Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mornington peninsula

Mornington peninsula

Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mornington peninsula

Originally Posted by Petals
I have posted this before but Mornington at night in the middle of the night is no different from Frankston this was born out in the crime figures published this week. My daughter tells me its pretty rough on the streets in Mornington in the night.
Old thread reborn I know, however I was myself out in Mornington on Saturday night at one of the more respectable establishments (it's all relative...), even that one had about seven bouncers on the door and during the evening they were involved with two separate violent altercations with people who were refused entry to the bar. It is not dissimilar from many English towns on a Saturday night in that aspect, it attracts a large crowd due to the large number of drinking establishments there.

BB
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

GeordieGeek will become famous soon enoughGeordieGeek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mornington peninsula

Thanks for the replies

I will take more of a look at Hastings and Berwick based on your recommendations then.

I currently work from home (internet stuff) so we wouldn't be looking to live in Melbourne itself or commute to the CBD hence so we are happy basing ourselves in Mornington Peninsula to get a feel for what it might be like to live around that way.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeordieGeek
Thanks for the replies

I will take more of a look at Hastings and Berwick based on your recommendations then.

I currently work from home (internet stuff) so we wouldn't be looking to live in Melbourne itself or commute to the CBD hence so we are happy basing ourselves in Mornington Peninsula to get a feel for what it might be like to live around that way.
Personally I would question Hastings. I don't think it has gentrified enough and although it does have some nice facilities it also has nice views over the local oil refinery and steel works. If you are looking for something on this side of the peninsula then I would suggest Balnarring (which is twee), Flinders (which is even more twee but further away from the action) or Somerville (which is not twee but is very functional and has a good location for getting to other parts of the peninsula). If you want to stay on the west coast I would suggest Mornington or Mt Martha. Rye (as you earlier suggested) would be okay. Dromana would also be okay. I'd give Rosebud a miss (it looks pretty but does have underlying problems).
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Jeremybec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We moved from NZ to Australia last March and we will be moving to Victoria hopefully early this year. We've had a shocker of a year trying to start our lives here and we're hoping that this move will be our last for a long time!

We like the look of Mornington because of it's proximity to the beach, the village shops, and the distance from Melbourne. We're 1 hour from Sydney (in the Blue Mtns) at the moment and we really like being able to go in for the day but live further out. We have two kids ages 6 and 3 so good schools are a high priority. Does anyone know anything about Mornington Primary or Mornington Park Primary?

How far is it by car to Frankston?

My husband will be a Police Officer hopefully at Frankston station (which should keep him busy judging from some of the posts on here) so we're not wanting to be too far away.

Is air- conditioning essential?

Lastly - the flies in summer. How bad is it? The thought of trying to take the kids to the beach while being covered with flies isn't that appealing.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

20 minutes depending on traffic and there is heaps of it on both the Moorooduc Road and the Nepean Highway. Mornington . There is a bus but not sure how long that takes.

I live on the outskirts of Somerville and we have the train and a bus so more transport options. I drive to Frankston in about 20 minutes too. I know the backways at certain time of the day but there are no backways from Mornington unfortunately.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Avoided this thread coz I thought it was that bloody stupid radio game Mornington summit or other... I can now avoid it coz I know nothing about Mornington... you can all stand at ease..
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jeremybec
Hi
We moved from NZ to Australia last March and we will be moving to Victoria hopefully early this year. We've had a shocker of a year trying to start our lives here and we're hoping that this move will be our last for a long time!

We like the look of Mornington because of it's proximity to the beach, the village shops, and the distance from Melbourne. We're 1 hour from Sydney (in the Blue Mtns) at the moment and we really like being able to go in for the day but live further out. We have two kids ages 6 and 3 so good schools are a high priority. Does anyone know anything about Mornington Primary or Mornington Park Primary?

How far is it by car to Frankston?

My husband will be a Police Officer hopefully at Frankston station (which should keep him busy judging from some of the posts on here) so we're not wanting to be too far away.

Is air- conditioning essential?

Lastly - the flies in summer. How bad is it? The thought of trying to take the kids to the beach while being covered with flies isn't that appealing.

Thanks in advance.
Air con is not essential. Fans would be nice if you don't have air con. You may get a few days through the year when you wish you had air con. Air con in the car is essential.

The flies can be bad but it varies from year to year. This year has been relatively good. About 3 years ago it was dreadful. If it's a bad year then you could be looking at a couple of months of the annoying little pests. It's also worth nothing that sometimes the amount of flies can vary from beach to beach. I can remember them being really bad down at Flinders a few years ago but 20-30 mins up the road there was nothing at Balnarring.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:02 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

it attracts a large crowd due to the large number of drinking establishments there.

BB
Sold!

We are looking at mornington peninsular again.

The only worry I have is that I will freeze in winter. Houses with no central heating and temps that get quite low don't fill me with joy
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mornington peninsula

Originally Posted by Kapri
Sold!

The only worry I have is that I will freeze in winter. Houses with no central heating and temps that get quite low don't fill me with joy
Kathy, choose your house carefully, or build it yourself or upgrade it and you won't be cold. Our house isn't cold in winter. And pretty much every house has central heating here. In our last house which was a rental it was a bigger problem boiling in summer than freezing in winter as it faced North and had no aircon.

I really hope you do move to Victoria it would be lovely to have you nearby.

BB
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kapri
Sold!

Most of the houses have central heating around here. I think you would have to be unlucky (or in Qld) to find ones that don't.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what is paid in rent as to what facilities are in the houses. So more you pay more you can expect to get.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

MP rocks OK

especially Mt Martha
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

we're moving to Mt Martha in early February, came down from Sydney for a week over new year to catch up with old friends and loved it!!!

viewed a nice rental house for $450 a week, modern 4 beds + study, air con/heating and a fraction of the rental price in Sydney!

applied whilst we were down there and have been accepted by the landlord!!

So moving down in few weeks!

I'm carpenter/builder so if u know of any work would be appreciated!!!

See you all soon!!!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mr Cro - welcome to Mt Martha! Where abouts is your rental?

Maybe we can discuss the state of the pound over a few beers

Take a look at Britvics site as there are loads of expats in our area so may bring in some business and someone is usually asking for a tradie of some sort. Actually how good are you at wooden retaining walls.... long story but it would be nice to have one sooner rather than later!

Even though the Peninsula is sometimes classed as pricey no where near as bad as Sydney. My friends are looking at a 2 bed townhouse on the N Beaches and are expecting to pay over $800k but you could be a fantastic house down here for much less, they can't believe what we've paid for ours and how much we got for it and no where near $800k!

Good luck with the move!

KK
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Jeremybec is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. We're the lower Blue Mtns now and today is 33 degrees.. we have aircon but we don't use it a lot because the house is quite shady with a lot of trees around.

We moved in March 2010 to Thirroul which is an hour south of Sydney and spent a stressful 9 weeks applying for rentals. We couldn't find anything despite excellent references so we gave up and moved to the Blue Mtns in May. Most property agents weren't interested in us as tenants as soon as they found out we have children. It was very disheartening. We found somewhere to rent where we are now although it's very small and not really what we were after. Then in October our next big blow came.. the course my husband was meant to do in Feb was cancelled (he's a NZ Police officer transferring to NSW Police) with no promises that it will go ahead. So now we're heading to Vic as soon as we have confirmation from Vic Police. We're hoping (desperately!) that this will be our last move for a long time. We're really wanting to get settled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.