Reload this Page >

Tour Oz in a campervan?

Tour Oz in a campervan?

Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

wolflanigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tour Oz in a campervan?

Hi Guys
Me, the wife and 2 kids 11 and 20 months, are coming to oz hopefully in July/August and are seriously thinking about doing a tour of Oz in a camper for 6-9 months before we get stuck in to work and settling in somewhere, probably Adelaide or Melbourne region.

Has anyone done this can offer any advice or relate a few experiences?

Thanks Fergus.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tour Oz in a campervan?

Please do not watch the film Wolf Creek!
Old Apr 13th 2006, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Jacko_22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolflanigan
Hi Guys
Me, the wife and 2 kids 11 and 20 months, are coming to oz hopefully in July/August and are seriously thinking about doing a tour of Oz in a camper for 6-9 months before we get stuck in to work and settling in somewhere, probably Adelaide or Melbourne region.

Thanks Fergus.
Going back to 1998, we started in Adelaide. Bought a campervan for about 5K and travelled from SA, upto Port Douglas in QLand, then back to Sydney to start work. Took nearly 9 months to do it, but gave us the option to stay in a place for a night, or a fortnight. Marvellous experience, and you get to see so much more of the the country. Returned to Oz in 04, and the first thing I done was buy a campervan.

Tip for you. Britz sell their vans which are > 5 years old so you can pick up a decent van (with a lot of K's) for about 15-18K. They're regularly serviced by Britz so you know you're not buying a lemon.

Happy travels!

Jacko
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolflanigan
Hi Guys

Thanks Fergus.

Hi Fergus,

We are considering something along the same lines. We will probably not make the move until July/August 07. By then we will have a 3 and a bit year old and 15 month old (hopefully as baby due any day now!!). If we do give it a go, we plan to buy the campervan or caravan and car in Sydney or Brisbane and drive over to Perth for around the October/November. My initial thoughts are that it will take a lot of planning and organising. Our main concern is travelling and living in a campervan for a prolonged period of time travelling through some of the remotest areas of Australia with two young children. Another concern is that most of this time will be spent in the tropical north and you have to think about what impact it would have on young children moving from the English climate and then living in a campervan in the tropics for a few months. It would be the dry season but still mosquitos etc. We have spent a few months travelling in the same regions before and met families on similar adventures. It is certainly achievable and it would be interesting to read if anybody on the forum has completed a similar trip. It would be a great experience.

My only current tip is head up North as soon as you begin the trip as you will freeze in a campervan in the Southern States in July/August and then work your way back down to Adelaide/Melbourne as spring approaches. You will also find that up in the Northern Territories, Western Australia and Queensland there are plenty of decent campsites where you can hook up to electricity and do the washing, have a decent shower etc.

Let me know how you get on!!

Cheers

Mark
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:58 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

mail Joanna Lee's.

No seriously what kind of trip are you planning? If doing the whole across Australia trip you would need a heck of an amount of planning. You mention 6-9 months so I guess you are planning a big one. Therefore i would strongly recommend looking for any tourism/courses that give advise on this sort of thing. An Aussie guy I once worked with did the south to north trip and it took a full 6 months of planning.

bringing a 20 month old child ???? :scared: