Mortgage

Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:24 am
Just Joined

nealhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage

Hi all

I am just about to move to sydney and wondered how the lending system works for buying a home in Aus and also being on a working visa (457 )if thats possible to secure a loan ?

I would be grateful for your help

Neal

Last edited by nealhan; Apr 4th 2012 at 12:56 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage

Originally Posted by nealhan
Hi all

I am just about to move to sydney and wondered how the lending system works for buying a home in Aus and also being on a working visa (435 )if thats possible to secure a loan ?

Neal
I've never heard of a 435 visa. Could you let us know whether it's a PR or temporary visa? It makes a difference to lending criteria and restrictions on buying.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I am just about to move to sydney and wondered how the lending system works for buying a home in Aus and also being on a working visa (435 )if thats possible to secure a loan ?

Neal
The lending system works ...... It's just one of the worst places to invest in property right now.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've never heard of a 435 visa. Could you let us know whether it's a PR or temporary visa? It makes a difference to lending criteria and restrictions on buying.
Hi Dorothy

Thank you for your reply my mistake the visa is a 457

Kind Regards

Neal
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
The lending system works ...... It's just one of the worst places to invest in property right now.
Hi

I guessed I would be buying at the wrong time buy I would rather buy than rent if I can ?

Regards

Neal

Last edited by nealhan; Apr 4th 2012 at 12:58 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy property but will need approval from some body, can't remember the name. Yes it is possible to get a mortgage on this visa.

If you dont want to rent because you think kt is "dead money" bear in mind that buying in a falling market and then having to sell up in a hurry because uou have been given 28 days to leave the country, could be a much worse deal. No way would I buy on a temporary visa.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You can buy property but will need approval from some body, can't remember the name. Yes it is possible to get a mortgage on this visa.

If you dont want to rent because you think kt is "dead money" bear in mind that buying in a falling market and then having to sell up in a hurry because uou have been given 28 days to leave the country, could be a much worse deal. No way would I buy on a temporary visa.
I agree, we are going on a 457 but I wouldn't buy, if we suddenly have to go it would be stressful enough without having to sell a house too.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Mabye it's just this area but it seems to be cheaper here to rent than to buy the same house and pay a mortgage on it, unlike in the UK where I always found it cheaper to pay a mortgage than to rent.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Hi all

I am just about to move to sydney and wondered how the lending system works for buying a home in Aus and also being on a working visa (457 )if thats possible to secure a loan ?

Neal
Hi Neal,
You can buy property in Australia on a 457 Visa. 2 main things to consider;
1) Deposit - typically you will require 20% plus costs. Costs will typically be around 5% of the purchase price to cover stamp duty, solicitors etc. Note though that stamp duty is different from state to state and will vary from nothing to 6%.

With that said, you can get a mortgage with only a 10% deposit plus costs if you were short on having the full 20%. <snip>
2) Foreign Investment Review Board Approval (FIRB); you need govt approval to buy Australian real estate if you do not hold citizenship or permanent residency. This is very easy though and always approved providing you are buying the property to live in. The Government is in no way concerned with foreigners buying a place to live in themselves. More information www.firb.gov.au

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 15th 2012 at 9:57 am. Reason: advertising
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:22 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan
Hi Neal,
You can buy property in Australia on a 457 Visa. 2 main things to consider;
1) Deposit - typically you will require 20% plus costs. Costs will typically be around 5% of the purchase price to cover stamp duty, solicitors etc. Note though that stamp duty is different from state to state and will vary from nothing to 6%.

With that said, you can get a mortgage with only a 10% deposit plus costs if you were short on having the full 20%. More information on 457 visa home loans here.

2) Foreign Investment Review Board Approval (FIRB); you need govt approval to buy Australian real estate if you do not hold citizenship or permanent residency. This is very easy though and always approved providing you are buying the property to live in. The Government is in no way concerned with foreigners buying a place to live in themselves. <snip>

Hope this helps, good luck!
I agree with that!
Within 5 weeks of arriving, we bought a house. As long as you have 20% + deposit and satisfy the bank that you can make the repayments (ie, have a job) - it's very easy. FIRB is also easy and quick.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 15th 2012 at 9:57 am.