, south, budget? etc they will all have a major impact on advice.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Hello,

thanks for your quick reply, my husband will be working in Kent Town. He will first tried to find mid july for a month in a room furnished and then we will have to find a house or flat( rather a house ) for around 3000 AUS with 2 bedroom sor more. Regarding the location it will depend on good school. I would like to be in an area where the school is good and when there are a little facilities as i will not be working in the first instance until the kids are settled to school. I just do not know if they will be accpeted in a school mid year or if they woudl stay until the next entry in January 2013? a lot of questions??

We have never been there so we are trying to get as much info as we can.

priorities is definitevely school range

See you soon

laeti
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

If your husband will be working in Kent Town you may consider St. George Apartments on George Street in Norwood to start with. These are furnished, close to shops and Norwood Parade. He can walk to work in Kent Town from there or take the bus 2-3 stops.

Perfect place to start, we have done this for 4 or 5 weeks until we have found house to rent.

Eastern Suburbs (East and South of Kent Town) are one of the better parts of the city with very good public (Norwood Moarliata, Maryatville, Magill, Burnside) and private schools (Pembroke, St. Peters and many more).
If your budget is 3000$ per month you will find a very nice house to rent.

There are great suburbs in that area, Norwood, Kensington (plain Kensington, Kensington Park, Kensington Gardens etc), Erindale, Hazelwood Park, some of the suburbs at the Eastern end of Parade or Kensington Road (Stonyfell, Wattle Park, Auldana) are on the "foothills" so you can get a great view, live at the edge of bush and sitll be 10km from CBD.

Local parks have great play areas, there is a very good pool with swimming lessons.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Agree with all above good advice
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

hello guys,

Thnaks for the advice, I will have a look on prices. The things I do not know if we will try to rent nearer the beach, I do not imagine how far it is from kent town, yet? Any website you advise? Can my husband arrive there and expect to find a room in a day for a month or it is unlikely?

also can we open a bank account while we are in uk or do we have to do on arrival?

I just try to see if we will go for local school or private school.

How can I i contact the school , do you have like a council in uk where you register them in Adeliade so should I go to the school on arrival?

My son just turn 4 and if I understood well, school is mandatory at 6, do they still have school before as he is used to and he willfind hard not to see any children on arrival.

thanks

laeti
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by laetitia1974
hello guys,

Thnaks for the advice, I will have a look on prices. The things I do not know if we will try to rent nearer the beach, I do not imagine how far it is from kent town, yet? Any website you advise? Can my husband arrive there and expect to find a room in a day for a month or it is unlikely?
Short term furnished rentals like one I have mentioned above (not the only one either) you can book online/fax like any hotel accomodation.

also can we open a bank account while we are in uk or do we have to do on arrival?
On arrival.

How can I i contact the school , do you have like a council in uk where you register them in Adeliade so should I go to the school on arrival?
My son just turn 4 and if I understood well, school is mandatory at 6, do they still have school before as he is used to and he willfind hard not to see any children on arrival.
thanks
laeti
Search school by suburb.
Check their catchment area (if you live in catchment area of state school they must take your kids).

Private schools have waiting lists (used to be years), checks etc.

If you consider private I would suggest Pembroke.
http://www.pembroke.sa.edu.au/
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:52 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

hello guys,

thanks

laeti
You can open a bank account from the UK in preperation for your arrival. I've used NAB and I can pay into the account before arrival. 2 weeks before contact the nominated banker to arrange a meeting. Turn up as arranged with passports and they'll issue bank crads and the account will be activated for withdrawals.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:44 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
Hi be happy to help you with info, however you have to be a little more specific on areas, adelaide is around 85k in length from north to south and about 50k's east to west. Where will you work? Do you want to live in the city? by the beach? north, south, budget? etc they will all have a major impact on advice.
Really? You must be the only person I have come across who thinks that Mount Barker is part of Adelaide! And 85km takes you from Gawler to Myponga, which again most people don't consider parts of Adelaide.

What most people think of as 'Adelaide' is about 48km N-S and (at most) 25km E-W i.e. the area west of the Mount Lofty Ranges.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Really? You must be the only person I have come across who thinks that Mount Barker is part of Adelaide! And 85km takes you from Gawler to Myponga, which again most people don't consider parts of Adelaide.

What most people think of as 'Adelaide' is about 48km N-S and (at most) 25km E-W i.e. the area west of the Mount Lofty Ranges.
My calculations were using Gawler- Aldinga
Glenelg to Hahndof
Using Google Maps.
I was basing on what could be at a stretch commutable, and gawler is really now in the northern urban spread only 15k's from Elizabeth so yeah i would count it.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

My OH commutes on the bus daily from Mount Barker to the CBD
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:37 am
Banned

AdamBorzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Adelaide in July

Hi All,

Good advices guys

For laetitia1974,

Don’t worry. There are lots of friendly people in Adelaide particularly in Kent Town and is known as one of the great study destination in Australia – offering a secure environment, quiet and safe for students.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:35 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
My OH commutes on the bus daily from Mount Barker to the CBD
I used to work with a guy who commuted from Victor Harbour, but no-one would include Victor into Adelaide on that basis.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I used to work with a guy who commuted from Victor Harbour, but no-one would include Victor into Adelaide on that basis.
True. Not disputing that Mt B is out of Adelaide, just pointing out that commutable distance doesn't end at Hahndorf!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 6:50 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Hi Laetitia,
Children start kindy (pre school) at 4 here.
They do up to 5 sessions a week,usually morning or afternoon,although there are some kindys that allow you to do a full day.My son did three mornings and one full day.
Currently children start primary school the term after they turn 5,so we have four intakes per year at the start of each term.
This will be changing,either next year or 2013 (can't remember,sorry)when children will start reception at the beginning of the school year if they are 5,or turning 5 in May of that year.
The school year starts at the end of January/beginning of February.

Last edited by gjs; Apr 27th 2012 at 6:51 am. Reason: sp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.