Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to Cairns???

Move to Cairns???

Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

angiebourne81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Cairns???

To any Cairns people reading this thread, hello & can you help!

I am a nurse & my OH a paramedic currently living in SA (both from UK).

Have been thinking of making the move to Cairns & the more I look into it the more I love it! Hopefully will do a bit of a reccie this year at some point to check it out.

Anyway, I was just wondering if nursing & paramedic jobs are hard to get there?

Have been reading some threads regarding Cairns & jobs etc and was going to PM Sally (hello, if you're reading this!!) but as this is only my second post it won't let me

Cheers
Angela
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:49 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Cairns???

Originally Posted by angiebourne81
To any Cairns people reading this thread, hello & can you help!

I am a nurse & my OH a paramedic currently living in SA (both from UK).

Have been thinking of making the move to Cairns & the more I look into it the more I love it! Hopefully will do a bit of a reccie this year at some point to check it out.

Anyway, I was just wondering if nursing & paramedic jobs are hard to get there?

Have been reading some threads regarding Cairns & jobs etc and was going to PM Sally (hello, if you're reading this!!) but as this is only my second post it won't let me

Cheers
Angela
have a look here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Angela!
You need to make one more post to pm!

I could pm you the e-mail addy for nurse recruitment if you make another post. Not sure what the current situation is like but the population of Cairns is fairly transient so it changes constantly.

Worth making a trip up here if you can before you decide though & possibly meet with HR etc
What specialty are you in?

Do you have any specific questions?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Hello Angela!
You need to make one more post to pm!

I could pm you the e-mail addy for nurse recruitment if you make another post. Not sure what the current situation is like but the population of Cairns is fairly transient so it changes constantly.

Worth making a trip up here if you can before you decide though & possibly meet with HR etc
What specialty are you in?

Do you have any specific questions?
Hi Sally - Glad you read my post!!

I worked in cardiac ICU in UK, then Emergency at the Royal Adelaide & currently in a country town working at a private hospital with aged care, acute & emergency.
Only problem is I emailed QAS regarding paramedic jobs & they said all of north queensland was at capacity so not quite sure what my OH would do!!!!
We are hoping to make the trip up there in Feb this year as we figured it would be a good idea to see cairns in it's 'wet & cyclone' season before we make a decision.
Do you work at the Base hospital - what speciality are you?
Will try and make one more post.....hmmm

Thanks for reply
Angela
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally - Glad you read my post!!

I worked in cardiac ICU in UK, then Emergency at the Royal Adelaide & currently in a country town working at a private hospital with aged care, acute & emergency.
Only problem is I emailed QAS regarding paramedic jobs & they said all of north queensland was at capacity so not quite sure what my OH would do!!!!
We are hoping to make the trip up there in Feb this year as we figured it would be a good idea to see cairns in it's 'wet & cyclone' season before we make a decision.
Do you work at the Base hospital - what speciality are you?
Will try and make one more post.....hmmm

Thanks for reply
Angela
You are up to 3 now Angela....I'll pm you!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Angela,
I am a UK Paramedic due to leave UK and work for Queensland Ambulance. I did a reccie to Cairns last year and liked it. Unfortunately they could not offer me a position in that area because it is a popular location and they are at full capacity. Took a position in south east but your other half should have no problem securing a position somewhere. contact me if you want any info.
gary
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garyp
Hi Angela,
I am a UK Paramedic due to leave UK and work for Queensland Ambulance. I did a reccie to Cairns last year and liked it. Unfortunately they could not offer me a position in that area because it is a popular location and they are at full capacity. Took a position in south east but your other half should have no problem securing a position somewhere. contact me if you want any info.
gary
Hi Gary,

Thanks for reply. Where abouts will you be working then? By south east do you mean around Brisbane area? Glad to hear you liked Cairns though on your reccie - especially coming from UK!! Weather must have been a drastic change.

All the best for your move to Oz - you'll love it!!!

Cheers, Angela
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Gary,

Thanks for reply. Where abouts will you be working then? By south east do you mean around Brisbane area? Glad to hear you liked Cairns though on your reccie - especially coming from UK!! Weather must have been a drastic change.

All the best for your move to Oz - you'll love it!!!

Cheers, Angela
Working out of beenleigh area and living somewhere between brisbane and gold coast. I went to Cairns last july in their winter so it was bearable.still better than uk summer reached 28. not sure if i could manage summer and cyclone season. would have to live it to find out.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by garyp
Working out of beenleigh area and living somewhere between brisbane and gold coast. I went to Cairns last july in their winter so it was bearable.still better than uk summer reached 28. not sure if i could manage summer and cyclone season. would have to live it to find out.
It's bearable
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
It's bearable
How did I know that would be your reply LOL
Old Jan 17th 2010, 11:04 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of health industry jobs advertised every week.
Remember there are organisations and operators outside of the state hospital.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
There are a lot of health industry jobs advertised every week.
Remember there are organisations and operators outside of the state hospital.
Thanks Bix,

Where are the jobs advertised? So I know where to start looking

Cheers
Angela
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bix,

Where are the jobs advertised? So I know where to start looking

Cheers
Angela
Byron is a good one for a summary
http://employment.byron.com.au/searc...5&word1=cairns