Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Adelaide

Moving to Adelaide

Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

sarisburysleuth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Adelaide

After months and months of research, we have finally decided that we are going to move to Adelaide!

We would be grateful for any advice re nice areas to live which are not too far from the women and childrens hospital.

Also, any advice re schools would be really helpful. Our children are 8 and 3.5.

Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:37 pm
Banned

mighty-mate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Adelaide

Hi! Maybe a bit off topic of your post, but can you please share your reasons to choose Adelaide?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

sarisburysleuth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mighty-mate
Hi! Maybe a bit off topic of your post, but can you please share your reasons to choose Adelaide?
Hi, From what we have learnt about the area the climate, job opportunities in engineering and nursing, good schools and reasonable house prices meet our requirements.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth
After months and months of research, we have finally decided that we are going to move to Adelaide!

We would be grateful for any advice re nice areas to live which are not too far from the women and childrens hospital.

Also, any advice re schools would be really helpful. Our children are 8 and 3.5.

WCH is pretty much central. You're going to have to give us a little more information on what you're looking for. Do you have children? How will you commute (bus, car, walk, bike), do you want hills or water, urban or suburbs? Are you going to buy or rent? House or villa or unit?

If it were me and I had shedloads of money I would live in North Adelaide, although being on a flight path may put some people off. It never really bothered us much when we lived in Klemzig, though.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth
Hi, From what we have learnt about the area the climate, job opportunities in engineering and nursing, good schools and reasonable house prices meet our requirements.

When local wages are considered I think Adelaide has the least affordable housing in the country now.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by calliope
When local wages are considered I think Adelaide has the least affordable housing in the country now.
Really? Have you any information to back up the claim, or is it just a random comment thrown out there?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Moving to Adelaide

Originally Posted by calliope
Evidence? In my experience the reverse is true.

ADELAIDE'S reputation as Australia's most affordable capital city has been enhanced by new research showing our cost of housing and food is the lowest in the nation.

Research by the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling shows Adelaide has overtaken Hobart in terms of affordability.

Using Sydney prices as a baseline measure, the report shows that Adelaide is 6.81 per cent cheaper overall.

While we pay less, we also earn less however, with average weekly earnings in SA 10.1 per cent lower than in Sydney, and significantly less than in Western Australia and the ACT.

"Adelaide has moved to the most affordable city in Australia, overtaking Hobart," the report says.

Australian Institute of Social Research executive director Dr John Spoehr said South Australians were better off despite earning less than our interstate counterparts.

"South Australia has always had an advantage over the other states in terms of a lower cost of living and this has been driven by lower housing costs," he said.
(Source).

The article is from 2011, but not much has changed since then (as you'd expect in South Australia! ) I reckon Adelaide is highly affordable thanks to an excellent balance between wages and cost of housing.