Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a motorbike that has been in an accident

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Surely with a written off bike you'd be better taking the cash and buying a new bike when you get here?
Yep, I concur. Just buy a new bike here in Oz.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Well one week out of 1 year warranty and it seemed like the battery had died on Wednesday after work.

Parked in Charlotte street (by the Cop shop) which is a one way (uphill) out of Brisbane in the morning. Bike wouldn't start at 5pm after work. Asked a Cop if I could push start my bike downhill against the flow of traffic??? He went inside and came out with a fellow Cop and with help from some local shopkeepers, got it push started first time.

Got home and charged the battery. Tried starting it but she started rough and then cut out. Took the battery to Zuki today and they tested it and said it was fine. So looks like a bike fault.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well one week out of 1 year warranty and it seemed like the battery had died on Wednesday after work.

Parked in Charlotte street (by the Cop shop) which is a one way (uphill) out of Brisbane in the morning. Bike wouldn't start at 5pm after work. Asked a Cop if I could push start my bike downhill against the flow of traffic??? He went inside and came out with a fellow Cop and with help from some local shopkeepers, got it push started first time.

Got home and charged the battery. Tried starting it but she started rough and then cut out. Took the battery to Zuki today and they tested it and said it was fine. So looks like a bike fault.
What a shocking use of our police services, making them sweat like that

the fault is just a single blip
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

As soon as I'm over there I'll be hijacking this thread:sunglasses:
I ride here in Belgium some, but alot on the track, so will be looking for trackday buddies.

Would it be worth bringing a trackbike over with me with plenty of extras (ohlins, WOW, slipper clutch, full exhaust, rearsets, clip-ons, PW5, gear indicator, 525 chain and full set of sprockets) worth £15K
this is a trackbike without V5/ frame numbers, the frame came straight from TKR. Or would I have problems with customs? local police?

Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Started fine this morning and on the way home.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:03 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to find a standard end can off a GSXR1000, must be K1 or K2. Tried all the usual places, Ebay, breakers etc. Only one I could find is in the UK, and they will not ship.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sheene
Trying to find a standard end can off a GSXR1000, must be K1 or K2. Tried all the usual places, Ebay, breakers etc. Only one I could find is in the UK, and they will not ship.
A mate of mine might have one, if interested I'll ask and I'll post it from Belgium.
just let me know.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
A mate of mine might have one, if interested I'll ask and I'll post it from Belgium.
just let me know.
If you could find out that would be fantastic. It should be stamped X40F0X. Looking for it to be in excellent condition which might be difficult given the age. Thank you.

Last edited by sheene; Nov 29th 2011 at 11:56 am.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you could find out that would be fantastic. It should be stamped X40F0X. Looking for it to be in excellent condition which might be difficult given the age. Thank you.
will let you know asap
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want the std can? Akrapovic no good?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Why do you want the std can? Akrapovic no good?
It is for the DR650 - turns out that the GSXR1000 can is the absolute dogs danglies. Beats or equals the performance of all the aftermarket exhausts, sounds quieter (but much better than stock), never needs repacking, fantastic build quality, is lighter (titanium internals), and looks 'stock' so no problems with mr plod. There are even a couple of companies which make the adapter brackets and mid pipe needed - it is that good / popular. The reason for the K1 K2 is that is much smaller than later versions, which are too big to fit under the side panel.

The DR650 is one of the biggest selling bikes in Oz, and is also very popular in America - hence the shortage of the cans in those regions.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

It is for the DR650 - turns out that the GSXR1000 can is the absolute dogs danglies. Beats or equals the performance of all the aftermarket exhausts, sounds quieter (but much better than stock), never needs repacking, fantastic build quality, is lighter (titanium internals), and looks 'stock' so no problems with mr plod. There are even a couple of companies which make the adapter brackets and mid pipe needed - it is that good / popular. The reason for the K1 K2 is that is much smaller than later versions, which are too big to fit under the side panel.

The DR650 is one of the biggest selling bikes in Oz, and is also very popular in America - hence the shortage of the cans in those regions.
Wow, of all the answers I was expecting, it wasn't that I'm in Surrey, is that anywhere close to your end can?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Wow, of all the answers I was expecting, it wasn't that I'm in Surrey, is that anywhere close to your end can?
This was the one who wouldn't ship to Oz - his address is at the bottom. Can you go round there and tell him I am going to ignore him.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190602590...ht_2309wt_1252
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

My mates got one, but it's for a 02 bike( know there the same bikes, but not sure it there were any mods done on the pipe) but it's got a small ding on it.
if you want pics let me know
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Any of you guys seen 'Closer to the Edge'? Thinking about getting it over Xmas (2D). I can take Guy Martin in small doses, not sure if I''l be able to handle a whole film about him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.