Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mountain bikes as baggage ?

Mountain bikes as baggage ?

Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:13 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mountain bikes as baggage ?

Has anyone taken bikes as baggage on Singapore Airlines ?

I was hoping to take my kids 2 small mountain bikes as part of our allowance.

Of course they would be spotlessly clean and suitable for inspection by quarantine officers.

Any suggestions ?
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mountain bikes as baggage ?

Originally posted by irishmolly
Has anyone taken bikes as baggage on Singapore Airlines ?

I was hoping to take my kids 2 small mountain bikes as part of our allowance.

Of course they would be spotlessly clean and suitable for inspection by quarantine officers.

Any suggestions ?
Hi Molly
yes, took 2 bikes (adult) on Malaysia Airlines. All was fine - had to disinfect them ,etc. Got cardboard bike boxes from the local bike shop, stuffed in things like helmets, etc to fill the gaps (helmets are law in Oz). Phoned the airline a couple of weeks beforehand to confirm it would be OK to take them and they said yes. Only prob was at Adelaide....couldn't get all our luggage & bikes in a taxi...had to wait an hour for a minibus...at 5am in the pouring rain and icy cold winter wind!!!
Good luck
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:47 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mountain bikes as baggage ?

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Got cardboard bike boxes from the local bike shop, stuffed in things like helmets, etc to fill the gaps
Great suggestion !

I'll call past the local bike shop tomorrow and get a couple of cardboard bike boxes and do as you suggest.

At least the kids can ride the bikes immediately after we arrive rather than waiting for them to arrive with our shipping.

Thanks