Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money transfer from Ireland

Money transfer from Ireland

Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice
Default Re: Money transfer from Ireland

we transferred from BOI to commonwealth(I know but in adelaide) and BOI done it via email as did not transfer until had activated account. Sent BOI an email, he phoned me after telling me when he would via email to ask security questions, and done it within the day but dealt with my branch
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

I did it with my AIB online banking (I was allowed a max of Euro 50,000 a day to transfer) didn’t have that much though, lol.

With their online banking they also let me choose what currency I wanted to transfer in, so I picked AUD and it told me the rate and how much I would get before I clicked submit.

24 hours later it was sitting in my ANZ account.

The problem with some banks in Ireland is you have to physically go into your branch to get them to do an international transfer (Halifax Ireland, Perm TSB etc etc) so unless you’re there, it’s hard.

Good luck.

Mikey
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
I did it with my AIB online banking (I was allowed a max of Euro 50,000 a day to transfer) didn’t have that much though, lol.

With their online banking they also let me choose what currency I wanted to transfer in, so I picked AUD and it told me the rate and how much I would get before I clicked submit.

24 hours later it was sitting in my ANZ account.

The problem with some banks in Ireland is you have to physically go into your branch to get them to do an international transfer (Halifax Ireland, Perm TSB etc etc) so unless you’re there, it’s hard.

Good luck.

Mikey
Thanks. How did you add an international account to your online banking? I can only see how to add an irish one.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Thanks. How did you add an international account to your online banking? I can only see how to add an irish one.
Em, I did it when I first opened the account (2006) as I used to transfer money to my Oz account monthly to pay back my Credit card - I don’t remember if the option was already online or if I had to contact them to get them to add it on and I last used it in October last year when I moved back here to transfer most my money.

First have a look at your “transfer” section and there should be an “International” part, and in there you have a choice of Urgent or Standard and then it just asks for you Swift Code, IBAN (but no IBAN for Oz accounts), BSB, Account number, Bank name, account name, then amount and then currency. And you click send, and away it goes.

Once you transfer to the account then in the future that account will be there for you to select so you dont have to keep re-entering the details.

If you don’t have any of that on your internet banking just call them and i’m sure they can tell you how to get it on there. Also you will need to have your “code card” (they send it to you when you first set up internet banking).

If you don’t have your swift code or anything for your Oz bank, contact them and they can give you everything you need.

Mikey
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, it was a silly question. The link is on the left. So easy to spot lol Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, it was a silly question. The link is on the left. So easy to spot lol Thanks
lol, no probs.

Good luck.

Mikey
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
lol, no probs.

Good luck.

Mikey
Exchange rates are looking strong today. FYI.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice

Originally Posted by goat eyes
Hi , I have used Ozforex for 8 transactions & they have been great. Sign up online & scan & email ID, all easy enough. Also worth signing up with Hifx as well (just forward them the same email with ID scanned & attached), play them off against each other, & I would suggest haggling when they give you a price, they will always do a bit better if you ask them. When they give you the 'better' price, ask Hifx what they will do, repeat, choose the best rate..... you get the idea !!

Ozforex get you to send the money from Ireland to their Euro account in France (Therefore Euro to Euro - no transfer fee) they send it from France to OZ. Changing the lot in one go may , or may not be the best thing to do, maybe have a think about that one...

http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/EUR/data120.html - this link will give a 'rough' idea as to where you are at - maybe save it as a bookmark/or favourite - you'll be addicted to it !!

I exchanged a fair whack at €1- 1.721AUD 3 days ago, not bad.....
Set up Ozforex 'rate alerts' to your mobile - i found this handy...

Best of luck !

Slán !
Agreed on Ozforex/UKforex. Very good and very easy to use and most of all SECURE. I have used them quiet abit the last few months and have had no problems.

They offer much better rates than the rip of AIBs and Bank of Irelands of this world.

Best of luck on your trip, I hope I wont be to far behind you.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by In Like Flynn
Agreed on Ozforex/UKforex. Very good and very easy to use and most of all SECURE. I have used them quiet abit the last few months and have had no problems.

They offer much better rates than the rip of AIBs and Bank of Irelands of this world.

Best of luck on your trip, I hope I wont be to far behind you.
Aaaaaaaarrrrghh. Trying to open a Citibank account. I submitted the application but I cant transfer funds until I provide identification, which I cant do until I'm in Australia.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by knockoff nige; Sep 4th 2008 at 8:16 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:29 am
Dublin to Sunshine Coast

goat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant future

Aaaaaaaarrrrghh. Trying to open a Citibank account. I submitted the application but I cant transfer funds until I provide identification, which I cant do until I'm in Australia.

Anyone got any ideas?
I think Westpac do an immigrant account that you can open from Ireland.

there are a few threads about it on here, give it a search !

Good Luck !
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

douser is an unknown quantity at this point

That's right I opened an account a few nights ago online. There's a thread by techno freak a while ago which outlines how to activate internet banking on these accounts as well. You can transfer money into the account but will need to meet ID points check to withdraw when you arrive in Oz.

Something that wasn't mentioned about using Ozforex or Hifix that I find very useful is that if you are watching the rates you can book a forward rate which is basically where you lock in the current rate but actually transfer the bulk of the money at a future date. The other is limit orders where you set a rate at which you want to transfer and the dealing agent will wait and if and when the rate meets the target rate the exchange order goes through. If you're organised or don't need the money immediately or want to take advantage of present good rates in the future then this is very useful.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by douser
That's right I opened an account a few nights ago online. There's a thread by techno freak a while ago which outlines how to activate internet banking on these accounts as well. You can transfer money into the account but will need to meet ID points check to withdraw when you arrive in Oz.

Something that wasn't mentioned about using Ozforex or Hifix that I find very useful is that if you are watching the rates you can book a forward rate which is basically where you lock in the current rate but actually transfer the bulk of the money at a future date. The other is limit orders where you set a rate at which you want to transfer and the dealing agent will wait and if and when the rate meets the target rate the exchange order goes through. If you're organised or don't need the money immediately or want to take advantage of present good rates in the future then this is very useful.
I would prefer Citibank to do this though as they offer free banking, Westbank - not so much. Maybe Citibank will reply to my email (they didnt for my last one) and show me how I can do a transfer.