Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle help!!!

Motorcycle help!!!

Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Graham67 is on a distinguished road
Default Motorcycle help!!!

Planning to take my motorbike in my 20ft. Have been getting quotes from various shippers. All was going well until the topic of duty/sales tax can up. According to one rep I will have to pay 60% duty on whatever cost they feel my bike is worth in Oz. It states clearly in their brochure that "motorcycles/scooters being imported by first time immigrants are free of duty/sales tax" Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome. Many thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:48 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle help!!!

Originally Posted by Graham67
Planning to take my motorbike in my 20ft. Have been getting quotes from various shippers. All was going well until the topic of duty/sales tax can up. According to one rep I will have to pay 60% duty on whatever cost they feel my bike is worth in Oz. It states clearly in their brochure that "motorcycles/scooters being imported by first time immigrants are free of duty/sales tax" Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome. Many thanks.
I think it depends on the age of the bike - over 1 year old no duty - but <1 year you pay. I do stress 'Think'
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:19 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

They are talking total crap basically. I imported my bike and you do have to pay some tax, quarantine fees etc. If you were to put aside AU$1000 then I think you wouldnt go far wrong on a bike worth about GBP6,000 in total. I can't remember the breakdown of my bill but it came to just over the thousand bucks.

However you must have owned the bike for over 12 months personally in the UK and provide evidence of this (insurance, registration docs etc).
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:23 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Try this website - it's what I was looking at when I thought about bringing a couple over.

http://www.excess-baggage.com/car_sh..._australia.php
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:36 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

I'm going through the same thing. I'm taking 3 with me.

Take a look at this site. http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.aspx#5.02

Basially you are going to have to pay, but bikes do get a better deal than a car, older than 1998 helps with depreciation. You need to get a license to import at least 17 days before, and you need to be able to proove ownership for over a year. I'm in trouble, because one of mine I imported from Italy, never bothered registering it because it is being restored.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to all will do a little more homework around costs before making a decision.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:08 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks to all will do a little more homework around costs before making a decision.
Hi just to let you know of our experience- we imported our Triumph Daytona into oz july last year and what we did was get the import documents from canberra- $50 -exporters wont take your bike without it, and your logbook or export document from DVLA-they should be able to tell you where you need to apply to (cant remember sorry) Upon bikes arrival in oz you have to get it valued-$100 approx then you pay G.S.T which is 10% of the value that they give you for the bike, then you have to take the bike over the pits to see if it meets thier standards (which shouldnt be difficult!) $100 approx. Then you buy the comformance plate $60 approx which is a gold sticker to stick on the headstock or somewhere it can be seen to indicate its imported and up to standard. Then you pay the rego to get it on the road $240 approx for our 955i. Last thing- dont forget to tell DVLA that you're exporting the bike! This info is applicable to bikes coming into Western Oz its prob slightly different in eastern states. Hope this is helpful
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:25 pm

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi just to let you know of our experience- we imported our Triumph Daytona into oz july last year and what we did was get the import documents from canberra- $50 -exporters wont take your bike without it, and your logbook or export document from DVLA-they should be able to tell you where you need to apply to (cant remember sorry) Upon bikes arrival in oz you have to get it valued-$100 approx then you pay G.S.T which is 10% of the value that they give you for the bike, then you have to take the bike over the pits to see if it meets thier standards (which shouldnt be difficult!) $100 approx. Then you buy the comformance plate $60 approx which is a gold sticker to stick on the headstock or somewhere it can be seen to indicate its imported and up to standard. Then you pay the rego to get it on the road $240 approx for our 955i. Last thing- dont forget to tell DVLA that you're exporting the bike! This info is applicable to bikes coming into Western Oz its prob slightly different in eastern states. Hope this is helpful
This is really useful!

But of course generates a couple of questions...

What year was you Daytona?

Do you have standard exhausts on it (I'm a bit concerned I'm going to get caught out with noise).

Why did you advise about telling DVLA? To stop the road tax, or for some other reason? (I'm thinking that the Cloggy authorities are going to charge me for 2 bikes, and I'd like to avoid that. But it woudl also lead on to some other discussions about why the 3rd one is unregistered, and I think was officially scrapped in Italy)..
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by adriang
Do you have standard exhausts on it (I'm a bit concerned I'm going to get caught out with noise).
I'm planning on taking my 98 red & white R1 when I go in 2 years. It's got a Ti Micron oval slip on on it at the mo, I'm gonna get a std can off ebay for it and fit that and put the micron in with other stuff.
Not sure about other bikes but you can get the std can for an older R1 for peanuts.

Would be interested to know if any other mods would be a problem e.g. aftermarket paintjob?

and also, my bike is SORN at the moment and could remain so until we go so I won't have insurance - can somebody tell me if the log book alone is sufficient as proof of ownership?

would anyone estimate the value and therefore 10% GST payable on my 98 in 2 years time? can't be much can it?

Thanks,

Andy
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the info squeezzii it helps lots and answers my question. Enjoy your biking in Oz.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:49 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Mate talk to nickstids, they are off on the 4th Feb I think so get in quick. They have shipped a bike or two.

Rich
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:42 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by adriang
This is really useful!

But of course generates a couple of questions...

What year was you Daytona?

Why did you advise about telling DVLA? To stop the road tax, or for some other reason? (I'm thinking that the Cloggy authorities are going to charge me for 2 bikes, and I'd like to avoid that. But it woudl also lead on to some other discussions about why the 3rd one is unregistered, and I think was officially scrapped in Italy)..
Hi there, the Daytona is aug 2000- the oz people valued it pretty near what the uk dealer valued it at.The DVLA need to know for a couple of reasons-you must advise them that its going to be exported-with the new logbooks you fill in a little portion and send it off and the old logbooks you have to send the logbook off to them, but the main reason is that if you do export it but return at a later date you are liable for ALL road tax on the bike for the period you have been away however long.because you havent done a SORN
Oh yeah we didnt think they'd appreciate the blue flame system we've got so we stuck the standard one back on for the benefit of the inspection -so far the WA constabulary dont seem to mind the blue flame-either that or they're deaf (no offence people!)
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi there, the Daytona is aug 2000- the oz people valued it pretty near what the uk dealer valued it at.The DVLA need to know for a couple of reasons-you must advise them that its going to be exported-with the new logbooks you fill in a little portion and send it off and the old logbooks you have to send the logbook off to them, but the main reason is that if you do export it but return at a later date you are liable for ALL road tax on the bike for the period you have been away however long.because you havent done a SORN
Oh yeah we didnt think they'd appreciate the blue flame system we've got so we stuck the standard one back on for the benefit of the inspection -so far the WA constabulary dont seem to mind the blue flame-either that or they're deaf (no offence people!)
OK, great info again, thanks a lot.

I'm still trying to determine if I am able to import 3 bikes. I've read the brochure, and it is a bit contradictory.

I've a Ducati that would fall into the personal import category (that has big bore Termi's on it, and it is pretty loud, but it is the deep Ducati sound.).

I've also got a pair of 1960's Lambretta scooters, and I want to bring them both. They should be eligible under the before Jan 1989 scheme, but not sure if I can bring in all 3. I'm still waiting on a reply from the Dept of Transport.

If I had to make a choice, it would be the Duc, but the Lambrettas took ages to find, are both restored, and great for posing around town!
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future

Be very interested to hear the outcome mate.

Planning on taking mine too, only 12 months old, but is it worth it?

Not started getting quotes yet so will watch this thread with interest.

Bill
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:34 pm
Anyone seen my coat???

chopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nice

Has anyone imported a Custom Bike (not Virago,drag star or any of the other tarts handbags).
A proper Hardtail Chop/Custom, with one off everything.
We're hoping to import 2 chops and it seems like a bit of a nightmare.
Been told by a Guy in Bris that deals with imported bikes that it's a pain in the arse but can be done.

Any info greatfully received.

Cheers'en.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.