mortgages!

Old Apr 12th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough
Default mortgages!

Can anyone advise on how they got on with taking out a mortgage in Oz. We will hopefully travel over with 250,000 au$ but want to hold back 50,000, so for a house we will have 200,000 upfront.. we're hopefully heading to Perth looking at Ellenbrook as a fav at mom (but then again that changes on a weekly basis!).. Any advice would be great.

Driving licence. myself and hubby both have provisional licences... we have applied for test but waiting list here in Ireland is 18 months even though we put priority on the test etc it doesn't make a difference. What is the story in Oz with regards to driving... can we drive for a short period of time on the provisional licence and sit our test in oz? advice please!

to add to above OH holds a full motorbike licence - will this stand to him in OZ or does he have to redo bike test also? If so has anyone done this and what does it entail? TA

thanks for any advice.
Yvonne & Alan - up the Dubs!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mortgages!

Originally Posted by YAFOLEY
Can anyone advise on how they got on with taking out a mortgage in Oz. We will hopefully travel over with 250,000 au$ but want to hold back 50,000, so for a house we will have 200,000 upfront.. we're hopefully heading to Perth looking at Ellenbrook as a fav at mom (but then again that changes on a weekly basis!).. Any advice would be great.

Driving licence. myself and hubby both have provisional licences... we have applied for test but waiting list here in Ireland is 18 months even though we put priority on the test etc it doesn't make a difference. What is the story in Oz with regards to driving... can we drive for a short period of time on the provisional licence and sit our test in oz? advice please!

to add to above OH holds a full motorbike licence - will this stand to him in OZ or does he have to redo bike test also? If so has anyone done this and what does it entail? TA

thanks for any advice.
hi Yvonne

have heard that you can get a mortgage defiantly once you have a job offer and you have worked your three months however the Commonwealth have given to people on here before after three weeks and just the confirmation letter of employment!

as for driver licences-not sure on provisional but you can change over a full licence in a day if you pass in the gold coast, i think it costs 12dollars and you dont have to wait to long, some have been in to try for the test the next day!

sorry not much but hope this helps Little

hugs gee x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gina
hi Yvonne

have heard that you can get a mortgage defiantly once you have a job offer and you have worked your three months however the Commonwealth have given to people on here before after three weeks and just the confirmation letter of employment!

as for driver licences-not sure on provisional but you can change over a full licence in a day if you pass in the gold coast, i think it costs 12dollars and you dont have to wait to long, some have been in to try for the test the next day!

sorry not much but hope this helps Little

hugs gee x
Hi gee,
thanks for answering us. Just worried we won't get a mortgage but surely if you put 200,000 down they will! (I Hope)... with 3 kids don't fancy staying in a motel/rented for too long...
cheers Yvonne
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gee,
thanks for answering us. Just worried we won't get a mortgage but surely if you put 200,000 down they will! (I Hope)... with 3 kids don't fancy staying in a motel/rented for too long...
cheers Yvonne
no youll be fine from what i can gather it works very similar to hear x2.5 or 3 ext

hugs gee
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:09 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

From our experience you will get a mortgage no problems.

I had only just been offered a job (hadnt even started and had 3 months probation to complete) the other half was temping (accountant) and the banks were throwing money at us.

They offered us 5 or 6 times our joint income :scared: which under those circumstances is stupid in my opinion. In the end we borrowed about twice our joint income which we were both happy with.

Just be careful as it seems to be very easy to get in major debt over home loans.

Hi gee,
cheers Yvonne
Old Apr 13th 2006, 12:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any advice.
I got a mortgage 9 weeks after arrival & I'm a contractor & not a full time employee.
I would of thought that you could not drive on a provisional licence over here. The motorbike licence can be swapped over in Perth no problem. It takes about 20 minutes & costs about $140.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 12:08 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

thanks for any advice.
i have always found australian banks to be helpful they have a tendency to way up the odds if they can make money out of you with no risks they will lend no problems and seem to help new migrants out just a letter was all i needed and i am a contractor ,so with your deposit you wont have any probs.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Yvonne\Allan,

You should have no problem getting a mortgage with such a sizeable deposit and once one of you have secured a job. We used one of those mortgage brokers (Aussie Home Loans) to give us an idea of what the banks here require and what types of mortgage are on offer. Their advice is free and if you choose to use them, they will do a loto f the leg work (forms etc) for you. However, it is best to first to do a bit of research for yourself first and then get the home loan broker perhaps to confirm what you think is best for you.

I had a full UK car and bike driver licence when I arrived here (Sydney\New South Wales). It was just a straight swap, car and bike included. You retain your old licence, but they punch a small hole in it presumably in case you pull a fast one with the cops - "Oh, I am just a tourist officer..."

All The Best

Nick
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kangablue
I had a full UK car and bike driver licence when I arrived here (Sydney\New South Wales). It was just a straight swap, car and bike included. You retain your old licence, but they punch a small hole in it presumably in case you pull a fast one with the cops - "Oh, I am just a tourist officer..."
They don't do this in WA, they just give you your licence back as is.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any advice.

Hi Yvonne & Alan,

If we can be of any assistance with Mortgages and finance or any general information you may require then please p.m me and I would be delighted to help you out. Please visit our website. www.assetunity.com.au

Tony