Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money Transferrals - taxed after 6 months. is it true?

Money Transferrals - taxed after 6 months. is it true?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:27 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money Trans*****ls - taxed after 6 months. is it true?

Originally Posted by fremantle
Hi

Could I ask a question please. When I emigrate, hopefully in a couple of months, I will be entering Australia on a PMV. I do not intend to sell my property in the UK straight away because of the depressed market but also because my daughter will probably be taking up residence and continue to pay the mortgage and bills at cost.

I have no idea at the moment when I will sell the house, it could be a year, or two or more but wondered what the tax implications would be for not bringing the money over soon after I emigrate. Does it go against me because I won't be selling straight away?

I wouldn't be making any profit having my daughter live in the property, she will simply be covering costs.

Looking forward to receiving clarification. Many thanks
If you're coming as a PR (PMV?) then any income you make on property will be subject to tax both in the UK and Aus (although you don't get taxed twice). If as you say your daughter will be covering all costs and hence your income is zero then there is no tax to pay to either country.*

When it comes to selling. The UK effectively gives you 3 years plus a tax free amount (or nothing to pay if you stay away for 5 tax years). Aus gives you 6 years as long as you don't buy another property. If you buy another property then you will need to get the UK one valued as you could be liable to gains from that point. If you sell the UK house and move the money within 12 months then it's all treated as one transaction and you're not liable for any gain made between the sale and the exchange of money. If you move the money after 12 months then you could be liable.

Whatever you do, get a private ruling from the ATO. It's easy - it's just a form that you fill in. You can also ask for a ruling in advance if that will help you decide what is the best course of action.

* Note: Aus actually allows you to claim rental losses against non-rental income. Something the UK doesn't allow. It's worth bearing in mind as you may spend money on the place (that your daughter quite reasonable wouldn't cover) which may be an allowable expense. If so, then this can be used to reduce your Aus tax bill.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 25th 2009 at 8:29 am.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fremantle
Hi

Could I ask a question please. When I emigrate, hopefully in a couple of months, I will be entering Australia on a PMV. I do not intend to sell my property in the UK straight away because of the depressed market but also because my daughter will probably be taking up residence and continue to pay the mortgage and bills at cost.

I have no idea at the moment when I will sell the house, it could be a year, or two or more but wondered what the tax implications would be for not bringing the money over soon after I emigrate. Does it go against me because I won't be selling straight away?
When you sell the house, you may have to pay capital gains tax (subject to the exemption for main residence, which may or may not apply). You may make a profit or a loss. The profit may be taxed, any loss could in some circumstances be offset against other profits.

Other than that, it's all been discussed many, many times already.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Money Transferrals - taxed after 6 months. is it true?

Thanks for the replies to my question - much appreciated.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

So, if one was lucky enough to have a large amount of £'s and waited say 6-12 months after arriving in order to get a better rate and ended up with $100 extra than when they arrived in Oz........

(achievable when you look at high movements like 2.6 in Oct vs 2.09 today)

........then what tax would you have to pay on that? (bearing in mind 12 months CGT 50% discount?

Also I have a Barclays account which was opened when I was still at school in the early 80's but when I rang to check when it was opened they gave me a date in the late 80's so I missed the 1986 deadline!!!!

They said this is because once you hit 18 they change your account to an adult account!!! So that will cost me CGT now!

But.................if when I leave I do a power of attorny to an aunties account pre dating 1986 and her account is used to transfer money to ukforex with me as the benficiary in Australia would that be OK to beat the CGT trap????
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

$100k that is!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

simonking is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Leaving for OZ on the 22nd Feb. I'm at that point of transferring GBP to AUD with HifiX, and was informed today that if you leave it longer than 6 months after arrival into Oz, you are taxed a large amount on any additional increase in the exchange rate since leaving UK.
I'm not really sure what to do as I could leave a large amount in UK for another year ( then may need it for property), but then I considered the higher interest rates in Oz savings acounts. That increase is nothing compared to what I could loose (i'm guessing) if the exchange fallls even lower by this time next year, and I haven't exchanged. Or the exchange rate is better, but I loose ??? amounts due to taxation post emigration.
Are there any financial wizards out there who could offer their opinion pleeeease
Thanks in advance.
There has been much discussion and confusion on this forum of tax on GBP to AUD cash transfers. A lot of this is misinformation and as JAJ says based on legislation mainly applicable to companies and forex traders.

The Australian Tax Office say that no tax is due on cash transfer “gains” or claimable against “losses” as long as it is your personal cash. If in Australia and waiting to make the transfer you would of course be due for interest on the capital.

So, do be careful and check with the tax office yourself and don’t pay unnecessary tax, because it would seem that anyone choosing to pay tax on such transfers does so voluntarily.

Regards
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonking
There has been much discussion and confusion on this forum of tax on GBP to AUD cash transfers. A lot of this is misinformation and as JAJ says based on legislation mainly applicable to companies and forex traders.
I think you need to read this before saying JAJ is right.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...AJ#post5396098

The Australian Tax Office say that no tax is due on cash transfer “gains” or claimable against “losses” as long as it is your personal cash. If in Australia and waiting to make the transfer you would of course be due for interest on the capital.
The ATO said the opposite on my personal ruling. You may find the personal cash bit exempts people changing money for holidays or business trips.

So, do be careful and check with the tax office yourself and don’t pay unnecessary tax, because it would seem that anyone choosing to pay tax on such transfers does so voluntarily.

Regards
There is so much complication in this area that even many accounts don't know for sure what the rules are. The only way to be sure is to get a personal ruling. Preferably before you make the transfer.

Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

simonking is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think you need to read this before saying JAJ is right.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...AJ#post5396098

The ATO said the opposite on my personal ruling. You may find the personal cash bit exempts people changing money for holidays or business trips.

There is so much complication in this area that even many accounts don't know for sure what the rules are. The only way to be sure is to get a personal ruling. Preferably before you make the transfer.

I think you have proved my point!

I was advised that the last thing to do on this issue is to get a personal tax ruling (as you did) because you are stuck with it if you get someone preparing it who is not fully conversant with how things are applied in practice - which applies to many ATO personnel.

Regards
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone out there had a favourable tax ruling on this who can cut and paste it as a post?

or someone in Oz who can get a personal ruling on this (preferably someone who has no £'s left in UK to bring over as then not have to abide by the ruling!)
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:02 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Regards

Good thread, interesting post, thanks.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

maybe a wild card? but what about ping pongers? as we already have tax file numbers, and will be returning to oz with a substantial amount of money but as its from our business will have already been taxed here in the uk! somewhat 40%.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:17 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lisaroo
maybe a wild card? but what about ping pongers? as we already have tax file numbers, and will be returning to oz with a substantial amount of money but as its from our business will have already been taxed here in the uk! somewhat 40%.
I agree, something mentioned before, you arrive in Oz 01/09 at 2:1, spend say a year there, go home for a month or two, go back to Oz 02/10 /04/10 at 3:1 change your money over this time? When do you become a resident the first time or the second time of arrival, murky waters?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

what happens if you leave your money overseas and just withdraw from ATM's?