Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Monthly living expense

Monthly living expense

Old May 21st 2010, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice
Default Re: Monthly living expense

Originally Posted by IndieG
My s-i-l and family moved here 20 years ago, with hardly any savings. They were on the dole for the first 18 months, whilst her hubby went back to Uni to obtain Aussie qualifications (although he already had two degrees). Both found jobs soon thereafter and haven't been unemployed ever since. Between the two of them, they've been earning well over $250k a year for the past 10 years, so have paid back much more in taxes than what they received in benefits. Their son got top marks in his VCEs and is now studying to become a doctor.

Are you saying they shouldn't have come here as they had very little money with them?

BTW, if you're entitled to some benefits from the Govt. would you claim them or not?
Old May 21st 2010, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok, so someone like me, with no sprogs, would be entitled to nothing, even if we're experiencing hardship due to this bl**dy teacher registration taking so long!? Hardly seems fair....
Well well, you want Uncle Kevin to be fair ? then have some babies
Old May 21st 2010, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
So you are saying that the poor or the needy shouldn’t have children? It takes all sorts to make a population. How boring if we were all the same.
The poor can have children all they want, just don’t expect me to pay for them.

I have no problem with people receiving some benefits for the Children (as much as it does annoy me) but what’s more annoying is giving it to a migrant, I’m sorry, but if you cannot afford such a move with Children then you shouldn’t be moving.

If I was unemployed I’d apply for government help, but that’s only because I’ve paid a lot in taxes over the years.

Originally Posted by coolshadows
From their point of view, you've only got yourself to look after. So they assume you'll be arriving with enough money to sustain yourself for 2 years.
It should be the same for families, they should assume they’ll be arriving with enough money to sustain their family for 2 years.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:50 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
Well well, you want Uncle Kevin to be fair ? then have some babies
No chance! lol
Old May 21st 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canadaeh
The poor can have children all they want, just don’t expect me to pay for them.

I have no problem with people receiving some benefits for the Children (as much as it does annoy me) but what’s more annoying is giving it to a migrant, I’m sorry, but if you cannot afford such a move with Children then you shouldn’t be moving.

If I was unemployed I’d apply for government help, but that’s only because I’ve paid a lot in taxes over the years.

It should be the same for families, they should assume they’ll be arriving with enough money to sustain their family for 2 years.

It is being said over and over again that migrants are a net asset to Australia and the tax dept. All migrants bring loaded with skills, qualification and experience for which investment on education/ training were done by some other country and it is a net net benefit for Oz, So given some benefit for the kids education ect ect. is not a big deal further these children will contribute handsomely to the Australian economy latter on. Australian Gov realises this as an investment with a long term return.

Further only very few migrants would go for the Center link because after two year wait period most of them can stand on their feet. Has said, the FTB is for the children who will bring much greater benefit to Oz.

I guess you are not a migrant or a very rich migrant or completely ignorant of the ground realities of a modern economy.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:51 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Most modern countries offer some form of child benefit, if Australia didn't I can't see why a fair number of migrating families would bother coming here. Why would you migrate at vast expense only to end up significantly worst off? Or are you going to tell me that the wages here are much better?

Should Australia's new line be "Come to Australia, but don't bring your kids - they're not wanted" ?
Old May 21st 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Or are you going to tell me that the wages here are much better?
Who said anything about the wages being better here?

Should Australia's new line be "Come to Australia, but don't bring your kids - they're not wanted" ?
Not at all, but something along the lines of “Come to Australia – just don’t expect your lifestyle to be sustained by Australians” might be good?

We just have different opinions’, simple as that. I prefer to make my own money and sustain a lifestyle suitable to it; I wouldn’t be ok living on someone else’s money. I applied for Centrelink when I moved here a few years ago (Citizen), but never got it as I found a job in time, but the only reason I felt ok about it was I had paid my taxes here before. Like I said, if I became unemployed I’d certainly apply for unemployment benefits as I have contributed my taxes to it.

I’ve moved back and forth from Australia a few times and I know that I wouldn’t ever make the move expecting my new country to pick up the tab if I hadn’t already contributed to it.

If I had children I’d make sure I have an income that could support them.

So I’ll agree to disagree.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:09 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I wouldn’t ever make the move expecting my new country to pick up the tab if I hadn’t already contributed to it.

If I had children I’d make sure I have an income that could support them.

So I’ll agree to disagree.
I pay taxes too.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I pay taxes too.
I’m not saying you don’t. If you contributed then I don’t care if you get child benefit. It’s the fact that someone can just arrive and from day one get it that annoys me. There should be a waiting period – just like unemployment benefits. Do you think it would be fair for someone to get that from day 1?
Old May 21st 2010, 7:39 am
Pie Eater

I’m not saying you don’t. If you contributed then I don’t care if you get child benefit. It’s the fact that someone can just arrive and from day one get it that annoys me. There should be a waiting period – just like unemployment benefits. Do you think it would be fair for someone to get that from day 1?
Child benefit, Yes. Unemployment benefit, No.

You also have to take into consideration all the temporary visa holders getting LAFHA - Living Away From Home Allowance.

Last edited by coolshadows; May 21st 2010 at 7:41 am.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it would be fair for someone to get that from day 1?
Yes, if you look at it as the Government's investment into the future of Australia? I've given you an example of how it works (although you haven't answered my question there). Some immigrants may not have a lot of money but bring with them plenty of skills. These skills coupled with their determination to succeed will ultimately pay off when they start working and begin paying taxes.

Surely the govt. must have some statistics to find out how many skilled migrants end up becoming chronic dole bludgers vs how many go on to contribute towards taxes?
Old May 21st 2010, 11:18 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
It's not been easy I can tell you, been waiting just over 3 months now and have been actively seeking work in just about everywhere, nobody gets back to you either!!! I was fortunate enough to get 6 weeks Teacher Aide work in a local high school but that came to an end. My OH is working and has been since day dot, but obviously two wages are better than one eh...

Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...ho hum!
Best of luck with the job hunting Jen. We're in the same boat regarding wages - Hubbie's been out of work for nearly 6 months and he's getting so frustrated with the lack of respect shown by some of the recruitment agencies. I keep chanting 'patience is a virtue' too!
Old May 21st 2010, 11:23 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the topic of the post, Footscray has a great market that is quite cheap http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...ls.php?id=1387
There's also Aldi and NQR for groceries but most of the grocery shops around Footscray are also probably cheaper than Coles or Woolies.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sass73
Back to the topic of the post, Footscray has a great market that is quite cheap http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...ls.php?id=1387
There's also Aldi and NQR for groceries but most of the grocery shops around Footscray are also probably cheaper than Coles or Woolies.

Any idea current rental market in and around Footscray area, preferably two bedroom apartment.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sass73
Best of luck with the job hunting Jen. We're in the same boat regarding wages - Hubbie's been out of work for nearly 6 months and he's getting so frustrated with the lack of respect shown by some of the recruitment agencies. I keep chanting 'patience is a virtue' too!
What kind of job is your hubby looking for ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.