Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motor Mechanic or Air Conditioning

Motor Mechanic or Air Conditioning

Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Motor Mechanic or Air Conditioning

I'd appreciate any opinions on this one.

If you was going to Oz to study, and you had 2 possible trades to learn, which way would you go taking wages into account?

I'm thinking about trying the risky route of Student Visa with a view of going for PR after 2 years. I have basic knowledge of both, and am sure would be happy working in both fields, altho if given a 'one or the other' would probably prefer Motor Mechanic.

BUT!!!!! ....... after going through a few posts about Mechanic wages, I'm getting put off as they seem to be very low from what people have said hence just going on the MODL as no one there is touching it.

As I say I'd appreciate any feedback on this one as I am currently very lost ........... again! ...lol
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motor Mechanic or Air Conditioning

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I'd appreciate any opinions on this one.

If you was going to Oz to study, and you had 2 possible trades to learn, which way would you go taking wages into account?

I'm thinking about trying the risky route of Student Visa with a view of going for PR after 2 years. I have basic knowledge of both, and am sure would be happy working in both fields, altho if given a 'one or the other' would probably prefer Motor Mechanic.

BUT!!!!! ....... after going through a few posts about Mechanic wages, I'm getting put off as they seem to be very low from what people have said hence just going on the MODL as no one there is touching it.

As I say I'd appreciate any feedback on this one as I am currently very lost ........... again! ...lol

Hiya,

ste is a refrigeration and air conditioning engineer, any questions you may have, give us a shout.

Wages wise, you could expect to earn between $60,000 and $80,000 depending upon how much overtime / oncall work you do.

Best wishes,
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Motor Mechanic or Air Conditioning

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hiya,

ste is a refrigeration and air conditioning engineer, any questions you may have, give us a shout.

Wages wise, you could expect to earn between $60,000 and $80,000 depending upon how much overtime / oncall work you do.

Best wishes,
Hi steandleigh, thanks for that info

I think I've had my mind made up already though as before reading your reply, I was reading through a few postings about Mechanic's wages and they aint looking too good. One had someone moaning about how wages were in the $15 - $25 ph mark, which wasn't enough for them.

$60 - $80K pa seems more like it to me.

Just to fill you in on my situ, I've been a Bricklayer for years and just had a TRA decline. I was going to change my career even if it was positive once out in Oz, but it looks like my only chance is to go with a Student Visa, hence the question.

I've done a bit of electrical work over the years, and also a bit of plumbing so I was hoping the little knowledge of both I have MIGHT help my with an Air Con course, dunno though really.

Thanks for the offer of more help I'll be back i'm sure ...lol