Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Superannuation when moving back to UK

Superannuation when moving back to UK

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:16 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Superannuation when moving back to UK

I am leaving my NHS final salary scheme pension in the UK when I emigrate to OZ. My OZ employer is making 9% Superann contributions. If say in 10 years time, I was to move back to the UK, would I be able to transfer the OZ pension fund to the UK?????????
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Superannuation when moving back to UK

Bump!!!!!! am very interested in this too, i will be in the same position myself soon.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
Bump!!!!!! am very interested in this too, i will be in the same position myself soon.
Short answer...........NO
Even if you had transferred your UK pension here........ it has to stay here
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

I'd do some serious soul searching before i converted a final salary pension to a private pension. Just leave the pension here and when you are at retirement age take the money into a UK account and transfer it over. That's what a lot of the Brits I encountered were doing. I'd suggest a transfer if it was a defined contribution or personal pension. Just my thoughts.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Sorry i misunderstood your post think you are saying you are leaving the NHS pension. Apologies.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:51 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

When I moved back to UK from Australia I got my ex-employer to write a letter to my superannuation administrator to tell them my employment was terminating and that I was returning permanently to the UK, and provided an address for correspondence in the UK. The administrator sent me a cheque for the balance of my super fund a few months later, minus 50% tax. Yes 50%, that is not a typo. Think carefully before you do this!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:39 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Should have mentioned that I never got permanent residency, I was on a temporary skilled (457) visa and I believe that's why I was able to access the funds. I think if you become a perm resident you have to wait until retirement.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope as the others have said if you are a permanent resident here then your super stays here until you reach retirement age and then you can do with it what you want. If you are a temporary resident then you can reclaim it with, as Herman said, some serious tax issues! They get you coming and going really!