Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

money to go.........

money to go.........

Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice
Default money to go.........

Hi all, am currently looking into how to get my money over to Aus. I was going to open an HSBC account over here (prob just on the phone) then just transfer the money straight into it from my uk account that im planing on keeping. I've also got some ISAs but are they worth hanging on to? From the top of my head i'm getting about 5.2% pa interest from them but from what i see on the savings accounts in Aus you can get anything up to 8%.
Also if i transfered all my money to an Aus account then say in a couple of years, i wanted to come back to the UK and transfer it all back again, would i have to pay any tax? (even if the amount was more than originally transfered over) thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:33 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money to go.........

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Hi all, am currently looking into how to get my money over to Aus. I was going to open an HSBC account over here (prob just on the phone) then just transfer the money straight into it from my uk account that im planing on keeping. I've also got some ISAs but are they worth hanging on to? From the top of my head i'm getting about 5.2% pa interest from them but from what i see on the savings accounts in Aus you can get anything up to 8%.
Also if i transfered all my money to an Aus account then say in a couple of years, i wanted to come back to the UK and transfer it all back again, would i have to pay any tax? (even if the amount was more than originally transfered over) thanks.
The best rates for transferring cash about seem to be with either UKForex or HiFX... very simple to set up, just fill in a couple of forms and send off the inevitable ID proofs, etc...

You can certainly get better than 5.2% out here, but you'll be taxed on it whereas your ISA's at the moment are free of tax I think... As far as getting a definitive answer on tax questions I think you'd be better off talking to an accountant who'd know or an agent with expertise in this field like Alan Collett...

HTH...
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Originally Posted by rodders39
The best rates for transferring cash about seem to be with either UKForex or HiFX... very simple to set up, just fill in a couple of forms and send off the inevitable ID proofs, etc...

You can certainly get better than 5.2% out here, but you'll be taxed on it whereas your ISA's at the moment are free of tax I think... As far as getting a definitive answer on tax questions I think you'd be better off talking to an accountant who'd know or an agent with expertise in this field like Alan Collett...

HTH...

cheers rodders, will check that out.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39

HTH...
Your ISAs of course *will* be taxed in Australia. The tax treatment of any overseas earnings at point of receipt has no relevance to Australian tax in most cases.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tony_russell
cheers rodders, will check that out.
We used Ozforex, very easy and simple.
Book your money when the rates are high.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

You can certainly get better than 5.2% out here, but you'll be taxed on it

You get hammered for tax here...............any interest earned will be taxed at source, then the interest will be added to your yearly income, and taken into account for tax again!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

You get hammered for tax here...............any interest earned will be taxed at source, then the interest will be added to your yearly income, and taken into account for tax again!!
That's not right - if you haven't supplied your TFN to the bank then they tax your interest (which is the only time they do it), but you get any excess tax back when you do your tax return.

If you have supplied your TFN to the bank then they don't deduct any tax at source.

Interest is not taxed twice.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

Uh?