Reload this Page >

moving to adelaide

moving to adelaide

Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

gouldie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to adelaide

Originally Posted by Hills Boy
As has been said, it's a big area to cover. We live in a small village about 40km out from the centre of Adelaide. As you'll probably know, it looks like people either love or hate 'Adelaide'. It just depends what you are after.

Houses: It really depends on what you want and your budget - you can get some houses in the mid/high $200ks or blow several $m on a country estate. If you have some areas in mind then feel free to PM me - we drove all over this part of the hills house hunting over the last three months.

Schools: Don't have school age kids and so we didn't have to consider schools, so can't help with that one.

Jobs: Depends on what line of work you're looking for and what your current commute to work is. From where I live I can get parked up in the centre of Adelaide within 45/60 mins of leaving my house, depending on the time of day.
hello hill boy, i travel about 1 hour each way to work, my job is a groundworker in england iam coming to oz as a drainer on housing developments hopefully. we have about $250.000 to put down on a house.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weasy
Yep, that's us - we love it here. We live in Bridgewater which is considerably cheaper than Stirling and there are other affordable areas. The schools around here (Bridgewater, Aldgate, Crafers, Stirling etc) are all good primaries and Heathfield High (our local state high school) has a decent reputation. Jobs wise the CBD is about 25 mins as others have said but my hubby works in Marion so drives across country for about 30 mins.

Hope this helps if this is the bit of the hills you mean.

BTW we are on a PR visa also and chose Adelaide and love it here and, as it's not actually what the OP was asking about, I can't see why people are questioning that decision.

Lou
xx
hi there it looks like you love it there by the picture, as i have said we dont know what area we want to live in but all this information is helping us thanks
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gouldie
hi wendy we dont know what area we wont to live in we havent been to oz yet till next year. I would like to live some were that is quite but not to far to travel for work [hoping i find some] and shops for the wife,and of course school for my kids.

Lots of lovely places that will fit your criteria here. Your deposit is pretty good, obviously it depends where you want to live, what type of house you want, and how much mortgage you want to go to but I bought my house for less than your deposit last April (needs lots of TLC though )

Plenty of work for builders if you look around. A lot aren't advertised but the work is there.

Have you looked at the licencing procedure? If you need any help with that let me know and I'll take a look
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Lots of lovely places that will fit your criteria here. Your deposit is pretty good, obviously it depends where you want to live, what type of house you want, and how much mortgage you want to go to but I bought my house for less than your deposit last April (needs lots of TLC though )

Plenty of work for builders if you look around. A lot aren't advertised but the work is there.

Have you looked at the licencing procedure? If you need any help with that let me know and I'll take a look
hi wendy,we want something that we can do up ourselves, so we can get a property abit cheaper.Three bedroom, with as little morgage as possible. you mentioned licencing what does this involve, as i have only ever been on the books back here in cold wet england, if you could take a look i would be gratefull.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gouldie
hi wendy,we want something that we can do up ourselves, so we can get a property abit cheaper.Three bedroom, with as little morgage as possible. you mentioned licencing what does this involve, as i have only ever been on the books back here in cold wet england, if you could take a look i would be gratefull.

Lots and lots of older properties about, mostly in the older suburbs. Ours was a 'do up' one, and we got it for $237k - it's value has gone up to around $280 - $300k in the past 8 months though as property prices in SA are going up pretty fast. That's without any major things being done (or finished shoud I say ) yet.

Licencing info is all here: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/...ers/index.html It's not as daunting as it looks
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Gouldie -

We live in the hills to the south of the city - in what some might consider the more 'suburban end'. We are about 20 minutes off peak - 40 mins (ish) peak from the city - the train takes about 30 minis.

About 10 - 15 minutes from Marion shopping centre (biggest in the state - I believe) - 15 - 20 minutes from the beach at Seacliff / Brighton.

Houses in general mostly start around the low to mid 300s and move upwards. There are lots of different options - older houses on bigger blocks - lots of doer uppers if you can face it, all the way to brand new houses on laid out estates, generally with smaller plot sizes or the occasional subdivision and build - although the local councils are fazing this out to maintain the area's character. To larger acreages for hobby farmers and animals.

Schools around here (IMO) are very good, all of our local schools are part of a cluster group who work together to provide similar curriculums and follow the IB program - there is also a choice of private and church schools. Being close-ish to the city also means extra choice their too.

Much industrial / factory work is based in the North of the city so if that is relevant to you it can mean a daily commute of an hour or more, which is one of the major downsides of the area.

We love where we live - it feels like a small rural community with the added bonus of great facilities and amenities within easy reach!

Just another concern with moving to this area - it is a high bush fire risk area (but that applies to much of the hills area) - the houses are built in a valley and it is highly wooded, but then that is what we love about it here!

Hope that is some help -

Nikki
xx
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gouldie,

I lived in Adelaide for over 2 years, and in October moved to the Gold Coast.

Both areas are VERY different.

Adelaide is much much quieter, people very friendly and has a small town feel about it. There is some new building far south and far north of the city. The weather gets cold in the winter, and can get very hot in the summer. Houses are generally cheaper than most areas, but prices are rising monthly.

The Gold Coast is much more transient. The beaches are beautiful as is the Hinterland (mountains). There is always plenty to do. On the plus side the main industry here is the building trade. There is new building almost every where, it is the fastest growing part of Australia and they are crying out for all forms of tradespeople. On the negative side the house prices are more expensive here - though I find they are on a par with the nicer parts of Adelaide.

I would strongly recommend you visit any areas that you are keen to live in before you move lock stock and barrel. Adelaide's suburbs vary hugely between North, and South, Hills or beach.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want any more info, and I'll do my best.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mysnix
Hi Gouldie -

We live in the hills to the south of the city - in what some might consider the more 'suburban end'. We are about 20 minutes off peak - 40 mins (ish) peak from the city - the train takes about 30 minis.

About 10 - 15 minutes from Marion shopping centre (biggest in the state - I believe) - 15 - 20 minutes from the beach at Seacliff / Brighton.

Houses in general mostly start around the low to mid 300s and move upwards. There are lots of different options - older houses on bigger blocks - lots of doer uppers if you can face it, all the way to brand new houses on laid out estates, generally with smaller plot sizes or the occasional subdivision and build - although the local councils are fazing this out to maintain the area's character. To larger acreages for hobby farmers and animals.

Schools around here (IMO) are very good, all of our local schools are part of a cluster group who work together to provide similar curriculums and follow the IB program - there is also a choice of private and church schools. Being close-ish to the city also means extra choice their too.

Much industrial / factory work is based in the North of the city so if that is relevant to you it can mean a daily commute of an hour or more, which is one of the major downsides of the area.

We love where we live - it feels like a small rural community with the added bonus of great facilities and amenities within easy reach!

Just another concern with moving to this area - it is a high bush fire risk area (but that applies to much of the hills area) - the houses are built in a valley and it is highly wooded, but then that is what we love about it here!

Hope that is some help -

Nikki
xx
cheers nikki, lots of good info thanks, sounds beautifull were you live, sort of
place we would like, but we will have to see.

p.s.have a good new year mark