Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Monthly living expense

Monthly living expense

Old May 21st 2010, 8:41 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly living expense

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I’m not saying you don’t. If you contributed then I don’t care if you get child benefit. It’s the fact that someone can just arrive and from day one get it that annoys me. There should be a waiting period – just like unemployment benefits. Do you think it would be fair for someone to get that from day 1?
I agree. Having children, for many well off westerners, is a choice in the main. The child benefit should be at least be fully means tested. It sort of irks me that people migrate, claim it, whilst at the same time trying to decide on which new car to buy or which affluent suburb offers the best school.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:10 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sass73
Best of luck with the job hunting Jen. We're in the same boat regarding wages - Hubbie's been out of work for nearly 6 months and he's getting so frustrated with the lack of respect shown by some of the recruitment agencies. I keep chanting 'patience is a virtue' too!
Thanks
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:48 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
What kind of job is your hubby looking for ?
He's after something in IT
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:55 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea current rental market in and around Footscray area, preferably two bedroom apartment.
All I can do is point you to Domain.com.au (choose North suburbs) which is website for rentals and properties for sale. Footscray is close to the city so its a bit expensive in some areas but I've just had a look and there are some 3 bed houses for $350-$380.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
I agree. Having children, for many well off westerners, is a choice in the main. The child benefit should be at least be fully means tested. It sort of irks me that people migrate, claim it, whilst at the same time trying to decide on which new car to buy or which affluent suburb offers the best school.
You have a VERY good point there.

Which private school do we pick, and how much Benefit will the taxpayer contribute to our childs chosen private school costs ?

In theory, if you can afford private schools, you don't NEED the child benefit.

Old May 22nd 2010, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Family benefits ARE means tested, both parts A and B. Only thing that is not means tested is the chidcare rebate (not the benefit). My OH earns a very good salary which means we're only eligible for Family Benefit part B (well, have to wait until we do our tax returns, we might be just over the limit). That's about $3,500 for the whole year for 2 children under 5. Not complaining, just pointing out that not everyone gets the benefits.

Of course, when I go back to work, that will pretty much disappear as our combined income will probably be over the threshold (I won't earn much, just enough to tip the scales...). We have a 10 year-old car and have not moved to an affluent suburb because of a shool. Couldn't afford it. We've been here 7 years, have been paying our taxes here for 7 years and because we were temporary residents until last year, we have never got the baby bonus or any of the other handouts from the government (except for FHBG). And we didn't even claim the LAFHA. So not everybody lives off other people's taxes... And I have not gone back to work earlier as we would have been worse off because of the cost of childcare (even with the rebate). Couldn't justify going to work just to pay for childcare...
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In theory, if you can afford private schools, you don't NEED the child benefit.
I completely agree with you there. If you have enough money to send your kids to private school (heavily subsidised by our taxes too btw), you shouldn't get anything.
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I completely agree with you there. If you have enough money to send your kids to private school (heavily subsidised by our taxes too btw), you shouldn't get anything.
The subsidy to private schools is another topic, but in brief, children in State schools are subsidised by almost twice as much as Private school school students are.
The average state school child costs the taxpayer about $11,000 pa but the private school ones only cost about $6,700 pa. source

Old May 23rd 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

A family does not have to earn that much to get no FTB. Given that immigrants generally work hard in their new country I would imagine that most get very little off the Government. We had to give most of ours back so would not even bother getting involved with Centrelink unless we were desperate.

You will also very quickly look at private schooling especially if you live in Queensland.

I do remember though that one of the reps who visits us has four Children and that is the magic number where it is debatable whether it is worth working or not if there is only one bread winner in the family as the benefits become very generous. In his case working was slightly more attractive than staying at home.

Last edited by neil248; May 23rd 2010 at 2:56 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by neil248
A family does not have to earn that much to get no FTB.
Define "much"..

2009-10
FTB Part A
Actual annual family income limit at which Family Tax Benefit stops, with 1 child under 17: $101,045

FTB Part B is limited to families (single parent or couple) where the primary earner has an adjusted taxable income of $150,000 per year or less.

Old May 23rd 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Define "much"..

2009-10
FTB Part A
Actual annual family income limit at which Family Tax Benefit stops, with 1 child under 17: $101,045

FTB Part B is limited to families (single parent or couple) where the primary earner has an adjusted taxable income of $150,000 per year or less.
$150,000 per year or less
If I am not mistaken average australian family income is 67k, So it seem most Australian must be claiming FTB B. correct me if I am wrong
Old May 25th 2010, 8:51 am
ABCDiamond

$150,000 per year or less
If I am not mistaken average australian family income is 67k, So it seem most Australian must be claiming FTB B. correct me if I am wrong
Only if they have children with one partner not working or only working a little.

But Yes, a lot do get it.