Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mortgages and Contracting

Mortgages and Contracting

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

John & Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgages and Contracting

We are planning to go to Sydney early next year. What we want to know is, if we get contract jobs, how will this impact us getting a mortgage? Does it? If so what time scales are we looking at before applying for a mortgage? Can anyone advise?
I think we will have approx 25- 30% deposit, does this help in any way?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:32 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mortgages and Contracting

Originally Posted by John & Maggie
We are planning to go to Sydney early next year. What we want to know is, if we get contract jobs, how will this impact us getting a mortgage? Does it? If so what time scales are we looking at before applying for a mortgage? Can anyone advise?
I think we will have approx 25- 30% deposit, does this help in any way?
I would imagine your company books from the UK should be OK, to prove your previous income. In the UK, 3 years of returns are required to secure a mortgage. I guess you'll also need a current contract to show future income though.

TBEB
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tbeb
I would imagine your company books from the UK should be OK, to prove your previous income. In the UK, 3 years of returns are required to secure a mortgage. I guess you'll also need a current contract to show future income though.

TBEB
I can't remember the deposit required but it is possible to get lodoc mortgages - similar to the self certification mortgages over here - it is another option for you to explore

Dave
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

The Lo-doc mortgage would be your best bet as you more or less just say "we can afford to pay" and don't need payslips etc. The one we had we could only borrow 60% and so you may need to stretch your deposit if possible. They're very easy to get and becoming more common and therefore more competitive - however do expect to pay approx 0.5% more in interest. Wizard or Resi are 2 providers I know of.