Money to Oz

Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:40 am
Just Joined

zander2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money to Oz

We're flying out to Oz in September, eventually heading for Melbourne. However we'll be taking a holiday in Port Douglas and Brisbane before we end up at our final destination. Given that I'll have closed all my credit card accounts and our funds will have been transfered to Melbourne, can anyone suggest the best way to take enough money to see us through our holiday before we're able activate our Australian bank account in Melbourne. I don't want to take cash. I thought of leaving money in a UK bank account and using ATMs in Oz to access the cash. Any advice?

Thanks

Alex
Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Money to Oz

Originally Posted by zander2
We're flying out to Oz in September, eventually heading for Melbourne. However we'll be taking a holiday in Port Douglas and Brisbane before we end up at our final destination. Given that I'll have closed all my credit card accounts and our funds will have been transfered to Melbourne, can anyone suggest the best way to take enough money to see us through our holiday before we're able activate our Australian bank account in Melbourne. I don't want to take cash. I thought of leaving money in a UK bank account and using ATMs in Oz to access the cash. Any advice?

Thanks

Alex
Keeping your UK credit cards open is one really good option.

Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:53 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

If you use a credit card Nationwide are the only UK bank that offer a credit card with no fee when using abroad.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BKate
If you use a credit card Nationwide are the only UK bank that offer a credit card with no fee when using abroad.
My UK HSBC credit card hasn't charged me any fees for Australian use yet.