Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mount Martha, Mount Eliza or Torquay??

Mount Martha, Mount Eliza or Torquay??

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:14 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future
Default Mount Martha, Mount Eliza or Torquay??

We had decided Torquay was definately the place for us, now wondering if Mount Martha or Mount Eliza would be equally as good. We did like Mount Martha and Eliza when we visited, but Torquay beach swung the decision. Now looking at it realistically, we cant base a move on the beach alone.

Has anyone got any comments, good or bad about any of the above. Really want to make the right choice for my kids sake as we will have no relies or friends when we arrive. Billy No Mates !

Thanks.

Jo
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:18 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mount Martha, Mount Eliza or Torquay??

Originally Posted by Joanne
We had decided Torquay was definately the place for us, now wondering if Mount Martha or Mount Eliza would be equally as good. We did like Mount Martha and Eliza when we visited, but Torquay beach swung the decision. Now looking at it realistically, we cant base a move on the beach alone.

Has anyone got any comments, good or bad about any of the above. Really want to make the right choice for my kids sake as we will have no relies or friends when we arrive. Billy No Mates !

Thanks.

Jo
Well certainly more Ex pats around the Mornington / Mt Eliza area. All great areas though & really only you can decide.

How helpful am I today.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:22 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bordy
Well certainly more Ex pats around the Mornington / Mt Eliza area. All great areas though & really only you can decide.

How helpful am I today.
Cheers Bordy, I think!!!

I know its a personal choice, and Im no good at making decisions, even choosing a handbag will take me 4 hours!!

Jo
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:39 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi, we live on the Mornington peninsula and one of the things that we love is that you can choose the type of beach you want within a 30-40 minute drive. The bay beaches are really safe (small waves, small tide and gentle slopes) and are fantastic for kids. The ocean side beaches have huge waves and are fantastic for surfing or anything else that requires big strong waves. Then there are the Westernport beaches which are somewhere in between; good for surf novices and body-boarding children.

We haven't been to Torquay yet, so I can't give a direct comparison.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:58 am
Mount Eliza

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hi, we live on the Mornington peninsula and one of the things that we love is that you can choose the type of beach you want within a 30-40 minute drive. The bay beaches are really safe (small waves, small tide and gentle slopes) and are fantastic for kids. The ocean side beaches have huge waves and are fantastic for surfing or anything else that requires big strong waves. Then there are the Westernport beaches which are somewhere in between; good for surf novices and body-boarding children.

We haven't been to Torquay yet, so I can't give a direct comparison.

Cheers
Alistair
Thanks for info Alistair. My son desperately wants to learn to surf, so the Western port beaches sound ideal for him.

Jo
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:04 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Thanks for info Alistair. My son desperately wants to learn to surf, so the Western port beaches sound ideal for him.

Jo
A friend of ours is learning to surf at a surf school in Point Leo (Melways page 257). Seems to be a popular place to go.

Regards
A.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:10 am
Mount Eliza

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
A friend of ours is learning to surf at a surf school in Point Leo (Melways page 257). Seems to be a popular place to go.

Regards
A.
Havent got a Melway, but got one similiar, so will check it out, that would make Dan's day, if I could sort that out for him.

thanks, Jo
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Joanne]We had decided Torquay was definately the place for us, now wondering if Mount Martha or Mount Eliza would be equally as good. We did like Mount Martha and Eliza when we visited, but Torquay beach swung the decision. Now looking at it realistically, we cant base a move on the beach alone.

Thanks.

Hi We are looking at the same area, my Sister lives in Mount Eliza and we are looking there or Mornington, Frankston South or Mount Martha although this might be a bit far out as I may have to work in Melbourne. If you need any info let us know and I will contact my Sisters.

John & Julie
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:08 pm
Mount Eliza

[QUOTE=jond]

Thanks.

Hi We are looking at the same area, my Sister lives in Mount Eliza and we are looking there or Mornington, Frankston South or Mount Martha although this might be a bit far out as I may have to work in Melbourne. If you need any info let us know and I will contact my Sisters.

John & Julie
You will regret offering to help!! Can you find out what the schools are like, they're seem to be so many in Mount Eliza and Im not sure, at what age they go to what? My kids are 10 (11 on 30th July) and 5 (6 on 21st July), very expensive month for us!! Have been briefly looking at The Peninsula School, but not sure how affordable this will be long term, so will look at state schools as well.

Also whats Frankston like for shopping? We didnt venture that far on our reccie, only got up as far as Mount Eliza.

Beaches, didnt see Mount Eliza beach, is it any good, safe for kids to swim etc, etc?

Huge, huge thanks in advance. Sending you karma for your trouble!

Jo
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Joanne]
Originally Posted by jond

You will regret offering to help!! Can you find out what the schools are like, they're seem to be so many in Mount Eliza and Im not sure, at what age they go to what? My kids are 10 (11 on 30th July) and 5 (6 on 21st July), very expensive month for us!! Have been briefly looking at The Peninsula School, but not sure how affordable this will be long term, so will look at state schools as well.

Also whats Frankston like for shopping? We didnt venture that far on our reccie, only got up as far as Mount Eliza.

Beaches, didnt see Mount Eliza beach, is it any good, safe for kids to swim etc, etc?

Huge, huge thanks in advance. Sending you karma for your trouble!

Jo
Hi

We live in Mount Eliza, me hubby and 3 children 13, 11 and 8. We really love it. Very green and lovely safe beaches for the kids to play on, which very rarely get more than a few people on.

All the schools are good, our children are at state schools in the area, which we are really pleased with and they have all settled down well, with great support from the teachers and schools.

Frankston and Mornington are great for shopping, plus we have everything you need in the village centre, including 2 supermarkets.

If you need any more info let me know. Good luck.

Caz