Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Gonna rack up some more kms tomorrow. Gonna try Lake Wivenhoe. Is that a good or bad route?
Wivenhoe is a great ride! From your part of he world you can skimdown to Ipswich through the Mt Crosby road, whizz past he dam and then head up and over Mt Glorious & Mt Nebo back to The Gap - and then over Gap Creek road to get back to Kenmore.. Great half day ride.

World of caution though - Mt Glorious is a haven for police who like nothing better than to stop, and introgate passing bikers. Make sure everythings ship shape and be cautious with the speed. Theres also more than a few corners that seem to collect leaves from the trees and stay wet and slimey even when weather has been good for a while. - Its a rare weekend that doesnt see and ambulance or 2 make the trip up he mountain.

Take care!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Wivenhoe is a great ride! From your part of he world you can skimdown to Ipswich through the Mt Crosby road, whizz past he dam and then head up and over Mt Glorious & Mt Nebo back to The Gap - and then over Gap Creek road to get back to Kenmore.. Great half day ride.

World of caution though - Mt Glorious is a haven for police who like nothing better than to stop, and introgate passing bikers. Make sure everythings ship shape and be cautious with the speed. Theres also more than a few corners that seem to collect leaves from the trees and stay wet and slimey even when weather has been good for a while. - Its a rare weekend that doesnt see and ambulance or 2 make the trip up he mountain.

Take care!
Thanks. Yeah did the trip to MT Glorious and then back down via Samford to fill up, then to The Gap and back to Centenary Highway and back to Kenmore. Very twisty road but nice. Didn't get to Wivenhoe yet, but will do so soon.

I only saw cops the day before on MT. Cootha. Limit is 50 kms and I went past some cops with radar at about 54 kph (on my gps) up the mountian when I saw them. They did nothing.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 25th 2010 at 8:37 am.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:12 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

anyone done or going to do the London/Riga to ullaanbaatar ride?
it looks like a good trip
similar to the long way round. some of our local Ulysses club are going
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:28 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KAR
Hello Bike Gurus,

I always have a glimpse at this thread and now i think i should ride a bike.
Before i could even think of getting a bike, I need to know the how to get the Drivers License.Can any one point let me know any Pre Learners training providers in Sydney city.

By the Way, I was looking at the triumph speedmaster to own, any suggestions??

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks,
KAR
I did learners and final test with http://www.stayupright.com.au/ in Sydney - they have a few different venues.

I found them very good. Good luck!

Graham
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:22 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

B@gger! Quarantine wants $479 for "Steam cleaning of motorbike due to soil contamination". I spent ages steam cleaning it myself before it was shipped

I guess there's nothing I can do but cough up the payment?
Old Dec 24th 2010, 6:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
B@gger! Quarantine wants $479 for "Steam cleaning of motorbike due to soil contamination". I spent ages steam cleaning it myself before it was shipped

Further to this...

Probably a stupid question but does anyone know who inspects and decides that the bike needs steam cleaning? Also, who sets the cost for it to be cleaned and who carries out the cleaning? I'm certain the bike was spotless when it left me so I'm just trying to work out if I'm a victim to some kind of scam
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul,

The breakdown for our car was as follows:-

The cost to land the vehicle by RO/RO is as follows:
Port/Statutory charges $335
AQIS fees $229 Exempt GST
Customs/DEWR/AQIS Clearance $445
Steam clean $345
Local Valuation $325 if required
Delivery ex wharf to mechanic $230
Please add 10% GST to the above.
On my calculations you would pay around A$1600 Duty/GST based on a local valuation.

So $479 seems a tad high.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:49 pm
Banned

Hi Paul,

The breakdown for our car was as follows:-

The cost to land the vehicle by RO/RO is as follows:
Port/Statutory charges $335
AQIS fees $229 Exempt GST
Customs/DEWR/AQIS Clearance $445
Steam clean $345
Local Valuation $325 if required
Delivery ex wharf to mechanic $230
Please add 10% GST to the above.
On my calculations you would pay around A$1600 Duty/GST based on a local valuation.

So $479 seems a tad high.
Thanks for that, S. I've already paid over $400 for the other charges (I don't have the break down with me right now). The bike as far as I was concerned was spotless so I can't understand what they saw which prompted this additional charge. Something doesn't seem right
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that, S. I've already paid over $400 for the other charges (I don't have the break down with me right now). The bike as far as I was concerned was spotless so I can't understand what they saw which prompted this additional charge. Something doesn't seem right
Yep my car was too. They still did it. In fact the guy at the port in Enlgand said they will clean it again no matter.So I wasted over £100 in England getting it done.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:38 pm
Banned

Yep my car was too. They still did it. In fact the guy at the port in Enlgand said they will clean it again no matter.So I wasted over £100 in England getting it done.
From what I can work out it's all done by AQIS.

http://www.movecorp.co.uk/intl/Shipp...Australia.html
(about half way down the page)

I'm not sure why you were charged less than me though.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From what I can work out it's all done by AQIS.

http://www.movecorp.co.uk/intl/Shipp...Australia.html
(about half way down the page)

I'm not sure why you were charged less than me though.
You could phone them and ask them why it is so expensive.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 11:16 pm
Banned

You could phone them and ask them why it is so expensive.
I'll do that next week. Thinking about it it might be more expensive because presumably it'd have to be removed from it's crate and transported to the wash bays on a trailer or something. Your car could easily have been driven in. I'll definately find out and I'll ask for the paperwork too. Hindsight says that I needn't have bothered with cleaning it at all.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:52 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hindsight says that I needn't have bothered with cleaning it at all.
from reading so many posts about importing bikes & cars you are probably not wrong there

I bet you are chomping at the bit to get on the road again.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by furkew
I bet you are chomping at the bit to get on the road again.
Yeah, that'll be the next hurdle
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah, that'll be the next hurdle
You'll need an Ozzie helmet.

If it stops raining, I might go for a bike ride today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.