Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:56 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Anybody out there buying new in NSW? We're thinking of two new R1's end of Jan and the best price is about $18k each. We're doing the haggling via email as it worked for the car (we ended up $7k off list). Best deal seems to be in Paramatta except we're in Port Macquarie so that's a ride up the coast.

Also - what's everyone feel about biking clothes. I think we're resigned to wearing our leathers in winter as I can't see them working in today's heat (30 degrees). Any thoughts?

I found this lot online http://www.mcas.com.au/pw/pages/home.php - does anyone have any personal experience of Draggin jeans - do they have real armour built in to the important bits or it is just kevlar as part of the overall fabric?
I'd give draggin's the OK..but probably cos there is bugger all choice...just dont buy the red camo one's....

Saw some guy with em on the other day and they looked shite...then when he took off his lid and he was 50 if he was a day...what a knob
Attached Thumbnails The Motorbike Thread-camo_molten.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

I thought I might start this and see if I can keep it going!

We have now sold our R1's in the UK and hope to get a couple of new ones at the beginning of 2008. OH wants the black one and I want the red and white one. We're shipping our Crowtrees and AGVs with our household stuff and want a house rental with a garage to keep them secure.

We have noticed that the prices for the accessories which are genuine Yam for example are way higher in Aussie! We are going to buy some Yam crash bungs in the UK before we go and OH has already purchased a tank protector from Motographix, although I won't be so lucky with the red and white version as its got a decal right down the front of the tank so I reckon it will have to be a clear tank pad if I'm to keep the styling on the tank!

Couple of things for you bikers to think about:

1) Is anyone shipping their beloved machines and why?
2) Considering your future Aussie location what are your feelings on wearing leathers?
3) Does anyone know of any good biker cafe's - meet-ups - popular biker haunts?
4) Is anyone planning on a trip down to Philip Island next year?
5) Any Aussies got any tips for haggling the prices of new / used bikes down?

Happy riding where-ever you may be!
Hi
I can empathise with you totally..I have just sold my 2005 black R1 and nearly cried when it went!! have had to sel it to finance getting the dog to Oz.
I will be buying another when I get there. i am heading to Cairns. I have taken my devil underseat pipes off my R1, all the carbon bits and have even bought some heli bar risers to make it a bit more comfy for there. I was gutted that I had to sell bike so quick and leave gel seat on before I could get a cheap standard one off of e bay. i ahve also been looking at Yamaha sites and accesories are more expensive. i wil betaking my leathers across and my lid across on the plane.
Thoughts on leathers. if I am going for a blast I will still wear leather jacket and boots but with textile trousers (padded). if just going to work then jeans and lightweight armoured jacket..i wont be doing the shorts and T shirt brigade as I know most accidents happen at low speed and like my legs!!

Dont know about bartering..I think new bikes seem to be about same price but second hand bikes seem to have a lot more mileage on and are about £500 minimum more than U.K. they do seem tohave some low interest deals on and also some offers where you get accesories thrown in.

have looked at taking bikes but by the time you have paid for crate, extra space in container, registration, and shipping cost it is just too much hassle. You have to pay 10% of value of the bike tax. Then you have the wait..I want a bike as soon as I get there as that may be my only transport initially. Getting my priorities right as you can see!

If I had the money and didn't need to sell bike to finance the move then I may ship it as mine was only 7000 miles on it and immaculate.

I like your avatar. Didn't get time to do a track day on the R1, did some ont he R6 though at Oulton Park in Cheshire. Where are you heading to?

I have e mailed Yamaha dealer in Cairns (where I am heading) and they have been very helpful and said that as I have a signed contract and will ahve a bank account and deposit when I get there that they could finance the rest..sooo tempting to buy new but I will just be looking for a 2006bike. On E Bay Australia there are a couple of great priced 2007 bikes R1's.

Beautiful R1...R.I.P

Liz
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HCJ
Yes, I am completely disregarding my own advice about never, ever shipping bikes and shipping my RC45. It only has 8k miles on it and has lots of HRC parts; I would never be able to find another one as good. I'd like a mint RC30 and RC51 to complete the collection...
If I had an RC45 I would certainly be shipping it too!! Nicebike.
Liz
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matteegee
Thanks GaryVFR8s_Wife. That sounds like a hell of a lot of messing around. I would prefer to sell it here and get something else out there its just that I'm not getting any interest in it.

I think I'll drop the price down and see what happens.

Thanks again for the responses.

Matt
I was hoping mine wouldn't sell so quick so that I could get a few more ride outs before having to part with it! Put it on E Bay and it was sold in lesss than a day..for the price I wanted. i guess black R1's are sought after..had low mileage too. i ahve been looking at new versus used here and there only seems to be about £1000 difference between a 2007/08 and a 2005/6 bike. The used ones seem to have a lot higher mileage than here with some 2004 R1's advertised at over 14,000 dollars with 40,000 kms on. Have seen 2007 late registered ones with no miles on for 15,900!!

same with cars. I fancied a 1998/99 BMW 328i coupe like I have had here..no chance at the second hand prices! Will be spending money on the bike and getting a cheap run around I think!

Anyone heading for Cairns let me know.
Liz
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:05 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tripawaymars

i wil betaking my leathers across and my lid across on the plane.
Thoughts on leathers.

Dont know about bartering..

I like your avatar. Didn't get time to do a track day on the R1, did some ont he R6 though at Oulton Park in Cheshire. Where are you heading to?

Liz

Liz - we are already in Oz - in Port Macquarie which is north coast NSW about half way between Brisbane and Sydney. We sold our R1s (OH had low miles mine had 28,000 on it - bought it new - it was 3 yrs old - loved every INCH of it). We are looking at a new black one for OH and I want the red and white retro one. We def going to buy new as the 2nd hand price is so high might as well start off wit a new one. Hope fully when we come to trade them we'll also get good prices for them but even though people ask high prices - don't know what they actually SELL them for, or how long it takes to sell them. If its like houses here in PMQ they don't get the asking price and it takes them years to sell them (OK - I know we're talking houses not bikes).

We shipped out crowtrees and helmets and stuff in shipping boxes with the rest of the stuff (we didn't bring furniture - just boxes with Freedom Shipping). Would have put them in luggage but 20-40kg (depending on your air line) does not go far and we filled cases up with clothes and essential paperwork, never mind some weighty leathers. They are last week in good shape. We packed the BOOTS at the top as customs like to check footwear. Also - make sure they are spotlessly clean EVERYWHERE - cleaning charges are a rip-off! We knew we would be concentrating on jobs, rental house and buying furniture and stuff to start with and knew we could wait the extra months for biking gear to sort out the best deals etc.

We bought the car while in the UK - simply phoned the dealer and used a UK credit card to pay the $500 deposit (on a $43k car!!!!!). Sure enough it was there when he said it would be and we paid the balance with a NAB bankers cheque. OH has also done loads of research on bike prices and it does pay to haggle. At the moment some of the dealers are throwing in kit (might get some draggins that way). With temps in the 30s here at the moment - not sure how I feel about riding in leathers. Its not the riding that worries me, its the cafe stops with sweat pouring down my back. Also - they're one piece so getting out of them is not the quickest of tasks.

Def looking at draggin AND Fieldsheer as GaryVFR8 suggests and maybe RJays jackets. Need to try some of them on I reckon first to see what sort of fi they are. Been down the road so not into t-shirt and shorts - I like my skin as it is thanks.

When you headin for Cairns?
What is the reason for choosing Cairns?

Went their while on honeymoon in 2005 and it was HOT - but a great gateway to the barrier reef.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:48 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi,
Me and my wife own a few pairs of dragons and they are good, You can buy CE approved armour for them too so they have real protection.
Have a look at this page,http://www.fieldsheer.com/2008site/IE/Mesh.htm I own one of the Mach 7 jackets with a pair of leather trousers and have had no problem in Australia including a advanced riding day which was on the track, But as they zip together like a one piece suit they are ok.
They also do trousers in the Mesh set up not sure what they are like.
Not sure if they have stockist in OZ so might be a thing for people to get before they come over.
Gary
Gary - did you buy this in the UK or in Aussie? If Aussie where as the website is in the US and dealer info just seems to be USA based!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:57 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody out there buying new in NSW? We're thinking of two new R1's end of Jan and the best price is about $18k each. We're doing the haggling via email as it worked for the car (we ended up $7k off list). Best deal seems to be in Paramatta except we're in Port Macquarie so that's a ride up the coast.

Also - what's everyone feel about biking clothes. I think we're resigned to wearing our leathers in winter as I can't see them working in today's heat (30 degrees). Any thoughts?

I found this lot online http://www.mcas.com.au/pw/pages/home.php - does anyone have any personal experience of Draggin jeans - do they have real armour built in to the important bits or it is just kevlar as part of the overall fabric?
buy your kit here there is good mesh stuff with armour
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Anyone heading for Cairns let me know.
Liz
Hey Liz,

Already in Cairns, sold my original red & white R1 in the uk, now have a mint 98 red & white R1 here (got a Y2K gixxer 750 on arrival but best not to speak about that!).

It would have cost a grand to ship the bike over and it wasn't in that good condition anyway. The one I got here is mint and guess what, it was about a grand more expensive with none of the hassle and much better condition.

See pic.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails The Motorbike Thread-1998-r1-oz.jpg  
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cadman
Hey Liz,

Already in Cairns, sold my original red & white R1 in the uk, now have a mint 98 red & white R1 here (got a Y2K gixxer 750 on arrival but best not to speak about that!).

It would have cost a grand to ship the bike over and it wasn't in that good condition anyway. The one I got here is mint and guess what, it was about a grand more expensive with none of the hassle and much better condition.

See pic.

Andy
maybe we can have blast when I get there?
Liz
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Liz,

See pic.

Andy
I see what you mean..that is mint!! I hope to get a 04/05 bike as have all the bits for it here, nice devil exhausts, carbon bits, power commander etc. If can't find decent price second hand may look at new and try to haggle...I will be using bike as main transport so can do that!
Liz
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:34 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ASHO
Im shipping my Harley chopper it's got to be the best place in the world to ride a bike! only been out this year 4or 5 times with this poxy weather over here! I think im looking forward to that more than most other things except for fishing, swiming, jet sking, beach,barbies,snorkling,scuba,cold beer,water sking,sun bathing,own pool, new house...................
If your avatar is your Harley, be very careful. You might have a lot of problems getting it through VIV & Roadworthy.

Search for posts by pommychopper. He brought over his pride and joy which he built himself, and it took nearly a whole year to get the bike on the road.

Have you got a bigger pic BTW, looks smart.

Where are you headed ?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:08 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew
If your avatar is your Harley, be very careful. You might have a lot of problems getting it through VIV & Roadworthy.

Search for posts by pommychopper. He brought over his pride and joy which he built himself, and it took nearly a whole year to get the bike on the road.

Have you got a bigger pic BTW, looks smart.

Where are you headed ?
I heard it might be a bit of a shit to get it through their VIV & roadworthy it has its Harley log book still all ive done is cut the frame a little!!!!!! and a 250 rear end here are the before and after pics

and afterhttp://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/loadedbore/?action=view&current=DSCN1589.jpg
thanks for the interest
Alan
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:14 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Dont think that worked i'll try again
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...xed2005063.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...e/DSCN1589.jpg

i hope i can get it through the VIV this bike has cost me an arm and leg and dont want to sell it.
We are going to WA Port Kennedy way.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ASHO
Dont think that worked i'll try again
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...xed2005063.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...e/DSCN1589.jpg

i hope i can get it through the VIV this bike has cost me an arm and leg and dont want to sell it.
We are going to WA Port Kennedy way.
Gorgeous bike. i would not want to part with it either..it will be worth waiting for if it takes a while to get liscensed.
Liz
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Liz,

See pic.

Andy
Are there any bike clubs/ride outs in the Cairns area
Liz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.