Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mornington / Mount Martha

Mornington / Mount Martha

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

nathe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mornington / Mount Martha

Just starting the process of visa acquirement but want to get a couple of facts sorted first.

Having read around I think the mentioned 2 areas are the two I'd probably plump for but I am concerned about how well the road systems work if I have to commute, possibly all the way into Melbourne area itself. What sort of times are we talking for a drive on average; what sort of distance from Mornington / Mt. Martha would be feasable in say 40-45 mins?

This way I can start to make enquiries about job availability as I approach that time in the future when applying for a job will make sense. It will also let me put feelers out via e-mail etc to places in the relevant areas even now.

Hope you can help as right now this is my major concern.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:58 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mornington / Mount Martha

Originally Posted by nathe
Just starting the process of visa acquirement but want to get a couple of facts sorted first.

Having read around I think the mentioned 2 areas are the two I'd probably plump for but I am concerned about how well the road systems work if I have to commute, possibly all the way into Melbourne area itself. What sort of times are we talking for a drive on average; what sort of distance from Mornington / Mt. Martha would be feasable in say 40-45 mins?

This way I can start to make enquiries about job availability as I approach that time in the future when applying for a job will make sense. It will also let me put feelers out via e-mail etc to places in the relevant areas even now.

Hope you can help as right now this is my major concern.
Currently there is roadworks from where the east link joins the monash. This reduces the speed from 100km to 80km. When this is restored this route should take about 45 mins - currently 30 mins from Frankston (per 9am journey I did this morning).

Most people however still drive along the neapean and then beach road.

From Seaford to Port Melbourne it would take a good hour in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon if travelling during peak hour 3pm to 8pm

Most of the hold up is when you get intown ie 10km from CBD - so consider not the extra 20 mins where you are cruising at 100km but the first or last 20 mins at stop start speeds.

Also bear in mind alot of companies are setting up alongside the east link so may not be a need to work in CBD.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

I agree with Geelong Gent and I'd also point out there is lots of industry in SE Melbourne anyway.

That area is very beautiful and I regularly go down there as a relaxation from our otherwise unexciting suburb.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:17 am
Just Joined

My industry is limited ----- am a Dental Surgeon, and the Mrs is in the same profession. Gotta go where current practices are for now.

So now I can start to make contacts in a rough given radius from Morn./MM.

Any other assistance and info that anyone has got, please feel free to chuck it my way.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I know all the short cuts and have lived here for over thirty years and have my share of speeding fines and I have never been able to go to the city from Somerville which is on a par with Mornington under an hour. In the rush hour now I would be adding a lot as you get slowed down coming through Frankston. With eight sets of lights and four roundabouts to get to Mornington Tyabb Road it takes a while. Bumper to bumper in peak times.

Somerville is easier to get to the city and its still over an hour we only have to contend with two roundabouts and seven sets of lights to get to the Frankston Freeway.

If I go to the city Beach Road is the way I go as its only 60 but at least it keeps going unlike the Freeways. Or else I use the new Eastlink freeway and go down the Eastern avoid the Monash like the plague.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the input so far. if I may go a little further for detail:

If I was to base out of Mornington / MM what sort of radius mile-wise would be attainable within 45 minutes during the peak traffic periods?

What I want to do is draw a circle with these 2 areas as the centre and see what job opportunies in my field are currently available. I can then make some contacts.

Thanks in anticipation.