Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What *is* the dream?

What *is* the dream?

Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default What *is* the dream?

I can't help but see from people's taglines phrases like "saw the dream December '98" or whatever and I just wondered what precisely is "the dream"?

For my part, I don't like the phrase; I associate it with "the American dream" which, for the majority, turns out to be a myth.

I don't go much for dreams either; my goals are more prosaic.

I also think that you're going to be disappointed if you think life in Oz is going to be one big dream existence. It has its swings and roundabouts like everywhere else.

However, in order to be prepared to emigrate you do have to be determined so what is it that inspires you? Did your dreams come true?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:51 pm
Badge

Default Re: What *is* the dream?

yes, I suppose so.

Life in Australia has ups and downs and many of us spent enough time here to know that before we came out permanently and thus saw the real Australia not the holiday version of events. I worked outback as a jackeroo, drilled in the desert, flew light planes, drove trucks, worked in IT...networked with Australians, babysitted for months with family, did 9-5.. I came here because deep down I knew we would make it, knew we would get on.

For me, life has turned out nice...

well paid job, beautiful wife I love to death, house on 1 acre, 2 cars, pool, member of local Fire brigade, deck, beautiful idyllic bush environment with views; no sounds but nature and chainsaws and mowers..community living, people are killing to live in places like this; great for bringing up a family. All we need now, no WANT, is a kid or two(!) But I'm on it.

2 years ago, this would have been a dream(!) certainly..I had no idea the way my life would turn out.

Wouldn't change anything. Apart from eradicating the dreaded and euphemistic words "change" from the weather sections of the radio and TV.

You make your own luck. Life - be in it.

cheers

BM

Last edited by Badge; Nov 7th 2004 at 8:55 pm.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:59 pm
Cheeky

Hi Badge and thanks for a great post!

Its lovely to hear how settled and happy you are.

I hope we are as fortunate as you.

Thanks again,
Cheeky

Ps And I hope all your troubles are 'little ones' awwww!!

Originally Posted by Badge
yes.

Life in Australia has ups and downs and many of us spent enough time here to know that before we came out permanently and thus saw the real Australia not the holiday version of events. I worked outback, drilled in the desert, flew light planes, drove trucks, worked in IT...networked with Australians, babysitted for months with family, did 9-5. I came here because deep down I knew we would make it, knew we would get on.

well paid job, beautiful wife I love to death, house on 1 acre, 2 cars, pool, member of local Fire brigade, deck, beautiful idyllic bush environment with views; no sounds but nature and chainsaws and mowers..community living, people are killing to live in places like this; great for bringing up a family. All we need now is a kid or two(!) But I'm on it.

2 years ago, this would have been a dream(!) certainly..

Wouldn't change anything.

cheers

BM

Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

I think by my mid 40's and having seen a lot of the world I have a good idea of what I want and where I want to be.

Having that vision is integral to a basic human drive that keeps us going through bad times and good
and sometimes we are lucky enough to see that place and believe it may be possible to get there. For some it is a virtual process and the place is a state of mind
for me visiting settled friends in Queensland showed me that I could leave the place where i have lived most of my life and suceed
I could live an adventure and survive
I could give my children opportunity and challenge different to that available to them in greater manchester.

and yes it was warm and the beaches were beautiful etc etc but please dont put people down on this forum for trying to express their thoughts

I will keep my signature because I did see a dream, a place where in my mind I go to and am happy with my friends who I miss terribly
in a country where i think the right to free speech is recognised and respected where hopefully i will not feel as patronised as I did by this post

and yes my dream will come true next june when i finally get there for good !

and I do realise that dreams have good and bad elements but hopefully the advice and support that has been available through this forum will help me get through the bad times if there are any oh yes as will my friends old and new

mary
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
yes, I suppose so.

Life in Australia has ups and downs and many of us spent enough time here to know that before we came out permanently and thus saw the real Australia not the holiday version of events. I worked outback as a jackeroo, drilled in the desert, flew light planes, drove trucks, worked in IT...networked with Australians, babysitted for months with family, did 9-5.. I came here because deep down I knew we would make it, knew we would get on.

well paid job, beautiful wife I love to death, house on 1 acre, 2 cars, pool, member of local Fire brigade, deck, beautiful idyllic bush environment with views; no sounds but nature and chainsaws and mowers..community living, people are killing to live in places like this; great for bringing up a family. All we need now, no WANT, is a kid or two(!) But I'm on it.

2 years ago, this would have been a dream(!) certainly..I had no idea the way my life would turn out.

Wouldn't change anything. Apart from eradicating the dreaded and euphemistic words "change" from the weather sections of the radio and TV.

cheers

BM
I rather like your post too badge. You have obviously worked to get what you want, and now you can enjoy it. I think for me it shows why I want to leave this country. I love it to bits here, but to achieve 'the sounds of nature' etc would be impossible for me here, I simply wouldn't have the money.

I want a modest place in Aus (you hear that Cas? ), but in the sticks a bit, which is still achievable on a nurse's wage in Aus methinks. That's my dream anyway. Modest and achievable. Not masses of material possessions, just affordable nature in all it's exotic Aussie glory!

Oh, and maybe a cheese shop.......
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I rather like your post too badge. You have obviously worked to get what you want, and now you can enjoy it. I think for me it shows why I want to leave this country. I love it to bits here, but to achieve 'the sounds of nature' etc would be impossible for me here, I simply wouldn't have the money.

I want a modest place in Aus (you hear that Cas? ), but in the sticks a bit, which is still achievable on a nurse's wage in Aus methinks. That's my dream anyway. Modest and achievable. Not masses of material possessions, just affordable nature in all it's exotic Aussie glory!

Oh, and maybe a cheese shop.......
Is that modest with a swimming pool and/or a jacuzzi ?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Is that modest with a swimming pool and/or a jacuzzi ?
Hmmmmm, you're tempting me into a recklessly materialistic lifestyle here.......
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Hmmmmm, you're tempting me into a recklessly materialistic lifestyle here.......
Good, sorry but a simple bath is just not big enough these days!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Good, sorry but a simple bath is just not big enough these days!
Hmmm outdoor jacuzzi on an Aussie summer's evening with Cas, I'll have to think about it........OK I've thought about it, it's a brilliant idea!

But we'll have to strictly limit ourselves to a couple of 100 hectares of beautiful bushland on our property. Wouldn't want to get greedy now!

Shall we live next to the cheese shop? And do you plan to sell socks too?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

The Welsh Wizard & co is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lifes what you make it !!!

Hi guys,
I believe that a "Move" is not always for the better,and some dreams just die cos we allow them to, but the challenges we encounter with moveing will give us a detour, or change of direction that gives us a different view on the same scene.
Life does not come knocking at the door, we have to "go" in search for it, just like dreams I suppose , so why not try a new avenue, life is soooooo short, to look back and say "I wonder what it would have been like",would kill me, Ive got to try for myself...............the worst thing can happen is I come back and say "I gave it a try, but not for me",!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
This is my incentive that drives me on my quest, or my goal, or my dream - what ever it is I must persue it, cos if things dont change -then they stay the same....................what a thourght.
off for a glass of wine now, ive used up all allocated grey cell data for one day ha ha !!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Hmmm outdoor jacuzzi on an Aussie summer's evening with Cas, I'll have to think about it........OK I've thought about it, it's a brilliant idea!

But we'll have to strictly limit ourselves to a couple of 100 hectares of beautiful bushland on our property. Wouldn't want to get greedy now!

Shall we live next to the cheese shop? And do you plan to sell socks too?
Yes, live next door to the cheese shop, then I can have goats and cows and make my (our) own cheese and sell it as fresh as possible.
Socks can be a sideline as I would probably pinch them all.
Oh and a couple of horses so that I can round up the goats and cows.

Is that ok?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marysidey
Iplease dont put people down on this forum for trying to express their thoughts

... hopefully i will not feel as patronised as I did by this post
I hope it works out for you. I had no wish to patronise you or anyone else who mentions dreams in their taglines. What I wanted to know was what the dream actually was for those who make a point of mentioning them; dreams are by their very nature ephemeral things and I was interested in getting some people to make them concrete.

So far at least, people seem to dream of a rural lifestyle.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Yes, live next door to the cheese shop, then I can have goats and cows and make my (our) own cheese and sell it as fresh as possible.
Socks can be a sideline as I would probably pinch them all.
Oh and a couple of horses so that I can round up the goats and cows.

Is that ok?
Yep! Can we raise chooks too? And ducks! Then we can eat our own poultry and sell fresh eggs! I'm really beginning to warm to this idea........Well my Mum's family are farmers after all! Must be in the blood............
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Yep! Can we raise chooks too? And ducks! Then we can eat our own poultry and sell fresh eggs! I'm really beginning to warm to this idea........Well my Mum's family are farmers after all! Must be in the blood............
Wouldn't mind some biodynamically grown veggies too. And fruit trees of course! I want to grow my own mangoes, macadamias, avocadoes, citrus fruits and bananas......just because I can, LOL!

So the 'dream' keeps growing (if you'll pardon the pun) for me.......
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

I cannot kill a chicken!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.